Mobius mounting solutions

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
If you have some ideas about Mobius mounting solutions, you can post here. Pictures will be great.

My personal mount started with this product which is used in ceilings/buildings. I don't know the name in english, sorry, I found it by chance.
More simple is to use some radar detector windshield mount, something like this:
Radar detector mount.JPG

So I used this:
01 CD 60 ceiling support.jpg
and I made 2 mounts from it:
02 Split support.jpg
one named Elastic Ring Mount and the other named Screw Mount:
03 Supports prepared.jpg

The finished job is looking like this:
Vs 01.jpg Vs 02.jpg

Here are some mount comparisons and the reason of my work: the smallest possible mount.
Here are some details about the creation of both mounts.
Here is the mod to use the camera reversed in the case holder and easy mount and unmount.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
So this is what I have done with my Mobius ... I will go and take a photo at a later date of it in the car.

I would appreciate seeing a photo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Maybe the mount from the right could do directly the job.

Small mounts A.jpg Small mount B.jpg

In the second picture, on the left there is another case, not a Mobius one because I don't have three Mobius.

Here are size comparisons with my DIY mounts:
Vs 03.jpg Vs 04.jpg Vs 05.jpg

The elastic mount is about 10mm height.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Maybe the mount from the right could do directly the job.

View attachment 1574 View attachment 1575

In the second picture, on the left there is another case, not a Mobius one because I don't have three Mobius.

enjoy,
Mtz

The last mount ( left one ) DR32, 808, I think is most practical.
I tried Mobius other two on some cars with more vertical wind-shield and could not adjust angle write, because ball-joint does not give that much space.
For busses, trucks, etc. , with almost vertical ( closer to 90 degree ) wind-shield angle, DR32 bracket would fit best.

The lack of angle adjustment put me off of the ball-joint attachment also..

I had been using a suction cup version of my set up. Hacked down all the non essential plastic bits of of a tiny suction cup from my K6000 camera and re drilled holes it ended up being a small as the mobius fixed attachment type you have there in pic 2. Pretty much why I think I moved the lens, it gave me closer mounting to the windscreen.

I feel I needed a quick release option though as I dont want to leave my Mobius in the sun to fry it and overheat it. Will be the same in the winter as i don't know what leaving it in freezing car will do to it.

Picture is of my small suction cup from the K6000 on the left along side a standard size one that I put on my K6000 instead. I sometimes use the K6000 still, but in plain sight as a sat nav to all that see it (hence the Garmin Logo). Lol

You did nice and simple DIY. Great job and good idea for Mobius users who wants to do something similar.
Also I can see you have "branded" your dash camera.

The mount from right from my previous pictures (DR32) have quick-release.
You can put the screws part in any position because there is a square, not a rectangle.

Small dashcam mount.jpg Smallest dashcam mount.jpg Smallest dashcam mount with quick release.jpg

I don't know how good is the 3M tape to resist for many unmounts. But also the Mobius have an quick release. But to be "quick" the two bumps must to be adjusted by cutting.

For me, the best mount is the radar detector mount type.

Radar detector mount.JPG

Of course, it needs some adjustments, maybe a hole in the detector mount and insert a screw for the official Mobius case holder.
But the best is when you will do it yourself. The metal can be bent for the best position. You can even put dual adhesive tape directlty on the Mobius.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Cheers Niko. Hiding my 'reserve' Cam in Plain sight seemed like a good idea. It looks like a satnav, so why not.

Mtz, they look like good options. The only thing that worries me with the 3M tape is that some people advise its easier to remove when heated and also a new cam on the market has a winter and a summer type of 3M tape. Which leads me to wonder if a hard frost may effect the glue. Or indeed direct sunlight or just heat when the windscreen is cleared in the cold winter time.

Though Im always catching suction cup mounted cams in the winter..... or my dash is. :(

My Prestigio 300 rear cam is mounted by a hard drive magnet (veeerry powerful), that isnt going anywhere. Thats a rear cam mounting discussion though. lol

Instead of double-sided tape, 3M, dual lock, etc., I had idea of using magnetic mount.

My few projects I successfully use fridge door seal magnets:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index....bracket-mount-holder-instead-of-3m-tape.2169/
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index....-mount-dismount-magnetic-bracket-holder.2216/

This was quick DIY from what I found at home.

Also instead of fridge magnetic strips can use neodymium magnets, which are much stronger in ratio: size vs magnetic strength. I found few dash cameras on Chinese market already using this kind of neodymium magnet bracket solution.

I know a couple more cameras have been developed that have the magnetic mount which will be released this month so probably some more ideas will come out of that once they're out in the market for the diy types

Here's my rear view mirror mount. Cheap, simple and works well. It's made from a spring clip (available from any hardware store), some plastic (perspex) cut to suit and velcro. The velcro has been super glued to the Mobius mount and the perspex to ensure it doesn't peel off.
(I purchased a USB right angle plug adapter to help the power cable clear the rear view mirror)

Attachments

• Mirror mount.JPG
    Mirror mount.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Mobius Mount velcro.JPG
    Mobius Mount velcro.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 914
  • Mobius attached.JPG
    Mobius attached.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 940
The clip is black - it's covered with black heatshrink (the flash has washed the colour out in the pic. ;) ) There's no wobble in the video on playback. I've bent the clip to tension it so it grips tightly. Here's some video

I've made a similar mount out of a piece of bent sheet metal for a rear Mobius. It's stuck to the top section of the window with double sided tape and hugs the profile of the roof lining. I'll have to take pics of it.

Reactions: Jim
Because the Mobius is too close to the windshield and it cannot be unmounted from the case holder. So I modified the mount to insert the camera in the case holder from the driver direction, not from the windshield direction.
My mod is not a piece of art, but easy to use also because I cut the two stoppers.

Mobius case holder.jpg Mobius case holder 2.jpg Mobius case holder 3.jpg Mobius case holder 4.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Good idea.
I have done something similar, but with magnetic attachment for quick easy mount-dismount to put into pocket only mobius unit without bracket. Will share pictures soon.

Yes, nice. Where did you get the large elastic "band" from?

In my country there are many small stores named something like haberdashery. I bought a half meter with $1.2. But of course you can use the elastic from some... old clothes.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
I initially fixed my Mobius to the headlining using 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Tape SJ4570. The inability to aim the camera optimally, & the weakness of the bond with the headlining material made this location impractical.

CIMG6218a.JPG

I moved it to the top of the rear view mirror. Again, the inability to aim the camera optimally made this location impractical.

Now I've mounted it as shown below. I would have preferred to attach the mount to the back of the rear view mirror, however, insufficient articulation in the ball & socket joint made this impossible.

CIMG6223a.JPG

The mount is supplied with 3M VHB tape attached. I doubted that it would stay fixed to the headling long-term, so I used two self-tapping screws as well. Seems firmly affixed.

If anyone wants the same mount, I bought it from E-Prance. Paid US $3.20 delivered (minimum order 2) = $6.40 total Weight 29 grams each. From China to UK took 13 days.

I like more your first picture mount if the windshield wipers are cleaning that top most area. In that position using the radar detector mount idea could be better.
I will never sacrifice the best position of a dashcam just to use a ball mount.
If still want a screw type mount you can search for the DR32 type which was presented on the first page of this topic.

enjoy,
Mtz

I like more your first picture mount if the windshield wipers are cleaning that top most area. In that position using the radar detector mount idea could be better.
I will never sacrifice the best position of a dashcam just to use a ball mount.
If still want a screw type mount you can search for the DR32 type which was presented on the first page of this topic.

enjoy,
Mtz

I like the DR32 type mount, however, it lacks the articulation I wanted. Fine for setting the 'angle of dangle', but basically adjustable in only one plane ... if that's the correct terminology.

My current mount isn't necessarily the final solution. Still thinking about possible alternatives. One thing I won't do is attach it to the windscreen ... I have an aversion to things stuck to the windscreen.

Maybe you will realise that the radar detector mount type is the best for a camera like Mobius.

enjoy,
Mtz

I like the DR32 type mount, however, it lacks the articulation I wanted. Fine for setting the 'angle of dangle', but basically adjustable in only one plane ... if that's the correct terminology.

My current mount isn't necessarily the final solution. Still thinking about possible alternatives. One thing I won't do is attach it to the windscreen ... I have an aversion to things stuck to the windscreen.
Would it make sense to make a little wedge about the size of the mobius, and attach it between your headliner and the mobius? You could adjust the vertical angle required for the wedge prior to mounting to determine the correct slope of the wedge.

Back