Mobius replacement

lamboboy732

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mx-5: Mobius Lens B
I have been away from the forum for quite some time, but the recent failure of my mobius brings me back. Unfortunately it is totally dead after about two years or so. It will no longer power up or record, it only gets extremely hot. My question for you all is, should I purchase another Mobuis, likely with the C2 lens for $70, or is there a better option available that will have similar customization settings as well as size. I am open to anything that is around $100 or less and has an easily reachable power plug. I often plug my mobius into a battery pack for parked monitoring and would like to do the same with another. A capacitor is also a must since the camera will be running during extreme heat while parked. The only dislike I have of the mobius is the hit or miss low light performance. Any suggestions are welcome.

You could install another board in your Mobius for ~$50 US which should fix it. The JooVuu is beyond your price range and that's about all of the good cams made in this form factor. AFAIK there's nothing substantially better than Mobius at night although that can be had in other styles of cams. The M2 promises to be better- it should mature into an excellent cam- but read up about it first as it's not quite ready for prime time today. I'll be buying one of them myself soon if development continues to go as it has so far; good but a little slow.

Phil

The Mobius 2 will feature dramatically better low light performance than the Mobius 1 although the camera still needs some firmware tweaking before I would recommend purchasing one.
As a beta tester for the last 4 months who has been following the low light firmware progress go from completely unusable to downright impressive I would say that if that trend continues no other dash camera its size will likely come close.

M2-dusk.jpg

M2-low2.jpg

M2-low3.jpg

The Mobius 2 will feature dramatically better low light performance than the Mobius 1 although the camera still needs some firmware tweaking before I would recommend purchasing one.
As a beta tester for the last 4 months who has been following the low light firmware progress go from completely unusable to downright impressive I would say that if that trend continues no other dash camera its size will likely come close.

View attachment 27498

View attachment 27499

View attachment 27500

Thanks for the info. What are the current issues with the mobius 2 that make it less recommendable than a standard mobius? Those sample shots look pretty good to me, are they with a beta firmware or is it publicly available? Also, does the mobius 2 take the same capacitor as the original or a different one?

Thanks for the info. What are the current issues with the mobius 2 that make it less recommendable than a standard mobius? Those sample shots look pretty good to me, are they with a beta firmware or is it publicly available? Also, does the mobius 2 take the same capacitor as the original or a different one?

That was one of the first public V2 firmware releases (V.2.01) . There's a V. 2.02 update since which I am just now testing.

The short answer is that there are still some issues to be worked out in low light such as motion blur - vs - exposure vs noise levels. I would recommend spending some time perusing the Mobius 2 forums such as the "support" thread and the "footage" thread to learn what is going on with the camera.

Yes, the Mobius 2 will accept the same super-capacitor module as the Mobius 1.

Last edited:
Back