Mobius Super Capacitor.

Out of interest, I tested the approx 12mth old remaining two good batteries I've got. After fully charging them I ran them on high quality (with audio) in 5 minute clips until they shutdown.

The rear camera (from the vehicle that doesn't get driven much) recorded it's last full video clip at the 90 minute mark - I'm fairly impressed with that. So that's the battery that has lived "a sheltered life" on a vehicle that hasn't been driven much and is normally garaged.

The other battery is the same age but has copped a flogging- being my "guinea pig". It lives in a vehicle that is usually driven daily and always parked outside in the weather - rarely with any shelter from the elements. It gets down to close to 0 degrees C here at night in Winter (now) and it lived in the vehicle through Summer with regular 40 degree C days (peaks of 45) with no shading. It's mounted in the windscreen on the rear view mirror arm (so between the windscreen and mirror.) It should have died a long time ago, but the last full five minute clip was recorded at 60 minutes!

So there you go, out of my three Mobius the first one to die from battery failure was one of the two which rarely get used - fitted in a vehicle that is garaged most of the time. The two forward facing Mobius do have extra heatsinks fitted, but are otherwise standard.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 7 months & 4 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording every time the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off. No problems to report.

The capacitor kit is available for as little as $6 (from Banggood).

Make sure you use coupon code b185f7 to get 5% off.

This summer in the LA, California area has been mostly mild, except for the last 2 weeks. Now it's hot as we reach the end of summer. Temps are reaching 95F, 35C. My Mobius battery seems to survive this heat so far. I still need to upgrade to a super capacitor, but my work load at the college has gone off the charts. Maybe in mid-December when the semester ends, I'll have the time to play around. :)

This summer in the LA, California area has been mostly mild, except for the last 2 weeks. Now it's hot as we reach the end of summer. Temps are reaching 95F, 35C. My Mobius battery seems to survive this heat so far. I still need to upgrade to a super capacitor, but my work load at the college has gone off the charts. Maybe in mid-December when the semester ends, I'll have the time to play around. :)
Its a 5 minute job Bob, how's the lawns looking at home!

Hey guys, if you set the Mobius and the OG battery to turn off when the engine shuts off, then what's the purpose of this capacitor? Both kinds of battery will shut off when the engine is off. So what makes the capacitor better? Please advise, thank you.

Hey guys, if you set the Mobius and the OG battery to turn off when the engine shuts off, then what's the purpose of this capacitor? Both kinds of battery will shut off when the engine is off. So what makes the capacitor better? Please advise, thank you.

The lithium-polymer batteries that come in most dash cams are problematic because they do not do well in environments such as a hot car. These batteries are prone to premature failure, damage such as swelling and can even pose a safety risk as they have been known to catch fire on rare occasions. A super-capacitor eliminates all of these problems and can last for hundreds of thousands of cycles. The capacitor will perform the same functions as the battery such as shut down cycle and keeping the date and time in memory for a week to ten days.

The lithium-polymer batteries that come in most dash cams are problematic because they do not do well in environments such as a hot car. These batteries are prone to premature failure, damage such as swelling and can even pose a safety risk as they have been known to catch fire on rare occasions. A super-capacitor eliminates all of these problems and can last for hundreds of thousands of cycles. The capacitor will perform the same functions as the battery such as shut down cycle and keeping the date and time in memory for a week to ten days.

Kind of like this.....

Battery%2520swell.JPG

This is the battery in my Mini 0803. I was smelling something strange one day so decided to take a look. Was not happy with what I saw. :eek:

Yup. That's a pretty good example of a swollen Li-Po battery. It shouldn't be too hard to find a suitable replacement though.

I've been watching this thread for some time while I was waiting for the supercap for my Mobius to arrive. Today I switched to the supercap. As far as I've tested it seems that everything works fine. There is only one thing that is not clear to me. I've read that it is important for the Mobius that the power is stable at the 5~6 second mark. I usually start the car directly after turning the key for the first time, so there would be ~1 second power, then ~1 second no power when the engine is being cranked, and after that the power is back on and not interrupted anymore until the end of the journey. This raises the question for how long the supercap is able to power the Mobius until it runs out of power. For example in the winter, it sometimes takes 2-3 seconds to crank the engine. This would happen before the crucial 5~6 second mark. As the Mobius doesn't check for the power state then, it will continue to load the firmware. So, would this be a problem or does the supercap have enough power reserve to handle this situation?

My mobius sometimes shuts down because of this issue so I installed a small switch on the power cable so I can easily restart both my cameras at the same time from the dashboard just by flicking the switch

sanchaz12, this will be helpful:

he uses the same size capacitor like the "original" mobius super capacitor.

very helpful, I see now why some people have problems with not recording at power up, this is fixable in the firmware

Nice 16 bit sound track in the video

yeah seemed like a Super Mario Brothers production, very annoying, some of the text colours were a challenge to read against the background also, did highlight what they've been doing wrong though

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 8 months & 5 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording every time the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off. No problems to report.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 8 months & 5 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording every time the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off. No problems to report.

My experience has been essentially the same.......100% long term, set-it and forget it recording start-up and reliability with a Banggood supplied super-cap. Occasionally, I'll review footage and reformat the cards.

Hey @russ331, thanks for updating. What do you think of v2.18?

Back