Mobius Super Capacitor.

Amazing how quickly they can expire once they get a bit of warm weather on them

Yes, it's crazy how quickly they puff. I actually think that my wife's battery puffed the first day it was mounted. It was in the 80's (Fahrenheit) around here but we took a trip and it was in the mid to high 90's there. We parked the car for a couple of hours and the car smelled funny inside when we returned. I should have know and/or removed the Mobius while parked but I didn't. Over the next couple of days the "funny smell" would be gone at night but returned during the day. It slowly went away a few days later but I think the damage was done. I somehow knew it was the battery but didn't want to think it could happen so fast.

Yes, it's crazy how quickly they puff. I actually think that my wife's battery puffed the first day it was mounted. It was in the 80's (Fahrenheit) around here but we took a trip and it was in the mid to high 90's there. We parked the car for a couple of hours and the car smelled funny inside when we returned. I should have know and/or removed the Mobius while parked but I didn't. Over the next couple of days the "funny smell" would be gone at night but returned during the day. It slowly went away a few days later but I think the damage was done. I somehow knew it was the battery but didn't want to think it could happen so fast.
Is there any chance that this could occur with a capacitor? Thanks

Capacitors don't tend to have those sorts of problems in the heat mate, I've just had to ditch my Macbook battery as that puffed up big time in the hot spell we've had recently to the point it popped the bottom of the laptop open!

Is there any chance that this could occur with a capacitor? Thanks

The temperature range that Capacitors can handle is much higher than that of a lithium battery. If the temp gets hot enough the capacitor will out gas too, but it's highly unlikely to happen in these conditions.

Caps tend to do their major fails when powering up. Once in use they may go out of spec causing functionality problems or they may fail to hold power when worn out. They can let go anytime there is power going to them but other than the above it's a rare event. Old dry paper-type caps can be shall we say "interesting" but these are totally different. If no problems occur in the first minute that session will 99.999% or better probably be OK.

Still on LiPo here, going to open the unit next week for the first time. It's been in my closed workvan for weeks and has probably seen temps of 100-105F deg for several hours a day for a week. Going to convert to caps soon.

Phil

Haven't been on here for a while, but I'm looking at replacing another dying battery in one of my Mobius. The vehicle it's in doesn't get driven much and can sit for 4 weeks - so a Super Cap won't keep the clock ticking over for that long (and the Lipo's don't like that sort of treatment either.)

Am I right in saying a Mobius will operate perfectly well (apart from the date/ time being lost) starting operation with a completely flat capacitor? (ie. All the relevant Mobius settings are permanently written on the memory card. I'll disable the date time stamp and just use the Mobius for video footage.)

I don't want to fit another Lipo and have it die prematurely. Losing the date/ time stamp doesn't concern me.

Why don't you remove the Mobius and keep in the house? Hook it up again when you use the car.

They'd still need to be charged regularly otherwise it would be no different to leaving them in the car.

There are also two of them and they aren't that easy to remove/ refit.

If you don't care about looks, you could add another (maybe bigger) super cap in parallel on the outside of the case. Kind of like what I did on my Mini0803 here. If you look earlier in that thread I list parts I used too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice mods you did there. :)

I've found the clock to not be very accurate long term (like over a couple of months) so aren't that concerned if I lose the time date stamp. I might just go ahead and order the standard capacitors.

It also appears to only be one of the two Mobius having problems with the battery going flat over those extended periods of no use. The battery has probably lasted a couple of years?

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 18 months & 15 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

I just got a new C2 few days ago. Having a heat wave in the low desert where I live so holding off on the install till it cools a bit. Wondering if there is anything specific that you need to set in mSetup.exe for the capacitor setup that's different from the battery? Please share if you know, thanks.

I just got a new C2 few days ago. Having a heat wave in the low desert where I live so holding off on the install till it cools a bit. Wondering if there is anything specific that you need to set in mSetup.exe for the capacitor setup that's different from the battery? Please share if you know, thanks.

Nothing special is needed for the super-capacitor other than installing it.

Why not go ahead and install the C2? A heat wave would be the perfect time to test if the new C2 lens module is free of heat related focus issues.

Wondering if there is anything specific that you need to set in mSetup.exe for the capacitor setup that's different from the battery?
'Power off Disconnect' must be set to Immediate, as the capacitor only holds enough charge to save the clip being recorded when external power is cut, & to keep the time / date accurate.

You should set "Power Off disconnect" to "immediate".

'Power off Disconnect' must be set to Immediate, as the capacitor only holds enough charge to save the clip being recorded when external power is cut, & to keep the time / date accurate.

Thanks for mentioning that. I totally forgot as I haven't thought about it in so long. :confused:

[/QUOTE]Why not go ahead and install the C2? A heat wave would be the perfect time to test if the new C2 lens module is free of heat related focus issues.[/QUOTE]
Plenty of time to test in the summer heat, no worries. BTY, msetup lets you select one of three video formats, mov avi mp4. Do they all work? My Lukas is in avi and would like to use avi in mobius too, any problems?

not sure AVI works perfectly, might be an audio sync issue from memory, personally that would be my last choice as there are less editing options

Back