Mobius Super Capacitor.

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius, SG, Viofo
Yesterday I did the weekly check on recording integrity. The ‘newest’ Mobius had failed to record the final file.

I took Mobius indoors & connected it to a wall USB charger. I recorded for 10 minutes. The result was 3 x 3 minute files. No sign of the final 1 minute file.

Using mSetup, I formatted 2 new memory cards, also ensuring that ‘Power off Disconnect’ was set to ‘Immediate’. Repeating the exercise with the new cards gave the same result each time … 3 x 3 minute files but no final 1 minute file.

I think that the Super Capacitor is failing. I could buy a new one, but it may be time to retire this Mobius, & keep it as a source of spare parts for the other one, which continues to work fine. It certainly owes me nothing, having far exceeded my expectations re longevity, etc.
It's a good thing you are still doing the weekly integrity test and found this fault before it was too late. I suspect many of us 'set & forget' for longer than we should, or become complacent thinking the old Mobius will just keep on running....

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
Well you had a good innings there @russ331, you certainly got your moneys worth out of that set of capacitors.

I think both my Mobius cameras are still sat on batteries, whether they work anymore is anyones guess, I never did get around to fitting the caps. I lost track of a lot of stuff in the last house move years ago after the wife tidied, and it's been the same ever since :D

russ331

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius B (x2) & A119
Update. I installed a capacitor in my oldest Mobius cam 7 years 9 months ago. It starts recording when the engine is started. It holds date & time correctly, & saves the last file after the engine is switched off.

It’s only in use a few times a week. My other Mobius retired from service when it’s capacitor failed after 7 years 5 months.