Mobius Super Capacitor.

Good idea, but I think it would confuse the majority of users. It's just as easy to click on the "Immediate" Power Off button which is also used by non-dashcam users who have no interest in supercaps. The supercaps are mentioned in the tooltip and also in the manual and I also expect users to test the important settings before using their camera in the real world. I would think that anyone using supercaps is perfectly aware of the dangers of losing data if the parameter is incorrectly set, I least I hope so ;)

It may help if dashcam users would create a dashcam profile which they could then use as a basis before changing parameters. Of course, this wouldn't prevent users removing the "Immediate" Power off, but it could be useful all the same.

With each larger firmware update the GUI also becomes more cramped and I'm always battling to find space but still keep the parameters grouped together as best as possible. I've had to completely rearrange the GUI for the upcoming step 2 firmware versions, always keeping step 3 in mind!

Fair enough replay, Thanks.

Unfortunately, that is not possible with the current hardware design. For the firmware, the supercap is basically no different than a battery. Building hardware sensing circuitry just isn't worth the trouble, IMO. Adding more sensing circuitry can drastically complicate the firmware and bugs can easily slip in. Maybe some users would want to use large external supercaps which have enough energy to record 10 seconds and more. These users would not want any automatic detection!

Ok, understand now complexity. No big deal for me to use power from reading lights with 30-60 sec power-off delay.

niko, if you can find a super capacitor to fit the Mobius could you please post where you got it from.
Isoprop has already posted the type and dimensions of the super capacitor but I have been unable to find one in Australia.

Type into ANY search engine: Capacitor 2.7V 5F ( Farad )

Aliexpress:
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale....7V+5F&catId=&initiative_id=SB_20131207101030

Mostly they sell capacitors there in lots, due to 1pcs being too cheap to sell individually.
Cheapest 20pcs lot cost 44.20usd incl shipping:

You can do also google for local australian online sellers, like
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=R4941

or just go to any electronics accessories / repair shop and you should find it from there, just ask Capacitor 2.7V 5F ( Farad )

Type into ANY search engine: Capacitor 2.7V 5F ( Farad )

Aliexpress:
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=capacitor 2.7V 5F&catId=&initiative_id=SB_20131207101030

Mostly they sell capacitors there in lots, due to 1pcs being too cheap to sell individually.
Cheapest 20pcs lot cost 44.20usd incl shipping:

You can do also google for local australian online sellers, like
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=R4941

or just go to any electronics accessories / repair shop and you should find it from there, just ask Capacitor 2.7V 5F ( Farad )

Isoprop recommended the 2.7v 10F capacitor, will 5 Farad have enough storage.

Last edited by a moderator:
You haven't seen any results because I don't have any yet!
Temporary results show that the capacitor pair will probably keep the RTC (Real Time Clock) running for at least 7 days.
I have powered it for 7 days successfully, 10 days was a failure. Once I get the high value I'll repeat the tests. But this takes time, especially if I need my Mobius in the meantime ;)

There are hundreds of these available on aliexpress.com but the problem is the diameter. You want to look for 2 x 10F 2.7V Super Capacitor with a diameter no more than 9 mm and a length of approx. 25 mm. The length isn't so important but the diameter is. I've seen 10 mm supercaps, but they are most likely too thick to fit into the case. Another problem is the price, at least on Aliexpress. Either they are ridiculously expensive, the postage is more than ridiculous or you have to buy more than 100 pieces. A quick search on eBay didn't show anything suitable.

Isoprops recommendation.

Isoprops recommendation.

I know that,
and you can read what he saying about 10F size:

" You want to look for 2 x 10F 2.7V Super Capacitor with a diameter no more than 9 mm and a length of approx. 25 mm. The length isn't so important but the diameter is. I've seen 10 mm supercaps, but they are most likely too thick to fit into the case. Another problem is the price, at least on Aliexpress. Either they are ridiculously expensive, the postage is more than ridiculous or you have to buy more than 100 pieces. A quick search on eBay didn't show anything suitable."

I know that,
and you can read what he saying about 10F size:
" You want to look for 2 x 10F 2.7V Super Capacitor with a diameter no more than 9 mm and a length of approx. 25 mm. The length isn't so important but the diameter is. I've seen 10 mm supercaps, but they are most likely too thick to fit into the case. Another problem is the price, at least on Aliexpress. Either they are ridiculously expensive, the postage is more than ridiculous or you have to buy more than 100 pieces. A quick search on eBay didn't show anything suitable."

What he is saying is you need 2 x 10F 2.7vV super capacitors with dimensions of 25mm x 9mm.
If you can see a hidden message in there please tell me.

What he is saying is you need 2 x 10F 2.7vV super capacitors with dimensions of 25mm x 9mm.
If you can see a hidden message in there please tell me.

Yes, the bigger capacitors are better ( can keep time and setting longer ), but 10mm supercaps are too thick.
As I understand, @Mtz and @Isoprop both they used 2x 5F on the first place, so we better ask it from them how it works in real life.
For me I know I drive car every day, so 5F will not be a problem to keep settings / time 1-2 days.

Yes, the bigger capacitors are better ( can keep time and setting longer ), but 10mm supercaps are too thick.
As I understand, @Mtz and @Isoprop both they used 2x 5F on the first place, so we better ask it from them how it works in real life.
For me I know I drive car every day, so 5F will not be a problem to keep settings / time 1-2 days.

I don't want to bang on about this Niko, but I have yet to see a 5F super capacitor advertised with a diameter less than 10mm.

I don't want to bang on about this Niko, but I have yet to see a 5F super capacitor advertised with a diameter less than 10mm.

the ones pictured above seem to be model VEC 2R7 505 QG which are 10mm x 20mm according to the Vinatech catalogue

I was thinking maybe just to install bigger F capacitor ( of course size will be bigger ), and cut hole inside mobius casing so bigger capacitor will stick out and do some DIY on casing to cover that part the way that still can be mounted in car. Everything is possible for DIY enthusiast ;)

the ones pictured above seem to be model VEC 2R7 505 QG which are 10mm x 20mm according to the Vinatech catalogue

Thanks.

Strange. If looking at the supercaps on picture of @Mtz and @Isoprop and taking into consideration one supercap diameter 10mm then visually lenght is about 3x of diameter, so it means lenght is about 30mm, exactly the same size you mentioned using in your product ?
So, its means there are 10F supercaps out there with size 10 x 30mm that can fit into mobius without case modifications ?

the 5F caps are 10mm x 20mm, the 10F are 10mm x 30mm, I can't find a listing for any model in a 2.7v 5F that's longer but agree they do look longer in the pics above

the 5F caps are 10mm x 20mm, the 10F are 10mm x 30mm, I can't find a listing for any model in a 2.7v 5F that's longer but agree they do look longer in the pics above

Thanks. I will try to source out Korean Vina caps 10F 10 x 30mm and see how they fit.

Niko, have you had a chance to fit the super caps yet?

Back