Mobius Super Capacitor.

I'm a bit confused by all these links you've included in your post but the problem I describe is unrelated to any of the those solutions. The V1 start-up issue I describe is purely temperature related so delaying start-up wouldn't accomplish anything. Powering the camera for a minute or so warms up the circuitry and then unplugging and replugging it will then allow it to boot up. It's not that bug a deal as far as I am concerned and I don't mind dealing with it on the occasions when the temps drop that low.

I seem to get more than four days date and time charge out of my Mobius super-capacitors although I admit I haven't let them go more than two days at a time for quite awhile now. I'm not sure what to suggest but maybe just try to start your car up periodically when you can?

I don't have (hopefully) any temperature related problems, I should have mentioned this.

I'm worried about the 4 day limit before failure on the rear cameras that won't be connected to the Vico Power Plus. There will be occasions when the truck will sit for 4 to 5 days because I will not be here to start it.
The Vico Power Plus will handle the problem on the front cameras (but only handles 2 cameras), but the rear cameras will not be connected to a VPP so the no start time limit will possibly be a problem.

I might have just answered a fix for my problem, I'll have to think about this some more but I could just build one of those gadgets that Radius8 was talking about ( delay on/off circuit) and connect it to the rear cameras as a separate line.
I just hate the thought of building an electric gadget, I get confused with a wall switch!:confused:

i

I don't have (hopefully) any temperature related problems, I should have mentioned this.

I'm worried about the 4 day limit before failure on the rear cameras that won't be connected to the Vico Power Plus. There will be occasions when the truck will sit for 4 to 5 days because I will not be here to start it.
The Vico Power Plus will handle the problem on the front cameras (but only handles 2 cameras), but the rear cameras will not be connected to a VPP so the no start time limit will possibly be a problem.

I might have just answered a fix for my problem, I'll have to think about this some more but I could just build one of those gadgets that Radius8 was talking about ( delay on/off circuit) and connect it to the rear cameras as a separate line.
I just hate the thought of building an electric gadget, I get confused with a wall switch!:confused:

i

It's not a great solution, I know, but a simple and relatively easy (and perhaps for now temporary) thing you could do would be to hook your rear cameras up to a decent capacity power bank and then switch them off manually on those occasions when you expect your truck will sit for longer than 4 or 5 days. The camera's capacitors would continue to remained charged on the power bank literally for weeks and weeks on end but the cameras would be switched off and not recording until you get back to your truck and plug the cables back into your usual power supply.

"I'm worried about the 4 day limit before failure on the rear cameras that won't be connected to the Vico Power Plus. There will be occasions when the truck will sit for 4 to 5 days because I will not be here to start it.
If all you will do is lose your time and date setting why not turn them off instead?

Last edited:
With the right bits, you could 'cascade' power banks so that as one loses ability, the next one kicks in, then the next and so on until you run out of powerbanks. Transistor switching is so fast that the cams might not even 'see' the power drop during switching but that would need to be tested.

Phil

It's not a great solution, I know, but a simple and relatively easy (and perhaps for now temporary) thing you could do would be to hook your rear cameras up to a decent capacity power bank and then switch them off manually on those occasions when you expect your truck will sit for longer than 4 or 5 days. The camera's capacitors would continue to remained charged on the power bank literally for weeks and weeks on end but the cameras would be switched off and not recording until you get back to your truck and plug the cables back into your usual power supply.

That is another option, thanks. country_hick posted a link to one of those timer_relays that might also be used. I just have to think this thing through before I do anything.

That is another option, thanks. country_hick posted a link to one of those timer_relays that might also be used. I just have to think this thing through before I do anything.
In theory you could get 2 to 4 electronic time delay switches. Have one turn on after power has been off for 24 hours. Have the second start up then shut down after 1 minute to recharge the supercapacitors while sending a source voltage to the other timer. The other timer(s) would be reset for 24 hours to turn on the voltage for 1 minute and then shut down again. The process might work in an endless loop. I am not sure if the electronics would consume much battery life sitting idle or not or even if this is possible although I am fairly sure it is..

Have you tried playing with the "Power off shut down" setting and changing it to something like 2 seconds instead of immediate? Edit: should only use "immediate" when using capacitor in the Mobius 1 (thanks @Dashmellow)

Perhaps I misunderstand your problem but I wonder whether your problems are because of cranking causing enough of a drop in power to cause the Mobius to shut down. When power is reapplied in the middle of the shut down process, it won't automatically turn on again. If the Mobius can run for 2 seconds off capacitor power then hopefully that should fix it.

Also since you're on the overhead console power, does it make any difference if you unlock your car and wait a little longer before firing up the engine? Perhaps a couple more seconds is all the camera needs to "warm up" if that is the issue.

I've wired mine to the overhead console as well. So far I've only had interference with the DAB antenna which runs through the same area. Let me know if you have any other anomalies because of our choice of power feed.

Last edited:
Have you tried playing with the "Power off shut down" setting and changing it to something like 2 seconds instead of immediate? Sorry if you've already tried this.

Perhaps I misunderstand your problem but I wonder whether your problems are because of cranking causing enough of a drop in power to cause the Mobius to shut down. When power is reapplied in the middle of the shut down process, it won't automatically turn on again. If the Mobius can run for 2 seconds off capacitor power then hopefully that should fix it.

Also since you're on the overhead console power, does it make any difference if you unlock your car and wait a little longer before firing up the engine? Perhaps a couple more seconds is all the camera needs to "warm up" if that is the issue.

I've wired mine to the overhead console as well. So far I've only had interference with the DAB antenna which runs through the same area. Let me know if you have any other anomalies because of our choice of power feed.

I don't have the camera installed at this point. I'm trying to fix the problem with the camera before I install the camera. Think of it as preventive maintenance.

Have you tried playing with the "Power off shut down" setting and changing it to something like 2 seconds instead of immediate?

If a super-capacitor module is installed in the Mobius 1, the shutdown setting MUST be set to "immediate" for proper functionality. (Last clip will be lost.)

If a super-capacitor module is installed in the Mobius 1, the shutdown setting MUST be set to "immediate" for proper functionality. (Last clip will be lost.)

Oops. I've edited my post - thanks for the correction.

I might have unintentionally confused matters here: the Maxi seems to work better (for me, and @Harsh I think) with '2 seconds' than 'immediate' when using the capacitor. For the Mobius 1 you should use 'immediate' shutdown.

I might have unintentionally confused matters here: the Maxi seems to work better (for me, and @Harsh I think) with '2 seconds' than 'immediate' when using the capacitor. For the Mobius 1 you should use 'immediate' shutdown.

Yes, that was why I made a point of specifying the M1 in regard to "immediate".

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 4 years 8 months & 4 years 5 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 4 years 9 months & 4 years 6 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

I have been experiencing intermittent recording and randomly shutting down problem with both my Mobiuses. I bought and tried a new cable and a new lighter adapter in vain. I reformatted, tested my sd cards in vain. I have tried different power banks to no avail. Finally I'm ordering a new capacitor. If the problem is not the capacitor, I have seriously expended all the possibilities of locating and fixing the problem.

This is part of why I loathe all car companies. There still are no preparations or facilites for dashcam installment, neither a factory dashcam option. You have to go through a messy and time consuming and frustrating process as if you haven't paid enough money. I'll keep driving my junk forever.

Edit: Ok, I cannot find capacitor online. Known ebay sellers apparently dropped it. What equivalent capacitors are there? Is there a guide to put in a different capacitor? Is there even a thing such as a different capacitor?

Last edited:
eletoponline365 on Ebay is the official Mobius connection. If they don't list the caps, message them- they can get you practically any part you need for this cam. You can also source them (and various other parts too) from Banggood.

Phil

I tried finding some capacitors for my Mobius cameras earlier this month. eletoponline365 don't list the capacitors since they are difficult to post around the world. Apparently the postal companies don't like shipping them.

Fortunately I can purchase them from my local reseller in the UK. I'm not sure of the best reseller for Turkey - perhaps Banggood as SawMaster suggested.

I tried finding some capacitors for my Mobius cameras earlier this month. eletoponline365 don't list the capacitors since they are difficult to post around the world. Apparently the postal companies don't like shipping them.

Fortunately I can purchase them from my local reseller in the UK. I'm not sure of the best reseller for Turkey - perhaps Banggood as SawMaster suggested.

I've previously ordered super-capacitors from several vendors, both domestic and foreign on eBay without any problems. In fact, there are dozens, perhaps even hundreds of vendors on Ebay offering them. What is the alleged reason that capacitors are "difficult to post around the world"? Reviewing the USPS shipping restrictions for example, there are extensive regulations on shipping lithium batteries but no mention of super-capacitors or any other electronic components. (I suppose there could be something buried deeper in the regulations but so far I haven't been able to unearth anything.) It also seems neither China or Hong Kong list any postal restrictions on capacitors or other electronics components either.

Edit: I did find THIS document from Honeywell that states: "Capacitors not exceeding 0.3Wh are not subject to DGR" (Dangerous Goods Regulations) Capacitors with greater capacity are subject to special packing instructions.

Last edited:
Back