Mobius Super Capacitor.

A charged capacitor will keep the date & time for approximately 7-10 days.

Both of mine seem to last more like up to 7 days, with 5 being a safe bet. The vehicle regularly sits undriven for 7 days +, so I have to keep connecting the Mobii to a PC to update the date/ time before I drive it. (Very annoying!)

After asking the original question in this thread exactly six years to the day, and installing a super capacitor not long after, both the camera and capacitor have not missed a beat.

Both of mine seem to last more like up to 7 days, with 5 being a safe bet. The vehicle regularly sits undriven for 7 days +, so I have to keep connecting the Mobii to a PC to update the date/ time before I drive it. (Very annoying!)

I guess you can't have it both ways with a super-cap in a Mobius. Unlike other dash cameras there is no RTC battery in a Mobius. I suppose you could install bigger caps mounted outside the camera case. I experimented with that idea about 5 years ago on a different camera.

I guess you can't have it both ways with a super-cap in a Mobius. Unlike other dash cameras there is no RTC battery in a Mobius. I suppose you could install bigger caps mounted outside the camera case. I experimented with that idea about 5 years ago on a different camera.

Yes, it's something I have to live with or pay to replace them with a more suitable camera. It would be too bulky to add extra capacitors, unless they were on extended wires.

I just checked the Mobius in the wife's car (driven at least every three days normally) and it has kept the date / time for the last couple of months. It has lost it in the past somehow. The card is also one of the prone to fail Sandisk Ultras and only 16Gb so it gets rewritten over a bit. That's at least 4yrs old, plus the car's always outside in the sun. To get an idea of the heat it operates in I nearly burnt my fingers on the metal bracket I've attached the Mobius to and it's only 20C today!

Yes, it's something I have to live with or pay to replace them with a more suitable camera. It would be too bulky to add extra capacitors, unless they were on extended wires.
larger capacitors solves one problem and introduces another, getting them up to voltage at startup becomes a problem

Not even a dead memory card? Does the car sit not driven for any extended periods?
Has been the daily driver for the last 10 years, I have replaced the memory card once.

larger capacitors solves one problem and introduces another, getting them up to voltage at startup becomes a problem

Going by the charging LED (flashes green while charging) the standard supercap only takes around 10 seconds to charge.

yeah that's the standard ones, go to something larger and it takes longer, the firmware would need modding to support it, even then there's still a limit to cap sizes before you start to have other issues

Having said that, I do have an A119V2 (wife's car driven regularly) and it seems to have a failing RTC rechargeable battery. It started working again over Winter but lost the date a month ago and reset to 01/01/2018. Stupid bl**dy dashcams!

Viofo didn't even respond in their section of the forum when I raised the problem and was asking what sort of battery they use. A case of you get what you pay for? :LOL:

I had one of their CPL filters too and it went bright orange. :unsure:

Is there anything different about the original Mobius1 V1 (round LED light) that makes it not 100% compatible with a capacitor?

Mine keeps losing its date&time even though I always drive the car at least every 3 days.

Is there anything different about the original Mobius1 V1 (round LED light) that makes it not 100% compatible with a capacitor?

Mine keeps losing its date&time even though I always drive the car at least every 3 days.

Failing super-cap? It's possible the freshly charged caps have enough juice to save the last file but still lose charge after only a few days. Try swapping in a different super-cap module and see if anything changes.

Failing super-cap? It's possible the freshly charged caps have enough juice to save the last file but still lose charge after only a few days. Try swapping in a different super-cap module and see if anything changes.
Thanks. I'll see if I have any spare capacitors.

I also need one for my front Mobius, as it's currently on a battery.

All of mine (3 of them) are the early model. From my experiences you should safely get over 5 days.

All of mine (3 of them) are the early model. From my experiences you should safely get over 5 days.
Thanks for that. Sounds like a new capacitor is what I need.

Hello friends! I gave up counting months cause my Mobius B lens is working as it should be. Me happy!
Until last Thursday, I was only checking in my car's inside rearview mirror if the red led is blinking when driving. On Friday, I had to check if there are any files recorded since I got hit in the rear car's bumper. I did not have high expectations since the accident happened in adverse traffic conditions: heavy rain and darkness. Guess what, what I wrote more than 2 years ago its still valid, the Mobius B Lens recorded the moment of the accident, being able to cleary see the other car's plate number.
So, thumbs up for my Mobius B Lens with Supercapacitor.
P.S. My car's rear bumper has only a small break and will be replaced using the other driver's insurance policy.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 5 years 10 months & 5 years 7 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 5 years 11 months & 5 years 8 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Back