Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

I like tinkering with electronics and still use my three Mobius. All three have survived all of the previous mentioned "running repairs". But not all people have the knowledge/ skills/ time to pull a Mobius apart, fit a super cap, hard wire it to a vehicle and then work out why it may not be recording automatically due to that specific vehicle's electrical system.

Anyone can fit supercaps to Mobius, all you need is a small #0 Phillips screwdriver to open the case. The battery or caps are a simple plug-in on the PCB. My 9 year old nephew could do it without guidance or assistance and he's not mechanically inclined. And it's not Mobius fault that you weren't giving it a good power source- it takes the same 5V mini-USB input that most cams do- so you should know better than to blame the cam when the power source is the problem. Mobius doesn't come with a PS though some sellers will offer a package deal including one; if the offered PS isn't up to snuff the blame the seller. Mine was still recording when I left the lights on and ran the battery down to where the starter solenoid wouldn't click- that's about 10V or less in my decades of experience with vehicles like mine. I use an Anker dual-port PS and like Mobius it never gives trouble. Mobius has over-voltage protection to save the cam should the PS lose regulation where most cams would just turn into a smoking brick of toasted electronics if that happened. Use at least a 1.5A PS of decent quality along with good USB cables and you shouldn't have a problem; that is the same for all the USB-powered cams and not just Mobius. Fail that and most cams will give erratic operation if they will work at all.

As to the melted case, mine has been through several days in a closed van where that air temp was 38C or a little more (over 100F) outside and it was noticeably hotter inside. There are people here who've posted pics of other cams which warped in heat like that but my Mobius didn't. And even then, if your case gets damaged with almost every other cam you're screwed because parts aren't available, but with Mobius a new case is available cheap and fairly easy to swap out using only that #0 Phillips screwdriver I mentioned earlier. With the heat in Adelaide's summers many cams would be turned into globs of non-functioning plastic with the electronic components unable to withstand it and dying along with the case. A Mobius equipped with supercaps is well known as the most heat-resistant cams on the market. The only problem I ever had with mine is when the original battery swelled it's first summer yet even then the cam kept working until my supercaps arrived.

I can't see why you attribute problems to the cam when it's obviously not the cam's fault. And I can't see why you don't understand that your summers are generally hotter than most, same as mine (in fact almost exactly the same as far as temps), reaching heat levels which would be beyond many aftermarket electronics ability to withstand. I've had GPS units, Ham radios, CB radios, other dashcams, and several other electronic gadgets fail to function in the summer heat here until they were cooled down and I've watched many plastics turn to goo in our summer sun, yet my Mobius keeps going even when touching the heat sink almost instantly burns my heavily calloused fingers.

Murcod, your experiences are so far from the norm that I wonder what's going on that makes it so. Either you're doing something wrong or your luck is worse than mine, and mine is pretty darn bad.

Phil

OMG deep breaths Phil!

Once again I was only saying a dedicated dash cam would be better IMHO for that particular person. The OP did ask for opinions and that is mine. There's no need for everyone to get so defensive.

The issues with the Mobius not auto recording has been highlighted in plenty of threads. It's not caused by the USB power source, it is due to power fluctuations in vehicles when the engine is being cranked (causing the USB power to shutdown.) The Mobius doesn't like the voltage dropping out at certain points when it is booting, resulting in it failing to auto record. Some cars have problems, others don't. There are workarounds with delay circuits or sometimes simply sourcing 12V power from another source.

I'll say once again, I'm still using three Mobius and none have terminally broken. They're great for some vehicles/ users, but you also need to realise other dash cams have progressed a lot since the original Mobius was built and it is primarily built as an action cam. I'm not the only person on here who has suffered a melted case- I seem to have been lucky in that the electronics in mine survived. Mine are not left running in parking mode and all have capacitors (including the one that melted.)

I've heard of other cameras melting when left running in parking mode, but I can only comment on my own experiences.

I'm also curious as to what experiences have been "so far from the norm"? Bearing in mind that I've been running 3 Mobius in two different vehicles for 3+ years.

One question guys, do you know if can I use the Mobius USB cable (micro USB plug to mini USB plug) to connect my Mobius Version 1 with the my Smartphone to get a live view image with the Mobius App?

I mean this cable:

mini-usb-micro-usb-otg-kabel.jpg

I wonder that nobody can answer my question. I want to use this cable to connect the built in Mobius with my Smartphone and refocus the camera with the live view function.

Does nobody ever tried to connect a Smartphone with the Mobius 1?

Why did my Mobius stopped recording in the middle of the month? Here's my backstory:

My Mobius is:
- Hardwired to the car, at the cigarette lighter fuse.
- Has a 128 GB micro SDXC memory card, formatted to exFAT32.
- Formatted to delete all video files. This is to make sure the dashcam is 100% working and recording.
- Set to have loop recording and record a new video every 5 minutes.
- Has a super capacitor installed in it.
- Turned off after I set my car keys to off, and turned on when I set my car keys to ACC position.
- Recording footage from the beginning of January to the end of February. I drive every day. There were no videos recorded after the first week of February. There were still plenty of free memory left on the micro SDXC memory card.

After I checked the videos in my dashcam, I was upset that I didn't get footage after the first week of February. I see the LED recording indicator blink when it is recording. What happened?

How can I make sure my dashcam is recording so I can have it record footages with 100% reliability?

Last edited:
is it formatted exFAT or FAT32?

was it formatted in the camera?
Sorry I meant exFAT.

Yes, it was formatted in the camera. My dashcam has footages for the whole month of January, but no footages after the first week of February.

format the card FAT32 if you want it to cycle reliably

what card is it and how old/how much use has it had?
Will it record if I format the card to FAT32? It is a 128 GB micro SDXC memory card.

I bought the memory card in July 2016 at Newegg. I use the memory card exclusively for the dashcam. I never used the card for anything else.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820301311

When I checked the contents inside the memory card, it still had around 30 GB of free space.

Mobius doesn't seem to work well when loop recording unless it's formatted FAT32 although EXFAT seems to work OK without looping. The best cards for Mobius are Transcend, Kingston, PNY, or Lexar in their premium class 10 grades. Some have had success with other cards but not all. SD cards are one of the 2 main problems with all cams so much better to use the known good ones and avoid the rest.

Phil

My question was more like "does this work?", but my english isn't the best. I found out that it works with the Mobius 1, I always thougt this OTG cable and the App was made for the Mobius V2, but I was wrong.

Yes, it works on both my M1 & Mini. Only issue with this app might be on the PHONE (some phones do have problems because of OTG, not because of the app itself).
But you can try before buying it, I think for 1 hr.

I'm back again, and after checking the videos in the micro SDXC memory card, it only recorded 2 days worth of videos! I formated my micro SDXC memory card to FAT32 using an external program.

How do I format my micro SDXC memory card using the micro SDXC memory card using the GUI interface? Or rather, what is the best program for formatting? I want to try another program.

format the card back to default exFAT settings in your PC, then use the built in formatter in the tools section of the Mobius GUI software to correctly format it FAT32 to suit the camera and see how you go, if you still have issues try with a better brand of memory card

Back