Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

I am considering buying a Mobius 1 action cam for use as a dash cam. I have had a chat with SpyTec rep and he told me that since I plan to use the camera strictly as a dash cam, I could install a super capacitor. But when I downloaded the manual and looked at the photo of the camera open, I noticed that the battery is only 1 cylinder and the capacitor is two cylinders. So the question is - can the Mobius Super Capacitor be used in the Mobius 1 as well as the Mobius 2?

I am considering buying a Mobius 1 action cam for use as a dash cam. I have had a chat with SpyTec rep and he told me that since I plan to use the camera strictly as a dash cam, I could install a super capacitor. But when I downloaded the manual and looked at the photo of the camera open, I noticed that the battery is only 1 cylinder and the capacitor is two cylinders. So the question is - can the Mobius Super Capacitor be used in the Mobius 1 as well as the Mobius 2?

Yes.

Wait, there's a new Mobius?!

There's 2 actually. "Mobius Mini" which is suitable only for action-cam use and the "Mobius 2"being discussed here which had much promise but now seems to have lost direction and momentum :oops:

Phil

Wait, there's a new Mobius?!
I was asking about the Mobius 1 for exclusive use as dash cam. Mobius 2 is a newer model, but after seeing the video reviews by techmoan.com, I decided to use the original model which he rated very highly.

Yes it is designed for it
sorry to be skeptical, but how would it fit? It appears to be twice as large as the battery it is replacing.
We are talking about the Mobius 1 here, not the newer Mobius 2
mobius.jpg

sorry to be skeptical, but how would it fit? It appears to be twice as large as the battery it is replacing.
mobius.jpg

View attachment 30212

It's quite small actually. In fact, the super-capacitor module for the Mobius (1 & 2) is substantially smaller than the battery.

supercap.jpg

cap.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I am getting really confused here - the above photos appear to be the interior of the Mobius 2 (which has a double cylinder battery and projecting lens) and does not look at all similar to photo in the manual for an open Mobius 1

Are we SURE that the double barrel super capicitor shown in the above photo would fit into the interior of the Mobius 1 shown here?
Or maybe I just have my terms confused? I am talking about the older version, the one with the large exterior heat links, buttons on the TOP and non-projecting lens? The original Mobius Action Cam? Don't mean to challenge anyone, but I want to be sure before I order these things and find out it is incorrect.
With these 2 photos, maybe you can see where my confusion lies. The inside photos look different, especially the batteries.
pic 4.jpg

Last edited:
Battery/ Supercapacitor sit's on top of PCB. As @jokiin and @Dashmellow says, "it'll fit. Super capacitor as originally meant for the original Mobius".

Battery/ Supercapacitor sit's on top of PCB. As @jokiin and @Dashmellow says, "it'll fit. Super capacitor as originally meant for the original Mobius".
Thank you so much - just did not want to order all these things and find out later, something did not fit - ever so grateful
PS - what is PCB?

OK, I am getting really confused here - the above photos appear to be the interior of the Mobius 2 (which has a double cylinder battery and projecting lens) and does not look at all similar to photo in the manual for an open Mobius 1

Are we SURE that the double barrel super capicitor shown in the above photo would fit into the interior of the Mobius 1 shown here?
Or maybe I just have my terms confused? I am talking about the older version, the one with the large exterior heat links, buttons on the TOP and non-projecting lens? The original Mobius Action Cam? Don't mean to challenge anyone, but I want to be sure before I order these things and find out it is incorrect.
With these 2 photos, maybe you can see where my confusion lies. The inside photos look different, especially the batteries.
View attachment 30218

The super-capacitor AND the battery fit BOTH the Mobius 1 and the Mobius 2, so you can't go wrong either way.

Perhaps your confusion is over the appearance of the battery vs the super-capacitor?

This is what the battery looks like vs the super-capacitor pictured above.

battery.jpg

Easiest swap ever. Just undo the 4 case screws, unplug one power source, plug in the other, then screw the case back together. You will need to change some settings in msetup so that the last files save properly, and then you can use Mobius again. Ten minutes total unless you lose a screw- they're wee little beasites and very good at hiding :rolleyes:

Phil

Easiest swap ever. Just undo the 4 case screws, unplug one power source, plug in the other, then screw the case back together. You will need to change some settings in msetup so that the last files save properly, and then you can use Mobius again. Ten minutes total unless you lose a screw- they're wee little beasites and very good at hiding :rolleyes:

Phil

2 screws. Where's your coffee. :)

Last edited:
Well you're right- it is 2 screws, but mine was done so long ago (plus one for being reliable) I hardly remember it :p

Phil

It's been a intense day at work. Installed an antique mantel today among other things, probably 2-3 weeks wages gone if I screwed it up (and the job would have been gone too) :eek: Such is the life of a restoration carpenter sometimes. Nothing like it when you get it right though :cool:

Phil

Thank you so much - just did not want to order all these things and find out later, something did not fit - ever so grateful
PS - what is PCB?

PCB - Printed Circuit Board. The blue board in above picture where everything it attached to.

Back