Mobius Telephoto Dashcam

Thanks, 3M sells it on Amazon but they were talking about so many different kinds, I thought it better to ask before getting it.

I've been using Dual Lock and I've tried both 5lb and 10lb. The 5lb is way too weak and even a light camera will fall off. The 10lb is great. It also doesn't take much force to put the pieces together, and is pretty easy to separate. I'm a big fan of the 10lb Dual Lock. Lowes sells it and I'm guessing every hardware store does

Hi guys,

This all sounds very interesting...I've been having a quick read through the thread and correct me if I'am wrong does the 4mm and 6mm lenses give the best results v's the 8mm having a bit too much zoom.
Also the F1.2 and F1.4 being more difficult to focus due to the depth of field with the faster lens is there a prefered lens you guys could recommend.

I quite like the idea of a dual front camera set-up with a fast telephoto lens to capture closer in detail with the Mobius being able to run with a higher shutter speed.

Hi guys,

This all sounds very interesting...I've been having a quick read through the thread and correct me if I'am wrong does the 4mm and 6mm lenses give the best results v's the 8mm having a bit too much zoom.
Also the F1.2 and F1.4 being more difficult to focus due to the depth of field with the faster lens is there a prefered lens you guys could recommend.

I quite like the idea of a dual front camera set-up with a fast telephoto lens to capture closer in detail with the Mobius being able to run with a higher shutter speed.

I think the choice of focal length is ultimately a matter of needs and preferences. Some like @Harsh are finding that the 8mm seems to suit his needs better where I'm finding the 6mm to be optimal for my typical driving environment.

For now I'm running both the 8 and 12mm.

Waiting on the bridge plate so I can get them back on the same plane. Plan on doing a 3-way side by side with my wide angle cameras.

For now I'm running both the 8 and 12mm.

Waiting on the bridge plate so I can get them back on the same plane. Plan on doing a 3-way side by side with my wide angle cameras.

Why is it necessary to have the cameras on the same plane or am I missing something?

Why is it necessary to have the cameras on the same plane or am I missing something?

Due to how they're currently mounted and their narrow FOV, centre of the picture is not on the same plane. Won't work for a 3-way if one wants to crop a bit from both the top and bottom.

Hey @Lola, I believe I've found the 12mm ƒ/1.2 lens you've been looking for! A rare beast indeed!

It's designed for a 1/3" sensor so it's a perfect match for the 1/3" AR0330 sensor in the Mobius. You'd get a true 12mm focal length FOV.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-3-F1-2-CCTV-Fixed-Iris-IR-Infrared-12mm-lens-M12-Mount-Lens-For-Security/32767100549.html

Of course, you'd need to find out if the vendor is willing and able to provide this lens with an IR-cut filter.

And it's on sale at 20% off for the next 17 days. :happy:

12mm_a.png12mm_b.png
12mm_c.jpg

Last edited:
Hey @Lola, I believe I've found the 12mm ƒ/1.2 lens you've been looking for! A rare beast indeed!

It's designed for a 1/3" sensor so it's a perfect match for the 1/3" AR0330 sensor in the Mobius. You'd get a true 12mm focal length FOV.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-3-F1-2-CCTV-Fixed-Iris-IR-Infrared-12mm-lens-M12-Mount-Lens-For-Security/32767100549.html

Of course, you'd need to find out if the vendor is willing and able to provide this lens with an IR-cut filter.

And it's on sale at 20% off for the next 17 days. :happy:

View attachment 35744View attachment 35745
View attachment 35746
CW (Chuan Wei) has a reputation of being somewhat "off balance"in the things they sell, meaning stay away. I saw this lens before and didn't consider it because of that. A lot of people must know something because they have only sold 1 I believe.

I went there and it said they have had 4 transactions, my mistake, but not exactly a hot seller. One thing I can say for it, it's one weird looking contraption. Take a hard look at it and see if you can figure out where they put the lenses in it and how many, LOL.

Last edited:
CW (Chuan Wei) has a reputation of being somewhat "off balance"in the things they sell, meaning stay away. I saw this lens before and didn't consider it because of that. A lot of people must know something because they have only sold 1 I believe.

I went there and it said they have had 4 transactions, my mistake, but not exactly a hot seller. One thing I can say for it, it's one weird looking contraption. Take a hard look at it and see if you can figure out where they put the lenses in it and how many, LOL.

Well, it certainly looks like I jumped the shark with that 12mm lens recommendation but I'm curious to know how you've concluded that Chuan Wei (Chinajoy1st CWLENS Wholesaler ) has an "off balance" reputation and that buyers should stay away? Have I missed something? They've apparently been in business almost eight years now and have an overall reputation of 4.8 out of 5. They sell a huge variety of lenses and other related items and seem to stock many interesting hard-to-find items. As for the 12mm ƒ/1.2 lens having sold only 4 pieces, I noticed the 6mm ƒ/1.2 from Treeye has sold only 11 pieces and several of those buyers are apparently us guys in this thread. In the scheme of things I think these esoteric ultra fast telephoto CCTV lenses are in general not huge selling items compared to the other M12 lenses from both sellers that sell in greater quantities.

What are these megapixel ratings based on? Who does the testing?

You bring up a very good question. The term "Megapixel lens" is basically meaningless marketing hype but we are all stuck with it.

The real term we should be using when it comes to evaluating lens optics is essentially "resolving power". LP/MM or "Line pairs per millimeter" is the generally accepted quantitative measure for the resolution of a lens but that doesn't necessarily translate to CMOS sensors quite the way it does with film because there is a relationship with the size of the pixels in each sensor. With the way modern CMOS sensors function, it gets a bit more complicated than that as it involves the concept of MTF (Modulation Transfer Function) which is an important criteria for evaluating lens performance but one that can be variable. There is literally no standardization for this in the world of lenses we are concerned with here. Much of the confusion comes from the fact that with MTF there are multiple kinds of MTF and it is a complicated concept.

So, I have no clue who does "the testing", if anyone. (I'm speaking of the people who are marketing and selling lenses.) I'm sure such testing is indeed done in manufacture, but as far as I am aware lenses are not designated in any quantitative measurement of "Megapixels" by lens producers when they sell them to OEM suppliers because there is no such thing as a "Megapixel lens". So, some lenses are better corrected for optical flaws than others and some are sharper with more resolving power than others but there is no agreed upon objective methodology for comparing lenses unless you test each lens individually side by side. And so any designation of the number of "Megapixels" of a given lens by a manufacturer is somewhat arbitrary to the point that a 3MP lens from one manufacturer may not match a 3MP lens from another. At least that's my current understanding.

There used to be an excellent online sort of PowerPoint video presentation that explains all this in great detail but I can't seem to find it at the moment, assuming it even still exists.

For now, I would recommend perusing the following White Papers published by Schneider Kreuznach Optics, one of the world's premier lens manufacturers to gain a better understanding.

The Seductive Siren Call Of The “Megapixel Lens” (And Why You Shouldn’t Listen to It)

Do You Know What You Are Really Buying? - A clarion call for lens-tolerance standards (and better understanding those already in place)

Last edited:
OK! I found the presentation I was looking for that I referred to above.

The following is quoted from the web site where you will find the presentation.

Debunking the Megapixel Lens Myth!

"Who makes the best lens for your application?"

"Don’t be fooled by marketing categories! There is NO SUCH THING AS A MEGAPIXEL LENS!"

"Watch this 20 minute presentation to understand"

Last edited:
I just found this on Amazon... A set of 3 lenses for M12 6mm 8mm 12mm https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01MDTOU9C

The seller of those lenses seems to offer virtually no useful information about what you are actually buying. They state that the AOV is "around 38-60 degrees". That's quite a remarkable way for a vendor to describe three different bundled lenses in my book! There is no indication as to the apertures of any of the three lenses. The sales page states that "All of them are 1080P" which is a rather ambiguous description. There is no indication as to whether the lens barrels and bezels are made of plastic or metal or whether the lens elements themselves are glass or plastic, coated or uncoated.

The quality of the M12 board lenses we generally see on offer varies so widely that it is important to purchase from a supplier who provides a comprehensive list of specifications. I think if we are buying specialized lenses to enhance our cameras we need to know as much as possible about what we are actually buying. Members who are not familiar with some of the requirements, terms and important criteria involved in a lens buying decision would benefit from taking the time to learn more about optics before purchase. I buy all kinds of items from Amazon all the time but for this sort of specialty item I tend to look to other sources.

Last edited:
The seller of those lenses seems to offer virtually no useful information about what you are actually buying. They state that the AOV is "around 38-60 degrees". That's quite a remarkable way for a vendor to describe three different bundled lenses in my book! There is no indication as to the apertures of any of the three lenses. The sales page states that "All of them are 1080P" which is a rather ambiguous description. There is no indication as to whether the lens barrels and bezels are made of plastic or metal or whether the lens elements themselves are glass or plastic, coated or uncoated.

The quality of the M12 board lenses we generally see on offer varies so widely that it is important to purchase from a supplier who provides a comprehensive list of specifications. I think if we are buying specialized lenses to enhance our cameras we need to know as much as possible about what we are actually buying. Members who are not familiar with some of the requirements, terms and important criteria involved in a lens buying decision would benefit from taking the time to learn more about optics before purchase. I buy all kinds of items from Amazon all the time but for this sort of specialty item I tend to look to other sources.

F stop is focal length divided by diameter so judging from the pictures the 8mm and 12mm would be about f1.2

The question is how sharp these actually are, which you can only discover by trying them. I ordered the kit so I'll report back on whether they suck

Back