Mobius Telephoto Dashcam

Dashmallow, you have no knowledge of what the manufacturers knew before sending me any cameras. They were in full possession of the fact I broke my Smartphone before carrying out the review and in advance of sending me the camera, which makes your allegations libel. The camera did receive a full video review minus the smartphone control as they expected, and to their satisfaction. Which makes your allegations that I scammed them in obtaining it and didn't review it, untrue and doubly libellous. Admin has seen the emails confirming this.

The 2nd camera I received, received a review to their satisfaction, hence why they sent me a 3rd model to review, having been satisfied with the 2 previous reviews. The 3rd model of camera, unbeknown to me, didn't have a suction mount contrary to every previous model which had, so I declined to review it in car and instead offered to return it at my expense to the manufacturer concerned. Again Admin has seen these emails. So every allegation you have made against me is both untrue and libellous.

I would advise against you continuing to libel me.

I'll ignore the rest of your post for the sake of the thread.

Day eight of this nonsense from you!!

c4rc4m, I don't buy a word you're saying. As we've seen at other times, you concoct stuff or move the goalposts to suit your narrative.

I find your hysterics about being libeled absolutely laughable, but certainly right on queue, just as I predicted three days ago when I said that, “if history is any indication you will start complaining that you are a victim by the time this whole thing is over”.

This conversation between you 2 is getting very old.
This is beginning to sound like a contest that involves dropping your drawers and using a tape measure.
This kind of conversation is a waste of space and not what this site is for.
Dropping this conversation now is what fully grown men would do if they were mature enough.

I got one of those varifocal lenses and set it up in a D-Link home security camera. It's surprisingly sharp https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01HH4MZCM

That's about twice what you would pay for the same 3MP 2.8-12mm ƒ/1.4 varifocal lens on AliExpress or Banggood but even at $13.00 it's still worth the money. The 5MP 6-22mm ƒ/1.6 version is even better and is in the same price range.

This conversation between you 2 is getting very old.
This is beginning to sound like a contest that involves dropping your drawers and using a tape measure.
This kind of conversation is a waste of space and not what this site is for.
Dropping this conversation now is what fully grown men would do if they were mature enough.

Mine's bigger. I'll post a pic. :smuggrin:

Don't worry though, it's definitely over. :dead:

Yes, got them from etoponline.

Thanks, that's what I thought!

Mobius should offer a lens-less module mount as one of their standard replacement parts. I've thought that for a long time now. These FRP mounts perform nicely in extreme temperatures as least as well as metal but I'm finding that the grub screw threads in FRP mounts on the Mobius Maxi can strip fairly easily if one is not careful. In other words, if you accidentally twist the lens for some reason or tighten the grub screw a little too much, you can strip the threads more easily than with a metal module. Not that that can't happen with the older cast aluminum type.

Thanks, that's what I thought!

Mobius should offer a lens-less module mount as one of their standard replacement parts. I've thought that for a long time now. These FRP mounts perform nicely in extreme temperatures as least as well as metal but I'm finding that the grub screw threads in FRP mounts on the Mobius Maxi can strip fairly easily if one is not careful. In other words, if you accidentally twist the lens for some reason or tighten the grub screw a little too much, you can strip the threads more easily than with a metal module. Not that that can't happen with the older cast aluminum type.

The tightening screw threads on both my A2 and C2 are stripped, I think locking rings are a better option.

Last edited:
I don't know if it would work here, but sometimes you can find a different screw which will 'bite' the remaining plastic (FRP) well enough to hold. Look for different thread pitches in the same size first; this seems to work best. Look for SAE or Metric screws that are slightly larger next (again with various thread pitches} next. And don't overlook wood screws which vary wildly in diameter as there's no precision standards set for these. Do be very careful here or you may split the plastic! Such a screw could be cut to protrude just enough to be turned with pliers, as cutting a slot in something this small would be more than most of us could easily do.

If someone happens to have access to a metric thread pitch gauge and can measure that, or who knows that spec already, we might be able to find a source for thin nuts (perhaps meant for panel switch mounting etc) more cheaply than those made and sold for lens rings. Anything "specialty" always costs more but often a substitute can function equally well. Just thinking aloud here ;)

Phil

The locking rings or a small dab of something like Visbella Light glue would be better, the thin walls on plastic mounts are just not strong enough foe a viable solution.

I don't know if it would work here, but sometimes you can find a different screw which will 'bite' the remaining plastic (FRP) well enough to hold. Look for different thread pitches in the same size first; this seems to work best. Look for SAE or Metric screws that are slightly larger next (again with various thread pitches} next. And don't overlook wood screws which vary wildly in diameter as there's no precision standards set for these. Do be very careful here or you may split the plastic! Such a screw could be cut to protrude just enough to be turned with pliers, as cutting a slot in something this small would be more than most of us could easily do.

If someone happens to have access to a metric thread pitch gauge and can measure that, or who knows that spec already, we might be able to find a source for thin nuts (perhaps meant for panel switch mounting etc) more cheaply than those made and sold for lens rings. Anything "specialty" always costs more but often a substitute can function equally well. Just thinking aloud here ;)

Phil

Any decent hardware store should carry a selection of grub screws or you can find them online. The challenge is to find some that are as small as the ones that come on the Mobius lens modules and that isn't easy and even if you do it might require that you purchase a large quantity of them. So far I can't find that size but I was able to find some that were small enough to work and bought a drill bit that was very slightly narrower than the thread width of the grubs screws. So, I re-drilled the hole in the side of a Mobius lens module and self tapped the new grub screw into it. This basically worked well except that the grub screw protruded a little too far to properly seat the lens module in the camera's housing. This required some careful shortening of the grub screw on a 1 inch belt sander holding the screw carefully in a pair of lineman's pliers.

grubscrews.jpg

Last edited:
Finally!

12maxi.png

Tightening screw on the spare mount didn't work, lens could still be rotated after tightening it all the way. Removed a bit of plastic from the rim and used a locking ring.

Finally!

Tightening screw on the spare mount didn't work, lens could still be rotated after tightening it all the way. Removed a bit of plastic from the rim and used a locking ring.
Look forward to seeing results from your Maxi telephoto. I have a 5MP 6-22mm varifocal installed in one of my Maxi which is doing rather well.

Back