More problems: Options?

Baconfan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bought the device new from Amazon in December. 2.001 firmware was horrible so reverted back to 1.009. Saw that 2.002 firmware was out so I upgraded yesterday. Firmware install said successful via my phone. Camera rebooted and now just flashes the WiFi light. Unable to see it via Wifi on the phone. Camera no longer has audio prompts either. I've tried power cycling the camera several times and I'm still unable to see it via Wifi. Completely frustrated with the thing at this point.

Anyone know what my options are at this point before I remove it and take it to the range for target practice with IT being the target?

Thx - LB

I also noticed with firmware 1.009 the videos were choppy and appeared to freeze for 3-5 seconds during playback making the videos pretty much useless.

Backup your files if necessary first. Format the card in the camera (hold WiFi button down until it beeps at you). Power down, remove the SD card, and then use a USB adapter to plug into your computer.

To downgrade you need to change the version # in the "version.bin" file in your 1.009 firmware directory. It's located in the \Blackvue\config folder. Open it in a text editor (notepad works) and change the number from 1.009 to 2.002. Then copy the entire Blackvue file as instructed in normal firmware upgrade instructions to your newly formatted SD card, install in the Blackvue and power up. The system should perform an "upgrade" (i.e. downgrade) using the 1.009 firmware.

I've done this with other versions but not 2.002, should work the same though.

I'll give it a try tomorrow. I tried recycling the power and holding down the button and nothing worked. I did the upgrade and it has a 128 gb card in it. The camera gave no audio prompts after the upgrade which leads me to think the firmware upgrade toasted the camera. $400 of pure frustration and I'm a guy who has worked in technology for 20 years.

I also noticed with firmware 1.009 the videos were choppy and appeared to freeze for 3-5 seconds during playback making the videos pretty much useless.

Hello, may we please check if you're using the BlackVue sd card? Also, are you playing the video files individually or through the BlackVue player?

When I format it takes a while when holding down the WiFi button, as long as 10 - 15 seconds before hearing some beeps. Mine toasted my 128gb card and I had to replace it but fortunately it was under warranty, I am reluctant to use it again lest I lose important recordings so I have a 64gb in there now.

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card

I did copy the videos to my laptop and opened them in the Blackvue app on my computer and they were still choppy videos.

I have some other fast 64gb cards I've used with my GoPro. IF I can get the camera to somehow come back to life tomorrow, and back on the 1.009 firmware I'll give the 64gb card a try.

This is the most expensive camera on the market and to have so many issues, especially with the 2.001 and 2.002 firmware, after only 3 months of ownership, is extremely frustrating.

I'll report back after I waste even more time tomorrow trying to get this silly thing to work properly.

This is my 4th Blackvue (400, 380, 500, and now 650), I've been pretty unhappy with the video quality from my 650. It's OK but not nearly as good as my DR500 or even my DR380 which I was using for a rearward facing camera. I'm hoping they come out with a new 2ch model in the near future so I can ditch this one.

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card

I did copy the videos to my laptop and opened them in the Blackvue app on my computer and they were still choppy videos.

I have some other fast 64gb cards I've used with my GoPro. IF I can get the camera to somehow come back to life tomorrow, and back on the 1.009 firmware I'll give the 64gb card a try.

This is the most expensive camera on the market and to have so many issues, especially with the 2.001 and 2.002 firmware, after only 3 months of ownership, is extremely frustrating.

I'll report back after I waste even more time tomorrow trying to get this silly thing to work properly.

Sorry to inform you but it sounds like a lot of the issues you're having are due to using 3rd party cards. If you refer to some of our previous posts; we have tested hundreds of 3rd party cards over the years. So please re-try with the original sd card and the choppy effect on the video should cease.

So basically I'll be removing the Blackvue and finding a more reliable replacement this weekend. I really wanted this to work but there is so much frustration with this thing. Poor documentation, it doesn't works as the documentation says, some cards work/some don't (all formatted FAT32).

I tried again today to upgrade from firmware 1.009 to 2.002 over Wifi. After my phone said the update was implemented the camera reboots and all lights flash (Wifi, REC, PWR) constantly with no audio prompts. See photos and video below. After another reboot I connect via wifi and it's still at firmware 1.009.

I decided to try the SD card Blackvue flat file firmware upgrade method.

I pulled all the SD cards and formatted them FAT32.
Downloaded the 2.002 firmware (camera is stuck at 1.009 currently) and copied the Blackvue folder to the root of the Blackvue SD card.
I boot the camera up with the Blackvue SD card that came with the camera inserted and it still flashes all three lights at the same time (Wifi, REC, PWR) with no audio prompts.

I tried the same process above with three other SD cards and get the same results.

I am beyond upset with this $400 paperweight at this point.

I got it 3 months ago and it doesn't have a QR code on it so getting it to work as advertised, or using the cloud functions, isn't possible it seems.

Any idea what else to do other than take a sledge hammer to it?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455312235.672181.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455312755.020808.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1455312763.104585.jpg

Just realized I've only owned it two months and it was supposed to come with a 64GB card but instead came with a 16GB card.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455313218.998832.jpg

What a waste of time and money.

I purchased it via Amazon Prime. The selling company was "Javafly" according to my Amazon order. The return window expired January 31, 2016. Basically $400 gone forever.

LB

Thanks I'm gonna email my serial number/purchase information to Pittasoft and see if there is anything that can be done. I'm 99.9% certain the device is defective and needs to be replaced. Now to see if Pittasoft will actually work with me to get it replaced.

LB

Thanks I'm gonna email my serial number/purchase information to Pittasoft and see if there is anything that can be done. I'm 99.9% certain the device is defective and needs to be replaced. Now to see if Pittasoft will actually work with me to get it replaced.

LB

please post back with how you go, it can be helpful for others either way

Update: I sent Pittasoft an email with all of the relevant details Friday afternoon. No response yet.

Same problem I am having. Ref when you update nothing happens. Fortunately I was able to revert back to 1.009

You'd think a £300 camera would work with little issue.

My £200 Winycam iPixi x100fhd worked far better.

I wanted a 2ch system and now I wish I hadn't bothered.

Back