Motorcycle dash cam(Waterproof)?

Krookz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys. Wondering if anyone has found or is running a dash cam on their motorcycle. I have one in my car, no reason not to have one on the bike. Near misses are a daily thing here so it would be smart. I would like one on the helmet but having to plug/unplug, deal with batteries, and turning on/off will be a huge pain. Id rather one mounted to the front of the bike, turn on/off with the bike and cycle video's. More so to prove what I was doing if I get hit. Thanks!

some of the sport cams now have vehicle mode so will function just like a dashcam, recycle recording, auto recording on power up etc, this type would be ideal for your use

Some cams come with waterproof cases. See the ProView HD Sports Camera for $150 on eBay. Has a waterproof case, but this camera is not the most discrete and video quality at night is average at best.

Is your motorcycle vibrating a lot when it's running, because if it is then it's not possible to use handlebar as a camera stand.
One way would be use strap like this to your chest, or best would be use helmet, then you could just turn your head if you see something interesting elsewhere.
You can give power for camera through bike's electric system, or you can buy usb power pack, it can last 10+ hours, so that would be enough in everyday life at least, and you would be free to get off your bike very fast.

Krookz said:
Hey guys. Wondering if anyone has found or is running a dash cam on their motorcycle. I have one in my car, no reason not to have one on the bike. Near misses are a daily thing here so it would be smart. I would like one on the helmet but having to plug/unplug, deal with batteries, and turning on/off will be a huge pain. Id rather one mounted to the front of the bike, turn on/off with the bike and cycle video's. More so to prove what I was doing if I get hit. Thanks!

Take a look at the Hero DVR here and the Hero DVR waterproof housing here.

Hero is a good product for its intended purpose, no good for what he wanted though, auto on/off, cyclical recording etc

Cyclic recording is there with GoPro Hero 3 now, the auto power on/off is missing though.

Mikk36 said:
Cyclic recording is there with GoPro Hero 3 now, the auto power on/off is missing though.

would really need something powered from the bike to make it convenient enough for everyday use, running only from battery is a liability, particularly for anyone that rides any sort of distance

Why not buy a go pro 2 which has a waterproof casing.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Seems like there's not much available... I have had helmet camera's mounted to a bunch of places on motorcycles before and vibration was not an issue. I also have a gp hero and Contour Roam2... not what I need for this application.

Also not really interested in putting more weight on my helmet. I ride 30 min to work daily. Already a burden on my neck as it is

I did manage to locate this. Kinda pricey imo. But has all the functions I need
http://www.tachyoninc.com/bikercam.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Art
Krookz said:
Thanks for the responses everyone. Seems like there's not much available... I have had helmet camera's mounted to a bunch of places on motorcycles before and vibration was not an issue. I also have a gp hero and Contour Roam2... not what I need for this application.

Also not really interested in putting more weight on my helmet. I ride 30 min to work daily. Already a burden on my neck as it is

I actually started to look into this since you asked (got me thinking) and there's not a lot available and what I could find was really only aimed at track day users, motorcross etc rather than daily commute use, I did ride up until recently and although I only rode for leisure (Honda Fireblade) rather than commuting I know it's the type of thing I would liked to have had on my bike, cars don't (look for) see bikes so it's always good to have evidence of what happened in the event of something going wrong

technically sport cams are not far removed from dashcams, many are running on the same platform, without too much trouble we could do the same type of firmware a dashcam runs, auto start and stop, cyclical recording, G-Sensor, GPS etc etc, the basic sport cam could provide us what we need as far as an all weather camera, I'm thinking though that for me at least I'd like it to be hard wired but easily removable from the bike for security reasons so would need some sort of easy to release bracket, ideally something that could be operated with gloves on, mounting hardware would need to be pretty flexible for choices as there's so much variety with bikes and where it might get mounted, for reasons of practicality would probably only look at working with 12v electrical systems

I'm probably a bit biased in wanting a cam but what are your thoughts, is it something you'd want (working more like a dashcam I mean), would you see others wanting the same, what do you think something like this should cost etc, have been giving it a bit of thought lately and would appreciate any input from yourself or others

jokiin said:
Krookz said:

I actually started to look into this since you asked (got me thinking) and there's not a lot available and what I could find was really only aimed at track day users, motorcross etc rather than daily commute use, I did ride up until recently and although I only rode for leisure (Honda Fireblade) rather than commuting I know it's the type of thing I would liked to have had on my bike, cars don't (look for) see bikes so it's always good to have evidence of what happened in the event of something going wrong

technically sport cams are not far removed from dashcams, many are running on the same platform, without too much trouble we could do the same type of firmware a dashcam runs, auto start and stop, cyclical recording, G-Sensor, GPS etc etc, the basic sport cam could provide us what we need as far as an all weather camera, I'm thinking though that for me at least I'd like it to be hard wired but easily removable from the bike for security reasons so would need some sort of easy to release bracket, ideally something that could be operated with gloves on, mounting hardware would need to be pretty flexible for choices as there's so much variety with bikes and where it might get mounted, for reasons of practicality would probably only look at working with 12v electrical systems

I'm probably a bit biased in wanting a cam but what are your thoughts, is it something you'd want (working more like a dashcam I mean), would you see others wanting the same, what do you think something like this should cost etc, have been giving it a bit of thought lately and would appreciate any input from yourself or others
Glad im not the only one out there thinking this would be good :D

Here's my thoughts; I know tons of people daily commute and near misses are a daily thing. It sucks... but people just dont care. Having proof of what you were doing at least would be a major help in court(Showing I was in my lane, following traffic, stopped at a light, or whatever)

It wouldn't need to necessarily be easily removable from the bike but easy access to the SD card would be(See contor roam2's back access hatch). In my case I would probably mount it to my headlight bracket or the handlebars. 90% of people wouldn't even know what it was, along with the other 1000 pieces on the bike so theft wouldn't be an issue. People would just take the entire bike before they'd be caught trying to unscrew a piece of the bike.

Waterproof/shockproof - for obvious reasons. Random storms here pop up all the time. I could see vibration issues on bikes like a Harley, and if you crash you dont want it to cut off abruptly.

Power - simple cable out of one side of the device with a pair of wires ready to be tapped into a power/ground source. Preferably 12v so you don't have to find a home for one of those 12v to 5v usb chargers.

Recording - Auto record when on, power down when 12v is killed. Small batt to save the last video.

I believe anything else would just increase cost and turn people away(GPS, g-sensor, screen). I think sub $100 would be acceptable, cheaper the better. I see a ton of people on the toyota fourms i visit picking up these devices(http://dashcamtalk.com/dvr-027-720p/) They're cheap enough to justify for everyone... And they work. Id imagine a few modifications and you could offer the same kind of option in a bullet camera shaped device pretty cheap. I had one of these(http://dashcamtalk.com/smallest-hd-720p/) but it had recording issues. Size/function/mount was PERFECT... minus the water proofing.

I'm doing a DVR at the moment which has remote cameras so the box could be a hideaway unit and just the cam would need to be exposed, in that case the cam being visible is probably not such a problem as it can be significantly smaller to start with, the camera also might end up being mounted somewhere hard to notice, in a fairing, air duct, headlight etc so even less of an issue, probably would be a bit higher price though (we only do full HD cams) and some one off tooling would put the price up a bit, if it's something we did it's logical to look to use anything we can from existing product to save tooling costs, camera housings, mounting brackets etc, would still need some unique components though, just food for thought at this stage and it would really depend what price we could deliver the product for if it would be something that riders would consider worthwhile, I think there's possibly a market for the right product though

Keep us posted.

Centuri said:
You can be interested in this motorcycle dashcam coming soon
pls check here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgTlTWTJCHs
cheers
charles

I don't think I would have done it quite like this, bikes are certainly more of a challenge than cars though and I don't think there's any right or wrong answer as to what way is best, good to see something becoming available though as I do believe there's a market to be had in this category

Jokiin, as an avid rider myself, when I do have a bike, I would personally find front and rear cams to be extremely important.

One of my good friends was killed last year by being rear ended and the lady driving got off scott free because there was no way to prove that her story was false. She had said he was doing "tricks" on his HARLEY DRESSER in front of her, like wheelies and stoppies, and that was the end of that. Total crap and an obvious lie, but who was to prove her wrong?

Now, as far as the nifty little screen goes mounted near the handle bars, that would be a deal breaker for me, I don't need a screen to distract me while riding.

I like the waterproof cams, obviously, the LED's can be axed because, well, like jokiin said in another thread, it's a marketing ploy by someone who has absolutely no clue. As jokiin said earlier in this thread, I like the idea of seperating the DVR from the cameras for a more stealth location.

I also like the idea of having easy access to the SD card. BUT, if possible, making it SDXC would be optimal.

So, lets go down the list here.
  • 1080 is, for me anyway, a must have
  • Dual channel
  • seperate location for DVR for stealth locations of camera lenses
  • NO LED'S!!!

Personally, for a bike, that would be all I require, though at times the GPS could be useful, and I certainly would not turn it down either. Price range I would say I'd pay close to Hero prices for it, because of weather proofing and the unique mounting hardware challenges that a bike presents, specifically.

I mean honestly, let's be real here, depending on conditions, the camera is there to protect not only you, but on a bike, it is there to protect your family as well in the case that you end up 6 feet under. Who is going to foot that bill? Get my drift?

I've owned 20 or so bikes over many years and I don't recall any of them where a screen mounted up front would be suitable, personally I wouldn't want one there anyway even if there was room as I agree it would be a distraction, was hard enough to even catch a glimpse of the speedo on my last bike

I'd be looking at more discrete cams also, stuff like dual 1080p, SDXC etc is no issue

You and I are definitely in agreance about what we, as riders anyway, would be looking for in a bike dvr.

It's just what is everyone looking for in a price range.

Personally, like I said before, I'd be willing to go upwards of $300 for a bike mounted DVR system. Again, because of the weather proofing and mounting hardware challenges to make everyone happy. Mainly because not everyone wants to sticky everything to panels, and if there aren't panels, unique clamping hardware needs to be included. I'd say go for something similar to the hardware the GoPro has, but even that can be a challenge in itself since that hardware isn't discreet to say the least.

the mounting hardware is by far the more challenging part of the process, the hardware itself, DVR, cams etc is easy in comparison

Back