Mounting Question

statueim

Reaction score
Country
United States
The small form factor of the Mini 0801 really appeals to me, but I have only seen pictures of it mounted where the long body is mounted horizontally (like in the following image)
Mini-0801-Mount-2.jpg

However, I would find it to be a more appealing camera if I could mount the camera so the body is vertical and only the camera lens is peaking out from behind my mirror as opposed to the entire body of the camera (this would likely require a different mount obviously so I could still achieve up/down tilt).

My Question:
Is it possible to adjust the camera such that it can be mounted "vertically" as I mentioned previously while still capturing the same information as it would when mounted "horizontally" (i.e. still record such that the longest portion of the aspect ratio records what is happening more of what is happening to the left and right of the vehicle rather than up and down--while the sky is nice to look at, I am not to interested in recording more of it than I do objects at ground level with my camera)?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

My Question:
Is it possible to adjust the camera such that it can be mounted "vertically" as I mentioned previously while still capturing the same information as it would when mounted "horizontally"?

No.

You would get a lot of car hood, sky, and sunshade and a very narrow view of the road ahead.

In some dash cams you can open unit body and turn lens along with cmos 90 degree. I dont know if it can be done with mini 0801, all depends on connections of cmos + lens and kens housing. But you can try to open and look inside.

In addition: even if it possible to turn lens + cmos inside unit, then still you will face a challenge with bracket connecting to widshield which is in most cars about 35-40 degree angle. Only in trucks and busses which windshield is vertical, only there you can mount mini 0801 vertically without any modifications to the bracket. Or you can make DIY triangle adaptor for the bracket but in this case dash camera lens will be far away from windshield and in many cases does not fit behind rear view mirror.

Thank you to all for your responses. I wanted to know if the physical camera (lens and cmos) inside the dash cam body could be easily rotated, so thank you very much to all and especially niko for your detailed response. I apologize for being unfamiliar with the terminology and not making my question clear enough in this respect as I understood that I would get very nice pictures of the sky if all the camera did not easily allow the roation.

Looking at the body of the dash cam, while I am fairly comfortable with electronics and soldering, I unfortunately not willing to gamble $100 at this time to see if I can rotate the lens and cmos on this camera without a wiring diagram as I am unfamiliar with camera components (to note: I have seen the innards of the camera in the photos below). I know this is a long-shot, but since knock-offs are common does anyone know of a wiring diagram for this camera? I would give strong consideration to performing the modification if I had a proper diagram that shows which components are which and how exactly they interconnect. Thank you again in advance for your responses!

Mini-0801-Disassembled-1.jpg

Mini-0801-Disassembled-3.jpg

If CMOS housing soldered permanently to board, then it almost impossible to do some rotations. I am not familiar with internals of 0801. In most other dash cams CMOS housing connected to lens housing and main board with two screws, - in those cases you can do some DIY, but not sure about what can be done to 0801. If you take closer look into 0801 and find out about how CMOS sensor connected to main board, - then you can go from there.

I consider the dashcam from the first picture very well mounted, perfect for this subject.
If you want to hide some part of the dashcam you can expose only the right part of DR0801, where the lens is. But not very little because the wide lens is forcing to you to show much more camera than you like.

You can consider another form factors, like Mobius for example.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
newscast Mini 0801 3
S Mini 0801 6
B Mini 0801 22
S Mini 0801 11
R Mini 0801 9
Back