Multiple camera setup

ronaldklijsen

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi everyone,
I'm having troubles with my MioJ85 (front) + A30 (rear) dashcam setup. I found out, recordings were not trustworthy. Sometimes, I had no recordings at all, sometimes a gap of 10 seconds between recordings files.
Today, I found out, i'm only having this trouble if I connect the rear dashcam (A30).

I guess when 2 camera's are streaming/writing at the same time to the same SD card (like in this Mio setup), is just asking for trouble. But I'm not a expert off course! :)

So, I was wondering, does other brands which offer a dual camera setup, also writes to 1 SD card like this Mio setup? Or, maybe they are using 2 SD cards?
Are there other people out there which experince the same trouble (regardless of the brand dashcam that is used), as I do, when using a multiple camera setup?

Like to hear from you!

Rear cameras have been known to cause problems due to faulty wire / plug, so try to unplug that.

All cameras write to 1 memory card, even the new Vantrue N5 which are a 4 channel system. there are or at least was a few Lukas brand cameras that had 2 memory cards, but TBH i think that is a done deal in 2023.

Hi Kamkar,
thanks for the quick reply.

So, we may assume it has been proven multiple camera's can write smoothly to 1 sd card, right?

It's going to be a software (or maybe hardware) problem of the Mio then.
I forgot to mention, I tried 4 different brands SD cards (Samsung, Kingston, Transcend and Lexar) so that is ruled out :)

Hi Kamkar,
thanks for the quick reply.

So, we may assume it has been proven multiple camera's can write smoothly to 1 sd card, right?

It's going to be a software (or maybe hardware) problem of the Mio then.
I forgot to mention, I tried 4 different brands SD cards (Samsung, Kingston, Transcend and Lexar) so that is ruled out :)
Either a shoddy cable like Kamkar said or you might just have to take the plunge and get a replacement front and rear cam system from a reputable brand such as Viofo or Vantrue

I am amazed i have not myself had the rear camera connection issue, CUZ i have been testing quite a few 2 or more channel cameras since that became possible.
But ! if the rear camera connection are a bit flaky it can take down the whole system, so its not just a matter of the rear camera coming and going. It is fine for a clean boot with or without any remote cameras connected, but if one camera disconnect after boot, that trigger all kinds of problems for the system.

And its not like i am super gentle installing a new system in the car, at least not at first, but if its a feel good system i might update it to primary system and the most prime location on my windscreen, and so a new install are often needed.

As you have tried that many memory cards, i very much doubt that is the problem, i am more inclined to guess towards problematic rear camera wire or plug ( for instance a hatch back car like mine ) you do not want a lot of slack wire at the rear camera, that can cause the plug to wiggle loose.
Also the power source, some are tempted to use a USB charge plug in the car, but even today with fast charge phones these in car USB plugs are often very weak.
The same go for some multi port USB chargers people might get to be able to do more things with the one 12 V plug in their dash, and while these often claim to be 2 A on each socket, thats often not correct, and then a camera get starved for power, and will behave erratic on boot but also during general operation.
Hence why i said that if you use a " creative " power source, you should try the provided one that came with the camera.

TBH i have a little problem accepting the wire getting broken, unless you install the system with 2 hammers, in my eyes the wires i had dealt with have always felt sturdy.
Okay the little coaxial wires and plugs on some newer viofo cameras, do / did have me a little worried as they are only 50% diameter of the USB wires we most see used, but i have now tried a couple of cameras using that rear camera connection and for me it have worked just fine and i must say the thinner wires, and smaller plugs, are a dream to work with during install.
So much so that when i installed the A 139 camera i was sent i immediately routed the wire thru the cable rubber grommet to my rear hatch, CUZ with the easy to work with cable it was not really any extra work for me.

Now the rear camera unit can of course also be broken, but from keeping taps on things in here, that seem to be very rare VS the broken wire.

There are also the issue of incompatible memory cards, this is a real issue but in most brands its not super hard to buy a working card, on the flip side other big name brands seem to go out of their way to ensure as little as possible work with their model.
My suite of memory cards to test this with are at 12 cards ( 256 GB ones ) and most often most of those will work in any dashcam, but testing the viofo A 229 duo i did run into 3 brand new cards in a row that did not work there, but those 3 cards then worked just fine in the vantrue system i was also testing at the time. And of course in my dji action camera and other stuff i tried those cards in.

Also some of those " viofo problematic " cards, also appear to work just fine in a 70mai system i am testing ATM, so for sure viofo just had a hickup there, but plenty of other cards work just fine.

A small update regarding this issue.

The Mio J85 (front camera) is connected on a Mio Smartbox. This Smartbox supplies power even if the car is parked. This Smartbox is connected right to the battery/accu of the car. So not to a 12v plug somewhere in the car. The A30 (Rear camera) is connected to the same cable as the J85 (front camera).

You can say, it's a split (T-)cable. So, also no 12v plug for the rear camera.

I now see, the cable is 8 meter. Maybe that's a bit to long. So, i'm going to replace it with a less longer cable and see what's happen next.

i also got a brand new SD card (Samsung pro endurence) as adviced by Mio support desk. I'm going to test this card before changing the cable.

Keep you all posted.

The SD card did not make any difference, which we already thought so.
New cables are arriving this week.

so, with the new cable, which is 3 meters long, no problems occured!

case closed! :)

Back