My ideal dash camera

debit.servus

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new here, and have used dash cameras in the van for nearly 2 years. Have caught one collision and a couple other incidents with video to show for it. After owning the G1W capacitor dashcam, the Pilot Automotive Dash Cam (the best I've used under $50) and now the BlackView dual camera with GPS (thanks DashCamTalk buying guide!). I figure it's time to share what my ideal dash camera looks and functions like.

My ideal dash camera would be a self-contained stealthy & discreet box with four suction cups that mount to the windshield. The cameras would have at least 150 degree field of vision, and have great day quality with OK night quality. The camera would record at a minimum top resolution of 1280x720, in a standard format like .MP4, .MKV or .mpeg. Audio quality would be great with mono sound or microphones on each side of the box for stereo sound. There is also analog and possibly miniHDMI video out ports.

It would have the camera lens on an up-down swirvel to account for different windshield slopes. On a 2 channel version, a second camera faces inward also on an up-down swirvel with extra wide angle. The second camera could have a left-right swirvel with 360 degree pan capability, to face the passenger side or outside the car.

The box would be discreet with the option to disable indicator lights, and not have any descriptive markings visible from outside or inside. The dash cam comes with a built-in screen, with a door cover or an on/off switch for the screen. For power input it uses a standard cig lighter and mini-USB with a thin-but-sufficient cable for easy hiding inside trim. The box would look to the untrained eye as a black box, as discreet as it can get before disquising the camera as something else. This reduces or elimates the camera as a target for theives, so users of the camera who live or park in high-crime areas have reduced risk of having a smash and grab happen to them.

The dash camera use standard microSD cards with a max limit of 64GB or even 128GB. There are buttons next to the screen to control the camera, which could be touch buttons or physical buttons. The dashcamera features G-sensor and loop record, with the expected and standard options for a low-end dashcamera. Another nice and possibly low-cost feature to add would be an atomic time reciever to sync the time on the dashcamera.

This whole unit would be sold to the consumer for $100 or less, and have a design lifespan of a few years or more, depending on the target profit margins of the manufacturer and cost to manufacture each camera.

Back