My miscalculation or his fault

sone983

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
Dash Cam
Yi dashcam,VIOFO WR 1
You should have driven past him before turning even if you thought he was also turning - your fault for not following the rules...

Schrodinger's cab.
You don't know the result until you enter the box.

The rule has been muddied, at least here. It is common to have road markings telling you to pass nearside - to - nearside at junctions, and this has encouraged people to use their own judgement at unmarked junctions.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That Taxi was clearing indicating a left turn. He was in the Wrong. Probably still a good thing that you yielded to him anyway!

Schrodinger's cab.
You don't know the result until you enter the box.

The rule has been muddied, at least here. It is common to have road markings telling you to pass nearside - to - nearside at junctions, and this has encouraged people to use their own judgement at unmarked junctions.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
At some junctions it's not really possible to follow the rule of passing before turning, but in this case the side roads don't appear to be directly opposite so it is quite clear that the normal rules should have been followed. If you are going to turn in front of another car in a situation like that then they will always have right of way so you must be sure that they are giving way before you block their path, in this case they didn't give way so it is the OP's fault.

Of course Serbia may have different rules to us, and everyone else.

You should have driven past him before turning even if you thought he was also turning - your fault for not following the rules...
I followed rules and turning left,he was parked-stopped on te street and he turned signal to turn left and continue to drive straight-forward.His signal to turn left is turned on to the point where I stopped my vehicle.

Here in SC USA you're supposed to pass passenger-side to passenger-side, which allows both drivers to always have the other car in their view until all are clear. At sharply angled intersections that can cause problems, and the same for using a median cross-over to get to the other side of the highway. Most of the time the people just do what works best since almost nobody knows about this law.

I won't judge the vid- it's a tough call with the angled intersection. I will say that when in doubt, give way to the other driver ;)

Phil

In Serbia traffic rules are 90% or more same with other Europe countries except maybe in UK,we are also passing by another car by passengers side.This intersection has opposite side street,bird eye view of intersection is like a cross,90° angle.

Seem like we have the same weather tonight

4 way stop intersection, here you have to stop from traffic on the right and make sure traffic on the left are stopping for you.
The oncoming car you either have to pass in front of, or let it pass and then turn behind it, so here your timing was a little off if you was driving in Denmark.

But you know where reverse gear are in your car so no biggie / metal bend.

That Taxi was clearing indicating a left turn. He was in the Wrong. Probably still a good thing that you yielded to him anyway!
I agree with you and I think I didn't nothing wrong,because he did giving a signo turn left.Intersection has a width and if oncoming car wants to turn left and I also(turn left),we haven't any collision points in line of our paths.

I am always extra careful around 4 way stops, a lot of Danes seem to be clueless as to how it work and just go by "i was there first so i have right of way"
And actually in case of a crash the insurances will be a 50 X 50 split, as the wording in the traffic code are ambiguous, so even if you are hit from the left by a guy supposed to stop, if you driven out in front of him assuming he stopped and he dident well then you will be in the wrong too :rolleyes:

Where my friend live in a villa area just west of Aarhus there are a small 4 way stop 100 M from his house, there are almost a crash there every week.
The roads there are pretty small and that intersection you can not see to the sides before you have entered the intersection, so really you have to slow way down and look left and right carefully.

I agree with you and I think I didn't nothing wrong,because he did giving a signo turn left.Intersection has a width and if oncoming car wants to turn left and I also(turn left),we haven't any collision points in line of our paths.
You were following your rules, he was following his rules. Watching the video it appears that his rules are different to your rules so you think he was wrong and he thinks you are wrong!

In the UK we can choose to turn in front or turn behind. It is normal to turn behind unless the road layout makes it difficult because then you don't kill the cyclist shown in the right diagram because by turning behind you can see that the road is clear:

rule-181-left-turning-right-side-to-right-side-right-turning-left-side-to-left-side_orig.jpg

In the UK we can choose to turn in front or turn behind

Same here, the major point of this being the omni present mutual consideration and / or not being a nuisance to the other traffic.
you can turn in front as long as you don't force the other car to stomp on the brake.

Main thing is if every one are careful and know the rules then things will work, but i have always suspected 4 way stops to be a really ineffective way to facilitate traffic at a intersection, even worse than a roundabout.

Seem like we have the same weather tonight

4 way stop intersection, here you have to stop from traffic on the right and make sure traffic on the left are stopping for you.
The oncoming car you either have to pass in front of, or let it pass and then turn behind it, so here your timing was a little off if you was driving in Denmark.

But you know where reverse gear are in your car so no biggie / metal bend.
Looo at that idiot with fog lights,he dont need them at all,there are streetlights and visibility is good.
I am always extra careful around 4 way stops, a lot of Danes seem to be clueless as to how it work and just go by "i was there first so i have right of way"
And actually in case of a crash the insurances will be a 50 X 50 split, as the wording in the traffic code are ambiguous, so even if you are hit from the left by a guy supposed to stop, if you driven out in front of him assuming he stopped and he dident well then you will be in the wrong too :rolleyes:

Where my friend live in a villa area just west of Aarhus there are a small 4 way stop 100 M from his house, there are almost a crash there every week.
The roads there are pretty small and that intersection you can not see to the sides before you have entered the intersection, so really you have to slow way down and look left and right carefully.
I think you didn't understand me/my video,this intersection is not a 4 way stop,both of us were on street with " right of way".

You were following your rules, he was following his rules. Watching the video it appears that his rules are different to your rules so you think he was wrong and he thinks you are wrong!

In the UK we can choose to turn in front or turn behind. It is normal to turn behind unless the road layout makes it difficult because then you don't kill the cyclist shown in the right diagram because by turning behind you can see that the road is clear:

rule-181-left-turning-right-side-to-right-side-right-turning-left-side-to-left-side_orig.jpg
Maybe he gets his driver license/permit in the UK?There are NO,my rules or his rules,same rules for all drivers in my country.We dont have choice like you do.In Serbia correct pass is like on right side picture is showing,except we are driving on the right side of street instead of left like you do in UK.Just a little notice,probably it cant be seen in video but he(taxi driver in video), continue straight-forward,he didnt turn left behind even though it would be wrong by Serbian traffic rules.
BTW what is OP stand for?What OP means?

Last edited:
@kamkar1 How you deal with a 4 way stop intersections in your country?In mine,would be,on who goes first and then one whos right side is free and so on...

Here in SC USA, at a 4-way stop the car to your right goes first unless you stopped before they did, in which case everyone takes turns. But if you're in an intersection crash at a 4-way stop here, you really need your dashcam or you're likely to get burned by a lying driver claiming they were stopped before you were if they were on your right side but went out of turn :eek:

We've got a few 4-way stops on heavily traveled roads, and those who use them regularly know how to do it to reduce everyone's wait times, but it all goes out the window when someone not paying attention to the traffic pattern arrives :mad: One single idiot in traffic can screws up dozens of others (n)

Phil

@SawMaster I meant that,maybe I expressed wrong.Car on my right side,has advantage over me,I have advantage on car from my left side and so on....clockwise we all pass intersection.But someone has to start going first and next is car from side left side,who hasnt anyone coming from his right side.

"Who starts first then who goes next" is always a problem which is why we have dashcams to protect us, as it seems few people know or care about the rules :rolleyes: My "when in doubt, give way to the other driver" statement covers you since when a moving car hits a stopped car, there is always at least some fault on the moving car and often them moving and you not makes it their fault completely ;) Better than you being at fault completely :eek:

Phil

"Who starts first then who goes next" is always a problem which is why we have dashcams to protect us, as it seems few people know or care about the rules :rolleyes: My "when in doubt, give way to the other driver" statement covers you since when a moving car hits a stopped car, there is always at least some fault on the moving car and often them moving and you not makes it their fault completely ;) Better than you being at fault completely :eek:

Phil
You are 100% right.

Back