My Mobius blew up

Ryan1999

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey all,

I've had 2 mobius cameras mounted in my car for the last 6 months. During the summer one of my cameras seemed to implode from the inside, though it still works. It's also tucked between the roof and the ceiling liner so it can't breathe properly I'd assume.

If I wrap it in some electrical tape will it be fine?

Thanks

KmtB6xj.jpg

PR0XrMx.jpg

SnIHRsb.jpg

8LTtdKT.jpg

Battery or Supercapacitor? You'll want to use the capacitor version in high heat conditions especially longer term.

I have the battery versions. It's winter now, down to -10 to -20 now. No housing on the cameras, hope they can take it? lol

Cameras are stock. Still with the original battery. Only one blew up though between the roof liner, it may have been touching metal as well so the heat wrecked it. I have another at the front hanging on the rear view mirror and it's been fine.

I just don't want this to be a fire hazard at all if I leave it as is and stick it back in the car?

I have a third mobius just sitting in the house so I could use that for now.

How does the cold eg. -20 effect these cameras with no housing?

Better if you replace battery to supercaps ( available from Mobius dealers ).

Clear as mud methinks...... NEVER put a camera in EXTREME temps ( roof top ) and where it cant breathe.

Last edited:
Clear as mud methinks......... NEVER put a camera in EXTREME temps ( roof top ) and where it cant breathe.

We all learn from mistakes.

You've experienced battery puff. Luck that's all it did. Do not use it without getting a new battery or supercap. I highly suggest a supercap as a new battery will likely do the same.

(The battery in the picture didn't look so bad, so I was curious if that was the original battery)

Thanks for the replys,

I'm going to change the batteries out to capacitors before the summer comes. Cold temps are fine with the batteries I assume?

I don't think it's worth finding out. The super caps are not expensive. Since you had one catastrophic event, I'd think it was enough. :)

Good idea. Best trusted site to order the supercap from? I'm from Canada as well

Hey all,

I've had 2 mobius cameras mounted in my car for the last 6 months. During the summer one of my cameras seemed to implode from the inside, though it still works. It's also tucked between the roof and the ceiling liner so it can't breathe properly I'd assume.

If I wrap it in some electrical tape will it be fine?

Thanks

KmtB6xj.jpg

PR0XrMx.jpg

SnIHRsb.jpg

8LTtdKT.jpg

One of the unique and really cool things about the Mobius is that you can readily buy replacement and DIY parts for the camera. Since your camera still works the thing to do would be to simply purchase a new replacement case for it which you can buy for a few dollars from sources like BuyMobius, Banggood or eBay, then install a super-capacitor instead of the battery and you'll be good as new!

Be aware that the most recent generation Mobius cameras and cases are designed for the newest FRP lens modules which are larger than the original metal lens modules.

mobicase2.png

Mobicase1.png

Last edited:
Back