My rear camera fell off

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A118C, SG9665GC
I've had my rear camera attached to the plastic at the top of the hatchback, with the cable duct-taped along the top and then running down to the power socket.

Yesterday, it wasn't there. It had fallen off, and was rolling around in the back of the car. I presume the back got too hot, loosened the glue on the mounting plate, and it fell under the camera's weight. Oddly, the front camera is still stuck on fine, but that's on the glass, not plastic.

Has anyone mounted theirs more securely than just the tape? It looks like I may have to put some small screws in there to hold it in place.

I've had my rear camera attached to the plastic at the top of the hatchback, with the cable duct-taped along the top and then running down to the power socket.

Yesterday, it wasn't there. It had fallen off, and was rolling around in the back of the car. I presume the back got too hot, loosened the glue on the mounting plate, and it fell under the camera's weight. Oddly, the front camera is still stuck on fine, but that's on the glass, not plastic.

Has anyone mounted theirs more securely than just the tape? It looks like I may have to put some small screws in there to hold it in place.

Plastic has abrasive surface, there for glue does not hold for long time, especially more likely fake "3M" used on B40 mounts. Even original 3M might not hold for long time on plastic. Original 3M VHB will be better option, especially to resist high heat, but still for better result you need to prepare that abrasive plastic surface. Read HERE.

3m VHB tape works on surface tension to create adhesion, surfaces need to be smooth for it to work

I ended up using blue silicone rtv gasket maker to glue the cf100 rear camera to the plastic trim above the rear window in our Toyota Highlander. So far so good, and our car is black and sits outside every day in Houston heat, which has been in the mid 100s for a couple weeks now (actual temp, not heat index - that's been 115-120!)

Rtv won't be affected by such "low" temps since it's meant to be used directly on the engine itself. But it will also come off fairly easily if I need it to. The main drawback is cure time - I had to tape it on and let it cure several days before putting it in the car. Not to mention how messy it can be... I took the trim off and did it inside so I wouldn't get any in the head liner.

You could use other colors of rtv but they won't come off as easily in the future, and some may etch the plastic too. That's why I used blue - it's the least "aggressive" type I know of.

Plastic suffers from ozone degradation from it's surface inward, so unless the glue or tape is airtight, the plastic can degrade underneath it affecting the bond. And silicone is my favorite 'removable' glue too though I usually use the clear since I always have it on hand.

Phil

Plastic suffers from ozone degradation from it's surface inward, so unless the glue or tape is airtight, the plastic can degrade underneath it affecting the bond. And silicone is my favorite 'removable' glue too though I usually use the clear since I always have it on hand.

Phil
That was the other reason I used blue - I had some on hand already. :)

Back