nanoQ 0903 hardware update

Rayman.Chan

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
China
Dash Cam
mini0806, mini0806S, mini0903/0905, mini0906, mini0808
for the old batch 0903, the discharge current of RTC battery is too high so the RTC survive less than 2 days.
if you can, a DIY work will help (need some DIY solder skill and equipment):
1, take the battery + pin from PCB, use a heat resisting tape to insulate;
2, connect the battery +pin with the diode with a 220R resistor
that means add a resistor between the diode and battery, which will extend the RTC last time effectively.
<<of course, if you can't DIY, it is OK to send the the camera to our factory to repair>>
_zf52xh-ul-46w2q-r93-png.30325

and some users feedback the last files of every driving is damaged, that is because a charging diode was burn/damaged from high input voltage for some reason.
please replace the SS14 diode with a new one, then the camera will work fine.
20170421160454.jpg

That must be my issue. I just updated to the latest 4/20/17 fw and I have some damaged unplayable files on my Nanoq that I just bought from Gearbest. Also the 1080p30 video quality is not nearly as good as on youtube videos.
I couldn't do the fix that Rayman describes. Where do I have to send my Nanoq? Hope it can be repaired in the US. Mailing to China is too expensive.

some users feedback the last files of every driving is damaged, that is because a charging diode was burn/damaged from high input voltage for some reason.
please replace the SS14 diode with a new one, then the camera will work fine.
View attachment 30327

I found mine has this issue too. How to test SS14 diode is good or not with multimeter without soldering work?

I found mine has this issue too. How to test SS14 diode is good or not with multimeter without soldering work?

you can use the diode test shift to measure the diode, try to measure in forward direct and backward direction, there should be value display on multimeter in one direction.
If no value in both direction, that means the diode was damaged.

you can use the diode test shift to measure the diode, try to measure in forward direct and backward direction, there should be value display on multimeter in one direction.
If no value in both direction, that means the diode was damaged.

I checked my videos. And don't have this issue with new firmware of 0425. It's looks pretty cool now. Works great!

The plastic for the GPS mount breaks by itself very easily, especially around the screws that hold the two halves of the mount together and the round rings that form the hinged joint connected to the camera.

Is there any improvement to the formula used to create the plastic so that it will be more durable? Is there any improvement to reduce electromagnetic interference that causes GPS lock problems?

It has been less than one year and the plastic for my GPS mount already self-destructed. I would like improved replacement plastic parts for the GPS mount, including the hinged joint and connecting arm. Can I receive those parts for my Mini 0903/NanoQ under warranty?

I received replacement plastics from @Rayman.Chan but the GPS enclosure broke almost immediately.
I'm not sure if that was redesigned lately.

the GPS enclosure broke almost immediately.

the mold shop used PC material to inject the old GPS housing which we asked for ABS. PC material is more fragility than ABS so easily damaged.
once we found this we changed the supplier and reinforce the plastics then the problem is gone.

Can I receive those parts for my Mini 0903/NanoQ under warranty?

Grozimo please send me a PM of your shipping address & contact number, we will send you a new set of the components immediately.

the mold shop used PC material to inject the old GPS housing which we asked for ABS. PC material is more fragility than ABS so easily damaged.
once we found this we changed the supplier and reinforce the plastics then the problem is gone.
Hey @Rayman.Chan is this the new design?
20161110173045_54628.jpg

yes added lips around the housing and a new sticking plate, then the GPS mount can be take off together with camera body easily from windshield.

I did the modification, i also loaded the latest F/W. Everything still works ok.

I completelly unsoldered the battery?/capacitor? whatever it is and put two layers of capton tape over the pcb area that needed to isolate.
Then as i didn't found a 220ohm SMD resistor in my components box i used a small normal (non SMD) resistor that i found. It might be a bit difficult job to solder the resistor on the diode side but a soldering iron with a fine tip will help a lot.

I didn't took more pictures but i put extra capton tape over the resistor as i don't kow if it could touch somewhere with the case closed.

I'm also willing to try with a smaller GPS patch antenna although i don't have GPS lock issues anymore.
What i have with the GPS and is a difference of the speed value displayed on the recorder video and the actual speed.
What happens is that the is a delay of a few seconds (4-5) before the actual speed is "burned" on the video.
For example if you are going with lets say 80km/h and put the car in a sudden stop you will see that allthough you are stationary the speed indication on the video still shows a decreasing speed till it goes to 0.
As the GPS data NMEA output is refreshed every second i wasn'e expecting that much deviation.

I also wonder if somebody could make a .STL file for a 3D printer to print a homemade GPS case.
My case is not broken yet but after so many times i oppened it it looks that the end is close :)

The new sliding design is a nice idea making it easier to move the dash cam to another car if needed without loosing the GPS.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 95
Hi Rayman

So this fixes the loosing of date/time after 2-3 days? If so how do I as a simple user get a fix for this problem?

Cheers

This fix does indeed prolong the battery, but date still resets after ~3 days standby, when I'm driving short trips.

The cam could test at startup if its date has reseted to year 2016, then it could make some noise and show the date dialog.

Last edited:
... or update checking the default date/time when turn on cam and changing to the last known/saved.
Algorithm could look something like this:
* initial setting of the date/time;
after saving the last video file also creating and saving text file "DateTime.txt" with last date & time in it.
2017 05 29
16:59:16

After 2,3 o more days tur on the cam:
* reading content of the file DateTime.txt and checking
If cam.Date < DataTime.Date then
cam.Date = DataTime.Date
cam.Time = DataTime.Time + 1s​
EndIf

In this case the cam could write recorded videos even with incorrect date/time in sd card (will work deleting old date files).
With default date 2016 01 01 and full sd card you are doomed to loose all evidence :( (old date files deleting does not work).
@Rayman.Chan is it possible to update RTC function with this feature?

Every 2,3 days, when wife decide to go with the car, I am going to set the date/time. 20 - 40 min of driving is not enough
to fully charge the volts in to very small batery...

Yes this would eas the pain. Or option to sequence the files.
Cheers

... or update checking the default date/time when turn on cam and changing to the last known/saved.
Algorithm could look something like this:
* initial setting of the date/time;
after saving the last video file also creating and saving text file "DateTime.txt" with last date & time in it.
2017 05 29
16:59:16

After 2,3 o more days tur on the cam:
* reading content of the file DateTime.txt and checking
If cam.Date < DataTime.Date then
cam.Date = DataTime.Date
cam.Time = DataTime.Time + 1s​
EndIf

In this case the cam could write recorded videos even with incorrect date/time in sd card (will work deleting old date files).
With default date 2016 01 01 and full sd card you are doomed to loose all evidence :( (old date files deleting does not work).
@Rayman.Chan is it possible to update RTC function with this feature?

Every 2,3 days, when wife decide to go with the car, I am going to set the date/time. 20 - 40 min of driving is not enough
to fully charge the volts in to very small batery...
It's highly unlikely that this would be ever implemented. First, I don't think shops like Meg have the expertise to do it. Most are just "integrators" or "assemblers" and don't have their own software engineers. Second, it would be much easier to fix it "properly" eg. design the circuit to keep the RTC going for at least 5 days.

I don't think shops like Meg have the expertise to do it
Sorry, @lacibaci, but I believe... still :) About MEG:
MEG technology take user needs as the target, according user experience as purpose,
base on user feedback to research, develope, produce the automotive electronic consumer products
which are innovative, practical, easy to use and durable.

It's highly unlikely that this would be ever implemented. First, I don't think shops like Meg have the expertise to do it. Most are just "integrators" or "assemblers" and don't have their own software engineers. Second, it would be much easier to fix it "properly" eg. design the circuit to keep the RTC going for at least 5 days.

they do actually have some engineering capability these days, but you are correct, it's a hardware fix that is needed, not a software workaround

Back