Need recommendations for 64/128gb card for 9665gc

Do you find it really necessary to record more than 32gb of data?

32gb is still going to give the last 4 hours or so of video which for most people is plenty, 32gb is native FAT32 which is also the most stable for camera use and is also the best bang for back memory size/cost at the moment, sometimes there are valid reasons for wanting to hold more, keep an entire workshift on record, that type of thing, some people want more just because they can in some cases

sometimes there are valid reasons for wanting to hold more, keep an entire workshift on record, that type of thing, some people want more just because they can in some cases
I want more for parking lots as I leave camera running in parking lots and want to review that footage if anything goes wrong so I have a 128gb card.

I want and have at least 64, because I record holiday trips and with 32GB I need to swap cards around lunch time to avoid overwriting, which I regularly kept forgetting.
With 64 I have about 8 hours engine ON time, which has up to now been enough to record the whole day. I copy the card in the evening and then put it back for the next day.
If I had a dream cam that was 50 or 60 fps able, or a larger than HD picture size, I would probably need 128GB.

How far away is 128GB in-cam formatting ?
Should I get one to be ready or will it take so long time that prices will drop and I'm better off waiting to buy ?

memory prices appear to be dropping almost weekly I have noticed.

How far away is 128GB in-cam formatting ?
Should I get one to be ready or will it take so long time that prices will drop and I'm better off waiting to buy ?

We should be able to add firmware support for native "in-cam" formatting of 128GB cards as soon as Novatek adds 128GB support in the SDK. In the mean time you can natively format 128GB in the computer using the special utility.

I am using a SanDisk Ultra 128GB Class 10 card.

This morning when I powered up the camera it started beeping at me, and would not record. The card is 99% full (727MB free).

Just looking for advice here, could the camera not be able to delete the oldest file on this card ?

Firmare: SG20150925.V2

SanDisk is not the recommended card on Novatek based DashCam systems. They use a proprietary controller which can trip things up long term. I think a newer Novatek SDK might work around this long standing SanDisk compatibility problem in a future update. (We'll see) Until that time it's best to use Transcend, Lexar, PNY.

Sandisk are not recommended, we will be doing an update soon though that will add support for more cards so it might be ok after that update, will need to be tested

This morning when I powered up the camera it started beeping at me, and would not record. The card is 99% full (727MB free).

Just looking for advice here, could the camera not be able to delete the oldest file on this card ?

also how had you formatted the card?

I never had any luck with any sandisk, I don't use them any more, I have gone through several in blackspew dash cams as well as these and just given up, pay a bit more for a quality card.

I think Sandisk quality is fine, they way they can switch to read only on errors though makes them a liability for dashcam use

also how had you formatted the card?

I utilized the FAT32-Formatter from your site (allocation size 32768).

The card had been working just fine, including erasing oldest files previously.

I have two of the cards, so am trying the second one now. May take a few days to fill it up though :). I'll report back on how it does.

What's the schedule for the update? Trying to determine if I should buy a new card.

Ron

Thanks for the update.

I'll wait on purchasing new cards.

I've been using a Kingston 128GB card with no major problems so far. I've seen some corrupt files in the last week or two, but that may be because the temperature has dropped well below freezing.

are you on the updated firmware already?

I'm still on the original firmware: I had to roll it back because the version the camera came with had image quality problems.

I formatted the cards in Linux, and just plugged them into the camera. Being able to format in the camera will be much better :).

Back