Need some help with my sd card

Cartouche

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
hey all

I received my brand new transcende 64 gb card and i figured since i havent received my dashcam yet, that i'm goin to test my new card on other uses in the meantime. So i figured ill put a movie on it and watch it on my tablet.

However when i put it in and tried to copy the move to the sd card, the error : "device is write protected".
But im 100% sure it isnt. I tried to format it (suggestion on the web for solving it) but smae error.
I put it in my tablet, however there i could format it or copy files to it just fine.

So i found this link :

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/storage/how-erase-write-protected-usb-drive-or-sd-card-3456666/
I followed the regedit step and then followed the create a new key (since storagedevicepolicies was nowhere to be seen).
And now instead of solving the problem, it made it worse, now my PC doesnt even wann read any sd card anymore, it just doesnt do anything if ya put one in (only for sd, usb and such work fine)

I know this sd card problem is a bit off topic since sd cards are only a small portion of dashcam talk, but im hoping anyone here has ever come acros this kind of thing and knows how to solve it ? :)

Thnx for reading :)

Try a USB to SD card reader
Try formatting it with a different utility
Try testing it with H2testw

If I understand correctly, you can't write to it when it's in your computer, but it works fine in your tablet? Is this a micro SD card that goes directly into your tablet, but you use a micro SD to SD adapter to fit it into your computer? If so, maybe the write protect slide is set on the adapter. Look carefully at the left side of the adapter to see how the slide is positioned.

I also think it’s the tab in the micro SD adapter that’s missing that will make the card write protected, had one or two of these tab’s fall out on a few of my micro SD adapters and SD cards (meant I couldn't use the SD cards at all for recording

This adapter has the tab

as has this one

but not this one

The write protect on the sd itself is not the problem im sure of it, i borrowed a few micro sd cards + their adapter card and put it in my pc. All of them came up as write protected in my pc and not in their pc.
Also normal sd (not micro in adapter) comes up write protected.
So i figured it had to be somewhere in my computer, thats why i started looking for solutions but after trying what i wrote in my first post in the link my pc doesnt even read any card anymore, it acts as if its not there, so the link actually made it worse not better :-(
Just thought i'd try here, perhaps anyone ever had it before and fixed it before i throw my pc over to a tech shop (becuz boy they ask 50 eur just to look at it without fixing it P)

I don't know if it's of any help but some computers, especially laptops, have a mechanism that slides the tab to Lock when you insert the adapter. My Dell laptop does it but I used the same adapter on some Asus and Acers and the card wasn't write protected.

Well problem for the most part solved.

I reinstalled my windows just to make sure any register errors were gone after i followed the link in my first post's instructions. Then i tried again and it once again reads sd card and micro sd in sd adapter. However it still refused to write anything on or format the micro sd in the adapter, the weird part however was that i could write and format a normal size sd card.
So itried my micro sd in anotheradapter and another and another, but no luck. I tried an micro sd from a friend in his adapter no uck again. And then.... here comes the part where i bonk my head against the wall over and over, i discover my pc has a micro sd slot no adapter required, i put it in and bingo i can format and write on it. For some reason my pc doesnt like adapters, none of them, even tho they the same saize as aregular sd card and he has no problem with regular ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Since a normal size sd card can be formatted and written upon in the normal size sd slot and the micro sd card can be formatted or written upon in the micro sd slot in the pc BUT if you put the micro sd in its (or any other) adapter and put it in the normal size sd slot in the pc then it will say write protected aand cannot be formatted or written up. So i come to think there is a problem with my pc (well its sd card reader prolly) that it only accepts big sd in big sd slot and micro in micro slot but not micro in adapter in big size slot for writing on it for some very odd reason.

Anyway i can use it now as long as i dont use the adapter, but i find it very odd :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway i can use it now as long as i dont use the adapter, but i find it very odd :)
If you think of it, it's not. If the computer has both card readers it means the SD slot is not a multi-reader slot and, as you know, a micro SD card on an adapter is still a micro SD card. ;)

If you think of it, it's not. If the computer has both card readers it means the SD slot is not a multi-reader slot and, as you know, a micro SD card on an adapter is still a micro SD card. ;)

Hmm, that actually makes sense. Im not a computer wiz (as you clearly noticed) so i didnt actually know that a micro sd in an adapter was still a micro sd for my sd reader. But that ofcourse explains it why the computer says shoo go away, go in the small slot P

I blame my poor pc harware skills, dark living room (Always do this in the evening normally) and the sd reader being all the way at bottom of my pc that i never noticed the smaller slot next to it :confused:

I can only hope this topic will someday help another "dummy" like me that is confronted with the same problem :D

This laptop from 3 years ago has a SD slot and would probably accept a micro SD with adaptors.

It runs win 7 ultimate sweetly.

This laptop from 3 years ago has a SD slot and would probably accept a micro SD with adaptors.

It runs win 7 ultimate sweetly.
If it's the only slot it has usually it's a multi card reader, so yes.

Back