New 0805 couple of questions

Paul E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi . Early in April I purchased a new 0805 from Amazon / EPrance, arrived promptly and has been working fine, however now I've had it a while I have some questions -
1. Intermittently, not all the time, when recording in the car, it makes a faint regular "tick" noise, like the sound it makes when you press up and down keys to select between menu options. This happens even though we're not pressing any keys! Camera is powered up and recording from a GPS mount.
2. It does not work and will not start up unless connected to USB power, either in the car or when connected to computer. When it is not connected and I press the power button, should it start up? It does not... Defective battery? Would a defective battery cause the faint ticking sound? It's been in the car powered up for ages so internal battery should have charged by now.
3. If I want it permanently on (e.g. parking mode) I need to feed it through a gadget that stops it flattening my battery. Was thinking of a Lukas LK290 which are well reviewed. Any other suggestions?
All help and suggestions appreciated.

Paul

1) you probably have it on motion detect mode. it makes a sound at every start/stop of a recording

2) if the battery is sufficiently charged, it will power on without a connection. you have to hold down on the power button until it starts up. if the LED is red, it's charging.

3) I do not have the mini hard-wired for parking mode but I can whole-heartedly recommend the PANOBDP which my panorama X1 is hardwired to. it's been very reliable.

Last edited:
Hi, many thanks for that - have checked, and I did have it in motion detect mode, I've turned it off temporarily so I can see if that stops the noise.
If it does, then I have a choice to make since I did really want the parking mode, which I understand needs motion detect to be on.
Will check out the PANOBDP, thanks for that.
Actually I have realised that I need to understand more about when the 0805 uses motion detect mode.
I had thought it was only active when the vehicle was stopped, but I need to understand exactly how this works - for example how (if at all) does it tell "stopped in traffic" from "stopped and parked"?
Thanks again
Paul

the mini uses MD when you have it set to that. it doesn't matter whether or not your car is in motion. it's on always record if it's set to that. it will not automatically switch modes without your input.

I have mine set to motion detect because I trust it enough to record continuously when I'm driving. there have been no gaps unless I'm stationary in traffic with all other cars around me stopped as well. as soon as I set off, it detects motion in the frame and starts to record again. I still don't trust it to record a full sequence when it's paused but a very fast moving vehicle enters the frame. in this situation, MD may not start a recording until the moving object is halfway through the frame.

*I think I just convinced myself to switch it back to always mode. :)

Hey Abarth, many thanks for this - you seem to know a lot about it...the supplied instructions are not great, is there a FAQ or something that gives all this extra info?
I think I want mine in MD mode also.

Paul

I have a problem where the file size goes to like 20K....and it misses time......Sometimes it records the normal 5 minutes......then switches to where it's recording like 20 seconds and creates a new file

Tried to upload a .jpg screenshot.......but it says that's not an accepted file type.........

z

MD was on. I turned it off and will see if that helps. I know when I first got the camera it was recording 5 minute segments........and then it changed....

Another issue is I set the Auto Off to 5 minutes..........but it always turns off in like 20 seconds or so

Maybe that is related to MD also............

z

Hey Abarth, many thanks for this - you seem to know a lot about it...the supplied instructions are not great, is there a FAQ or something that gives all this extra info?
I think I want mine in MD mode also.

Paul

I previously had the mini 0801 so I have a couple years of experience with the minis.

and just to be clear, I was trying to persuade you to not use MD mode as it's not going to be as reliable as normal mode where it records all the time when powered. :)

MD was on. I turned it off and will see if that helps. I know when I first got the camera it was recording 5 minute segments........and then it changed....

Another issue is I set the Auto Off to 5 minutes..........but it always turns off in like 20 seconds or so

Maybe that is related to MD also............

z

leave MD off it will work better, if you must use it you need to disable the auto off function otherwise the camera will power down during periods of inactivity

Back