New 0806 owner with questions

Ray1968

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mini 0806
Hey all. Newbie here...

Just picked up a Mini 0806 from amazon and have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

1) Will the unit charge while hooked up to my computer via the USB cable?

2) When the unit is hooked up to my computer via USB the screen is blue with "USB Connecting..." on it and never changes. Is this normal?

3) I briefly hooked the camera up in my vehicle and recorded two short clips. One is 11 seconds, the other 3 seconds. I copied both files to my computer and when I look at the properties, it shows both clips as being exactly 20 megs in size. Is this normal?

4) The sticky tape for mounting has a red side and a white side. Does it matter which side goes to the windshield?

I guess that's all I have for now. I'm currently using the little 8 gig card that came with the cam, but I have a 64 gig SanDisk Ultra coming in tomorrow from amazon. I wouldn't have ordered the SanDisk had I read these forums first. I'll format in FAT32 and hope for the best...

Thanks for any help.

1. I think so, though it also charges while you use it with the power cord in your car
2. yes. I can't personally think of a reason why you would need to do that as you can take out the SD card and read it via a uSD card reader.
3. I have to admit, I never really looked at the file sizes so I can not tell you for sure if they all will be the same size (as you define how many minutes to record in each file).
4. Both sides are stick. Just make sure you peel the covers off both sides.

As you read here, be aware that this unit is quite sensitive to the card in use and if it does not like the card, you will hear three beeps and it will stop recording. Everybody here has had different experiences with Sandisk and Samsung EVO - neither worked for me in the unit though both cards worked fine for everything else. Some will suggest reformatting in various ways. Check out the various opinions in the posts below. We all pretty much agree that the Samsung Pro Plus (which is different from the EVO) works flawlessly. That is what I have.

Also there are various opinions about the GPS unit. If you decide to use it to record the time/speed/location onto your video, be aware that the unit will take a certain amount of time to 'lock' onto the satellites - perhaps 3 to 5 minutes (though sometimes on the same day it could instantaneous). Under that situation, the green light will blink. When it locks the green light goes solid. Some get different results based on which of the two power connectors they use (GPS unit or 0806) - I personally found no difference.

If you ever get a continuous beep which makes it seem like everything is frozen and it refuses to do anything - hold the power button in for 30 to 60 secs or so and the unit will eventually turn off.

Hey all. Newbie here...

Just picked up a Mini 0806 from amazon and have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

1) Will the unit charge while hooked up to my computer via the USB cable?

2) When the unit is hooked up to my computer via USB the screen is blue with "USB Connecting..." on it and never changes. Is this normal?

3) I briefly hooked the camera up in my vehicle and recorded two short clips. One is 11 seconds, the other 3 seconds. I copied both files to my computer and when I look at the properties, it shows both clips as being exactly 20 megs in size. Is this normal?

4) The sticky tape for mounting has a red side and a white side. Does it matter which side goes to the windshield?

I guess that's all I have for now. I'm currently using the little 8 gig card that came with the cam, but I have a 64 gig SanDisk Ultra coming in tomorrow from amazon. I wouldn't have ordered the SanDisk had I read these forums first. I'll format in FAT32 and hope for the best...

Thanks for any help.
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) No
5) You better format your 64 gb sd card in ExFAT. Just do and you will find out. But do any format in computer, not in camera. Format 64 Gb in 0806 may brick your 0806 ( as the last test I did )

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll get the cam installed this weekend and will probably be back with more questions...

Thanks again.

the file size is limited to 20MB MIN in Ambarella

Back