New and in need of some advice :)

DJRoomba

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello all,
I just took delivery of a dash cam from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B00E9OGLGK
I sort of dove in head-first without doing much research. My camera's power terminates in three loose wires (a red, black, and yellow). I know you can use an add-a-circuit to wire it into the fuse box, but which wire should be put into the add-a-circuit?
If anyone has the slightest clue, I'd greatly appreciate the help!

Last edited:
That, I'm sorry to say, appears to be a sort of 'Mini 0801' knock-off and not a very good one at that. With such a low price it will come with a very cheap chipset/sensor regardless of the sellers claims. Nearly half of those leaving feedback have given it 2 stars or less (10 out of 43 have given it 1 star).:(

Personally I wouldn't bother wiring it up, there's a very real chance you'll be wasting your time and money by doing that. I would, however, recommend you return it via Amazon for a refund & buy yourself something better. There are some good little budget cams out there - see the Dash Cam Comparison page for some Best Buys.:cool:

I sincerely apologise for being so negative on your first post on DCT. Hope you can find something better.;)

Last edited:
Maybe read the instructions?

If it doesn't come with usable instructions then that should tell you to follow Hilts advice!

It's probably black to ground (0V) red to +V and yellow to video display. But that is a guess and +V could require 5volts or 12volts and giving it the wrong amount may blow it up!

Thanks for the advice, even though it's not what I had hoped for! I'm looking into returning it now - looking forward to getting something reliable instead.

Maybe read the instructions?

If it doesn't come with usable instructions then that should tell you to follow Hilts advice!

It's probably black to ground (0V) red to +V and yellow to video display. But that is a guess and +V could require 5volts or 12volts and giving it the wrong amount may blow it up!

The instructions were Chinese only, otherwise I wouldn't have taken to the internet :)
It comes with a yellow component cable, as well as the three wires. Someone else mentioned it might be black:ground; red:constant power; yellow:eek:n/off power (like lights). Either way, hopefully the seller will take it back

Thanks for the advice, even though it's not what I had hoped for! I'm looking into returning it now - looking forward to getting something reliable instead.
I suspect you would have been very disappointed if you'd installed it. Let us know what you decide to go for.

That looks like the old school Smallest HD 720p. I wouldn't even want a real one, much less a knock off. Also I wouldn't buy any of the Pattern names on that page either.

There are some sellers from Canada here you could probably get in touch with.

Update: the Amazon seller has decided to refund my money, since the cables are supposed to terminate into something useful (not just hang loose). So, I have a free (terrible) camera to play with. Now off to peruse the forums and find a good one.

Update 2: Just bought a G1W from CalgaryDashCam.com

Last edited:
Back