New car, need new dash cam - Vantrue E2 vs ROVE R2-4K PRO vs VIOFO A119 Mini 2

ChiChick

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, long time lurker, new member. I just purchased a new car and need a new dash cam. With the current Prime Day sales, I thought it would be a good time to buy one of their deals. I originally wanted front and rear cameras, but that's a bit out of my budget, even with the sale prices. I just want decent video quality and wifi capabilities. I've narrowed it down to:

Vantrue E2 (has 2 cameras, top of my budget, $154)
ROVE R2-4K PRO (no rear camera and currently out of stock, $90)
VIOFO A119 Mini 2 (seems to be the most updated option, but no rear camera, $110)

Which one would you choose? Or am I missing a contender in my budget (trying to stay around $150 or below)?

That Rove R2 4K Pro has an IMX 335 sensor and it can't do 4K. So you you can't buy from a producer with false/fake statement.

The other 2 dashcams are both from reputable manufacturers with very good support and they are active on this forum.

Mini 2 it's knew arrived and it has a new generation of Sony Starvis sensor, Starvis 2.
It has overall better video quality than E2 and it has HDR, wich provides you more chances to read some license plates in night time footage.

If you need dual channel, can't go wrong with the Vantrue E2. If you only need single channel (front facing), go with the Viofo A119 Mini 2.

If you need dual channel, can't go wrong with the Vantrue E2. If you only need single channel (front facing), go with the Viofo A119 Mini 2.
Are there any guides that explain when you need/want a front and rear dash cam vs just front dash cam?

In 10+ years the bulk, and thats like 98% of the footage i have taken from my dashcams, and i have for many years had both rear and side cameras too.
Well the front camera is where i get my footage, even if i have been rear ended 2 times and none of them was captured on video, but it was not needed, even the last time when i was hit while parked, after the timer i use had kicked in so no camera recording, but fortunately there was a little old lady that took the plate of the offender that of course just left.

The front camera 100% record all you do with your car in relation to a lot of things like lights / signs and curbs / lane markings, this will often be enough to disprove outrageous claims against you.

Mind you a rear camera are a bigger deal in the US as often the cars will just have a plate in the back of the car, so any oncoming car that do something stupid, well your front camera will just capture make / model, but a rear camera would at least have a chance of a plate capture when the oncoming car get back there.

I have owned cars for 40 years now, but i have only experienced those 2 rear endings, first time camera did not work due to poor power source and me being lazy / stupid, second time due to me using 1 hour cut off timer on parking guard, and my car get hit after being parked for 2 hours,,,,, i now use 3 hours on the parking guard timer.
So ! it is still pretty rare i have ever needed a rear camera in the great perspective of things.

BTW that first time, well i stopped for a girl wanting to cross a marked pedestrian crossing, like the law say i must in that situation, the car behind me also stopped just fine, but the next car the big Nissan 4X4, well the guy in there was on the phone or something so he just plowed into the car in front of him, shunting it into me.
NP though the guy took blame just fine.
Anyways my working front camera had me doing what the law say, so no one would have been able to claim brake checking or something else stupid to save their own ass.

As mentioned you can always add a #2 camera in the back, the only downside is you have to go to 2 places to get memory cards, but if you are not sharing too much / getting into too many crashes, that should be rare you need to go there.

Last edited:
Back