New comer, basic question

French_guy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve been thinking about a “dash cam” in my car for multiple reasons (hit and run, fight a traffic ticket, etc…)
I thought I could maybe implement a small computer (Brix, NUC or equivalent, or a Raspberry based platform) with a webcam
Then searching the net, I saw this forum…Very nice
But now I have some questions, especially one: what is this “supercap” or “capacitor” thing vs battery? Why a cam couldn’t be powered by the car itself (USB outlet for example)?
Is a regular dash cam a stand alone unit, that records and save on an internal memory or memoy card, that you backup every day?
Thanks

They are powered by the car, the battery or capacitor is just for file save and shutdown when the power is cut

Capacitors are safer in warm weather than batteries are

They save to internal memory

Is a regular dash cam a stand alone unit, that records and save on an internal memory or memoy card, that you backup every day?
Just about every purpose built DashCam does this. The Mini 0801 and 0803 can come with decent sized internal memory, but most cameras need either a Micro SD or full sized SD card

You don't have to back up a camera every day. It will record and once the card is full it will record over the oldest footage on the card it self and loop over. You only need to take the card out if you want to transfer a file on to a computer to watch back or store.

The aim is to buy a decent camera set it up and forget about it unless you want to review footage and it is always a good idea to format the memory card once in awhile (month or two apart) to sort of refresh it

They are powered by the car, the battery or capacitor is just for file save and shutdown when the power is cut

Capacitors are safer in warm weather than batteries are

They save to internal memory
So the battery or capacitor is a backup - for short period of times - when the car is not running?

@Gabacho: thanks

Is the Panorama X1 available in the US? Seems to be highly recommended in this forum

I was asking about that as well. @Pier28 a well known seller on this forum is taking orders for those now I believe. You will find him to be a very knowledgeable and honest guy. Absolutely over the top customer service and products! He is located in San Francisco. I have purchased from him and shipping is almost immediate!! His website:http://Shop.Pier28.com

I’ve been thinking about a “dash cam” in my car for multiple reasons (hit and run, fight a traffic ticket, etc…)
I thought I could maybe implement a small computer (Brix, NUC or equivalent, or a Raspberry based platform) with a webcam
Then searching the net, I saw this forum…Very nice
But now I have some questions, especially one: what is this “supercap” or “capacitor” thing vs battery? Why a cam couldn’t be powered by the car itself (USB outlet for example)?
Thanks

Here is good article for new-comer

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...mation-i-think-i-have-right.9676/#post-119971

Last edited by a moderator:
Back