New Dash Cam

DeadEnd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

Just picked up the SG9665GC from Pier28 via Amazon. Never had a cam before but due to an accident last week that will probably be ruled my fault (other driver drove off), I was inclined to purchase one for any future incidences that may occur. I was curious, the manual states that the date and time is via GPS. Does that mean the GPS need to be installed? I was not planning to install the GPS but wanted to still have date and time on the recordings.

Thanks!

Without the GPS you will have to set the date/time manually. The GC has an internal button battery to maintain it when the camera is not powered. Whether you have it in the recorded video is an option in the menu system and will work with or without the GPS.

Welcome to DCT @DeadEnd You can use it without the GPS and it will still show on the recordings. Set the current GMT, date and time via the menu selections. Nice selection for your first DashCam!

Welcome to the GC club

You can manually set the date time in the settings menu or you can temporarily plug in GPS to sync date and time then unplug after the GPS signal is green. Just be sure to set the time zone correctly. -8 is west coast -5 is east coast.

Thank you! I missed the hitting the menu button twice so could not figure out where to put the date in. I saw a lot of the videos and this seemed to be the best as far as clarity and night videos. I thought it best to get something that worked well instead of buying something less expensive and getting discouraged...

Just picked up the SG9665GC from Pier28 via Amazon. Never had a cam before but due to an accident last week that will probably be ruled my fault (other driver drove off), I was inclined to purchase one for any future incidences that may occur.
unfortunately an all too common occurrence. people mainly leave it until its too late to get one.

Welcome to the GC club

You can manually set the date time in the settings menu or you can temporarily plug in GPS to sync date and time then unplug after the GPS signal is green. Just be sure to set the time zone correctly. -8 is west coast -5 is east coast.

-7 for daylight savings time on west coast

Thanks, everyone. guessing central is GMT -6, not sure if that would matter without the GPS though. Never really thought I would need a cam but after thinking back, I did have a lot of close calls from other drivers these past few years. People are getting worse at driving now that they are paying more attention to their gadgets (both car and smartphone) than the road.

Central is -6 or -5 depending which 6 months of the year we are in.

Yes once you have a DashCam installed you feel naked driving without one

Thanks, everyone. guessing central is GMT -6, not sure if that would matter without the GPS though. Never really thought I would need a cam but after thinking back, I did have a lot of close calls from other drivers these past few years. People are getting worse at driving now that they are paying more attention to their gadgets (both car and smartphone) than the road.

Similar to me...had lots of near misses, and recently started a new job meaning I'll be driving almost 20,000 miles a year, so thought it was a good idea to get a dash cam. Luckily I've never had a crash, but you never know whats around the corner! Like the other day...a motorcyclist decided to squeeze between me and an oncoming car! Makes me angry when other people put themselves in dangerous situations. Had we collided, he'd be the first to complain...well, actually he wouldn't, because he would've been dead, but then I'd be under investigation by the police for dangerous driving, luckily my camera caught enough to prove the bike was in the wrong.

Funny a few weeks ago I had something similar, two lane road and oncoming traffic was backed up due to construction. A motorcyclist was too important to wait so he speed down oncoming traffic for about a mile head-on at me and I had to swerve for that. I was actually torn, for a minute I actually thought about hitting him... I can't believe people.

I ordered one last night, from Amazon. Thanks to Amazon prime, it was delivered free in one day, and came today. I wont have a chance to open it until tonight, when I get home.

Like you, I was in an accident this week. The person who hit me was texting and driving, and she denied hitting me and said that my damage was already there. (new car) She tried to leave, but I convinced her to wait for the police and the police were fortunately able to get her to admit it.

I want to be protected by a camera in the future. It's a shame that it doesnt have a dual cam, but maybe I'll get a cheaper model just for looking backwards and keep the quality one for looking forward. My cars have been rear ended (at stop lights) four times in the past ten years, by texting and driving zombies. :(

Just signed up for the forum today, and look forward to reading the wealth of info that is here.

Rhody

I ordered one last night, from Amazon. Thanks to Amazon prime, it was delivered free in one day, and came today. I wont have a chance to open it until tonight, when I get home.

Like you, I was in an accident this week. The person who hit me was texting and driving, and she denied hitting me and said that my damage was already there. (new car) She tried to leave, but I convinced her to wait for the police and the police were fortunately able to get her to admit it.

I want to be protected by a camera in the future. It's a shame that it doesnt have a dual cam, but maybe I'll get a cheaper model just for looking backwards and keep the quality one for looking forward. My cars have been rear ended (at stop lights) four times in the past ten years, by texting and driving zombies. :(

Just signed up for the forum today, and look forward to reading the wealth of info that is here.

Rhody
I was thinking about a rear cam too, just not sure what direction to go. Should I buy another SG9665GC, a cheaper model like the Blackvue DR3500 (I like the size for the rear) or wait for a 2 channel model similar to the Thinkware F770 (I like the size, shape and features but hesitant to buy since it's new and reliability and clarity may not be that good as good). If I go two channel, I'll give SG9665GC to my parents, they would appreciate that.

I was thinking about a rear cam too, just not sure what direction to go. Should I buy another SG9665GC, a cheaper model like the Blackvue DR3500 (I like the size for the rear) or wait for a 2 channel model similar to the Thinkware F770 (I like the size, shape and features but hesitant to buy since it's new and reliability and clarity may not be that good as good). If I go two channel, I'll give SG9665GC to my parents, they would appreciate that.
or you can spent 100$ more to buy mobius as your rear cam. it's a reliable capacitor cam and image quality is far better than any rear of dual cam on the market.

I was thinking about a rear cam too, just not sure what direction to go. Should I buy another SG9665GC, a cheaper model like the Blackvue DR3500 (I like the size for the rear)
keep away from them blackspews, over priced, no support. get a Mobius as suggested. far better in every way.

yet another one who leaves it until its too late. do you have car insurance? yes? why not have a cam as well? you don't need either of them until you actually need them. a cam is cheaper than insurance as well.

indeed. I just opened the package up, and can't wait to put it in the vehicle :) I have been on the fence for about a year, shopping around to get one, but this was the incentive needed to do so. When that woman hit me then denied it to my face, it made the decision very easy. Of course, I took a smartphone picture of her car still connected to my damage, too.

So is the Mobius better than the another SG9665GC or maybe even the SGZC12RC v2 for the rear?

So is the Mobius better than the another SG9665GC or maybe even the SGZC12RC v2 for the rear?
depends what you want from the camera? if you are waiting for the new dual cam to come out, then yes, if its a permanent camera you want to keep for a long time, probably no, get another SG9665GC or RC.

Back