New Firmware for 808 #18 DR32

Mtz said:
So your request is that camera continuously record when setup the camera?
But this can be impossible in some situations, for example changing the resolution will restart the recording.

OK, so you found the one example where it would be acceptable to interrupt the video stream. But even in that situation, the behavior I would expect would be for the camera to continue recording at the old resolution until I exit the menu function. Then start a new recording. I don't understand why there should be any interruption at all for things like changing the exposure compensation or beep volume.

So this would be my wish list for the next version of firmware, if there is one (in order of priority):

1. Fix the freeze up problem for the people who are experiencing it.
2. Display the currently installed firmware revision -- both as the product is booting up and again as an "Info" menu item in setup.
3. Enable debugging -- preferably through a setup menu item.
4. Fix the color comet/streaking/bleeding problem.
5. Continue recording through menu adjustments.
6. Allow user selectable microphone gain level.
7. Flip video for optional inverted operation.
8. Allow user to choose location of the time stamp.
9. Northern mentioned digital image stabilization.

I suspect that last one would be a lot of work to implement if it's even possible at all. The cam is probably already working at the limit of its CPU capability without overheating. Part of the reason I think this is that the audio is uncompressed PCM instead of MP3. If there were really a lot of unused CPU power left over, they might have tried to compress the audio in real time. Perhaps they tested it and discovered A/V sync problems when they did.

For #4 I suspect that the solution might involve increasing the number of I frames, which will increase the file sizes. If I had to chose between slightly improved video quality vs slightly smaller file sizes, I think I would go with the smaller file sizes. But that's just me. The color comets are pretty subtle, and I can probably live with them. Perhaps the user should be allowed to chose in setup?

10. Fix auto exposure.

I think the problem is that the metering in this cam is a bit too responsive to changes in light. Whatever window (of however many seconds) over which the average light value is being taken, it needs to be increased. Likewise, I would like for the metering to ignore (or down-weight) the top half of the screen. I can somewhat lessen the severity if I aim the cam downwards so I see more of my car hood, but the problem is still there. Plus my car hood is not interesting.

The Hetai representative's suggestion to Techmoan to increase the exposure compensation to +1 to combat the exposure hunting problem makes little if any sense. The camera already seems to overexpose more frequently than not. In fact I find, to the contrary, that I like keeping my camera permanently at -2 ev compensation. I get more pleasing cloud detail and I see less dirt on my windshield without compromising what I can see on the road. At night time, the -2 seems to give a bit less snowy noise. It may be worth noting that 1 ev does not seem to correspond to an entire "stop of light" as on a DSLR. Rather, I'd estimate it to be about 1/3 ev. So the difference is only subtle. A true -2 ev would make for a very dark exposure indeed.

Firmware update gone wrong

Hi folks, long time lurker here. I recently took the plunge and purchased a DR32 from powerdigital898. I noticed I had the audio distortion issue on my video files so decided to update the firmware via the instructions in this thread. Now my menu is a complete mess of mixed up items, so I'm unable to change settings or really use the cam.

Here is what I did:

I downloaded the latest firmware here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/542 ... pgrade.rar

Followed the instructions of placing the DR_32.BRN firmware file in the root of my SD card.
I went to the play menu and held the menu+up arrow and it stated it was installing the firmware.
Once it was complete it asked me to press the reset button.
It then restarted and looked normal until I went into the menu...

Now my menu is all screwed up and doesn't have the correct items listed. I tried a different SD card, downloaded the firmware again to no avail.

Here is a screenshot to show you how the menu is showing odd items all over the place.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any clue as to what I can do to remedy this?

Thanks for any assistance!

Segstro

Attachments

• dr32 gone wrong.JPG
    dr32 gone wrong.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 608
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I did try that and still the same unfortunately. Anyone have access to the older firmware file?

jokiin said:
if there's a reset settings option in the menu have you tried that?

Re: Firmware update gone wrong

Oh my. Looks like I found an interesting file which is the firmware for the Patiot. And get this... it fixed my DR32! It also turned it into a Patiot!

You will find the firmware here:
http://www.patriot.com.tw/download/F3_FW0218.rar

Once installed you will need to change the language to english of course.

It's from February and is much larger than the DR32 firmware (6,401,392 vs . 4,259,840)
I haven't discovered what is different yet, but all the menu items seem the same. Need to do some audio and video tests to see if the clipping is there.

Segstro

Attachments

• dr32asPatriot.jpg
    dr32asPatriot.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 605
I also came across that, I haven't tried it but will be interesting to see what the differences are, keep us informed !

Hoping it does a much better job of cleaning up the crap audio.
The new firmware has improved the noise considerably but it is still a long way from being acceptable.

I actually took the plunge and flashed my DR32 with the parrot firmware a few days back. All is working well but the clipping is still there.

Another thing you should all know is that i have not been able to flash back to the dr32 firmware. Every time I try, my menus look jumbled just like segstro's did.

My best guess for this is that the dr32 firmware posted on this forum is just an update, not a complete image. That would explain the drastic size difference between the two firmwares.

Hope somebody could post a complete firmware file for the dr32 or tell of a way to restore it to its original state.

Re: Firmware update gone wrong

segstro said:
Hi folks, long time lurker here. I recently took the plunge and purchased a DR32 from powerdigital898. I noticed I had the audio distortion issue on my video files so decided to update the firmware via the instructions in this thread. Now my menu is a complete mess of mixed up items, so I'm unable to change settings or really use the cam.

Here is what I did:

I downloaded the latest firmware here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/542 ... pgrade.rar

Followed the instructions of placing the DR_32.BRN firmware file in the root of my SD card.
I went to the play menu and held the menu+up arrow and it stated it was installing the firmware.
Once it was complete it asked me to press the reset button.
It then restarted and looked normal until I went into the menu...

Now my menu is all screwed up and doesn't have the correct items listed. I tried a different SD card, downloaded the firmware again to no avail.

Here is a screenshot to show you how the menu is showing odd items all over the place.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any clue as to what I can do to remedy this?

Thanks for any assistance!

Segstro

Sadly I find myself in the exact same situation. Upgraded firmware as you did and now the menus are all messed up. I'm guessing most everybody else has normal menus since this complaint is only here once?

Now my brand new $140 camera is crippled. To those considering purchasing this camera, it's a mess, I'd look elsewhere. These crappy Asian dashcams are not ready for primetime yet.

jokiin said:
Where did you get the firmware from?

I downloaded the firmware from the 808 FAQ:

http://dashcamtalk.com/dr32/#Latest_Firmware

If a mod is reading this, please update the FAQ to include the possibility that the firmware update may cripple your menus. I was willing to take the risk of the camera freezing every so often but had I known that my menu would be corrupted I never would have attempted a firmware update.

At this point I'm tempted to try the Patriot firmware but it's unsettling to think I may not ever be able to go back to the original firmware if I do that.

Like the other poster I purchased the cam from powerdigital898.

Anybody have any tips?

megapixle said:
Anybody have any tips?

ask the seller for a copy of the firmware I guess, personally I'd only use firmware supplied through the vendor as there's no way of knowing if your camera is identical or not

If the powerdigital898 cameras have this issue then at least we have somewhere to start. I haven't given my rating on my ebay purchase yet, so I'll contact powerdigital898 and see what they can do.

megapixle said:
jokiin said:
Where did you get the firmware from?

I downloaded the firmware from the 808 FAQ:

http://dashcamtalk.com/dr32/#Latest_Firmware

If a mod is reading this, please update the FAQ to include the possibility that the firmware update may cripple your menus. I was willing to take the risk of the camera freezing every so often but had I known that my menu would be corrupted I never would have attempted a firmware update.

At this point I'm tempted to try the Patriot firmware but it's unsettling to think I may not ever be able to go back to the original firmware if I do that.

Like the other poster I purchased the cam from powerdigital898.

Anybody have any tips?

I contacted powerdigital898 and also sent an email to Hetai, I'll report back if I hear anything useful.

segstro said:
If the powerdigital898 cameras have this issue then at least we have somewhere to start. I haven't given my rating on my ebay purchase yet, so I'll contact powerdigital898 and see what they can do.

Have you experienced any negative side effects with the Patriot firmware? Any difficulties switching the language to English?

If I don't hear back from Hetai or powerdigital in the next day or two I guess I'll have to try the Patriot FW.

Here is the official firmware update (and is the latest at the time of posting as far as I am aware) for the DR32 as sent to me from Hetai, it is dated 22nd Jan 2013 and was sent to me on the 10th May 2013, I've already extracted it and is likely the same as others posted on this forum ..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9w30owt7j7ov6v4/DR_32.BRN

These are the instructions to install the firmware ..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqzf6ll135ng6 ... update.txt

.. and for good measure here is the official DR32 manual ..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wihvq169ybq0 ... Manual.pdf

Northernlanes said:
Here is the official firmware update (and is the latest at the time of posting as far as I am aware) for the DR32 as sent to me from Hetai, it is dated 22nd Jan 2013 and was sent to me on the 10th May 2013, I've already extracted it and is likely the same as others posted on this forum ..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9w30owt7j7ov6v4/DR_32.BRN

These are the instructions to install the firmware ..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqzf6ll135ng6 ... update.txt

.. and for good measure here is the official DR32 manual ..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wihvq169ybq0 ... Manual.pdf

Thanks for posting. That file has the exact same size as the one others have posted so I think it is the same.

I did not hear back from the ebay seller or from Hetai so I went ahead and installed the Patriot firmware and my menus are indeed fixed now. Unfortunately I still have audio issues as I originally did but at least the camera is back to being usable now. Hopefully Hetai or Patriot will post one more firmware update that fixes all issues.

Back