New Firmware (v1.2)

You can use the reset button with a paper clip as you're powering on the camera, but that won't revert you back to the original firmware. That will just wipe your settings.
The reset button does not wipe out any settings, it simply power cycles the camera.

Sorry I misunderstood.. You can find the original on the polish website..
http://www.viofo.pl/oprogramowanie.php
We shouldn't jump through so many hoops to find the firmware.

I think I figured out what #3 on the changelog means.

"Clicking a button during a blanked screen does not perform the function assigned to the button but turns the screen on."

We shouldn't jump through so many hoops to find the firmware.

I think I figured out what #3 on the changelog means.

"Clicking a button during a blanked screen does not perform the function assigned to the button but turns the screen on."

Hmm, so we have to hit the middle button twice now to save the current video file?

Hmm, so we have to hit the middle button twice now to save the current video file?
Seems like it. Which is a problem.

It should be:

All buttons turn on screen if the screen is turned off, but does not perform the function assigned. Emergency button (middle button) should still turn on the screen and perform the locking of the file.

@VIOFO_Support Can you confirm this is true?

You can use the reset button with a paper clip as you're powering on the camera, but that won't revert you back to the original firmware. That will just wipe your settings.

Yeah, that's not going to reset to previous firmware. @viofo should make the original firmware available.

3. Changed: First click the last button to wake up the screen while in screen save and duo camera recording.
Not sure what is meant by "the last button" in #3 of the change log.
It should be: All buttons turn on screen if the screen is turned off, but does not perform the function assigned. Emergency button (middle button) should still turn on the screen and perform the locking of the file.
Deja vu - the way the A119 originally worked. But do you really want to have to press a button twice to perform an action while driving, such as taking a photo or turning the mic on or off? I don't need to look at the screen while driving, just listen for the button action confirmation sounds. However, you do need one of the buttons to turn on the screen - on the A119 it is a short press of the power button.

Last edited:
anyone update FW yet and report that the A129 operated OK without any problems?

Been running it since yesterday with no issues so far.. It will wipe out your settings though so you'll have to set everything up again properly..

Been running it since yesterday with no issues so far.. It will wipe out your settings though so you'll have to set everything up again properly..
I took the plunge today and loaded it up... here we go.

Lack of a separate power button is turning into a clusterf***
why would Vi\ofo do such a thing I thought engineers think stuff out carefully before releasing stuff to the public. no button for power on and off and wake-up... its like a car without a steering wheel. lol

Seems like it. Which is a problem.

It should be:

All buttons turn on screen if the screen is turned off, but does not perform the function assigned. Emergency button (middle button) should still turn on the screen and perform the locking of the file.

@VIOFO_Support Can you confirm this is true?

Emergency button (middle) unlocks the screen and locks the file.. I tried it out earlier..

Steps are right on the download page: http://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000087812-viofo-a129-dash-cam-firmware

How to update:

Please do the following to upgrade the dash cam
The firmware will be automatically deleted from Micro SD card after upgrade completed.
  1. Use a memory card (recommend 16GB-128GB memory card) formatted by camera or on computer as FAT32
  2. Insert card in camera and connect it to computer using USB cable
  3. Copy the FWA129.bin on the root of the card
  4. After FWA129.bin is copied to the card disconnect the camera from computer
  5. Reconnect the camera to your computer and wait few seconds until the camera restart.
The front red LED will be blinking while upgrading.

Dumb question. Why do I have to connect the cam to a computer? Can't I just

1) Copy the bin file to the SD card root
2) Insert the SD card to the cam
3) Turn on the cam

?

3) Turn on the cam

?
good question I would like to know as well....

good question I would like to know as well....
You can do that as well, those were just offered up by viofo. Get the .bin file on the root of an SD card, pop it in and turn on the camera, that will do it.

Emergency button (middle) unlocks the screen and locks the file.. I tried it out earlier..

Just to clarify, you mean 1 click to the button will do the job, correct?

Just to clarify, you mean 1 click to the button will do the job, correct?
The emergency button behavior is not changed.

Before while the camera is in standy mode, the fifth button will wake up the screen and change the live view of front and rear camera.
Now first click will wake up the screen first, then second click will change the display live show.

3) Turn on the cam

?
Yes, that's right. This is what I do everyday.

We will support upgrade on APP via Wi-Fi soon.

Back