New FW 1.13: your thoughts / preferred settings

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I've installed 1.13 fw with many toggles, CHECK it out!!! Download and install, and let us know your thoughts.

I find vivid color / auto WB / sharpness +128 (need to read that plate, right!)/ exposure +4 suits best for dash cam use, point camera slightly down to avoid sky overexposure (darkening everything else).

Only downsize is (and was) that driving from day to dark and v.v. must have the same setting, since toggling it while driving is a bad thing....

Didn't have a chance to update yet.
I'd also like a feedback and recommanded settings for dashcam (and night driving)

I updated the day it came out. so far so good, no issues at all, day time and night time. i see also lots of good reviews on this firmware on rcgroups.
i put all new color options on default, dont want to mess with it too much, plus people at rcgroups are saying default options are just great. so... its good enough for me.
im using WDR for nighttime driving, you wont see any difference during day time, but at night WDR should enhance picture dynamic range.

I'm thinking I need to do this update. With a polarising filter on one of my Mobius the adjustable exposure sounds like what I need to boost the image brightness for night use?

Any thoughts?

Yes, exposure boosts up the lighting, but also makes the video more grainy.

The issue I have is that setting the exposure at a higher level makes the video in daylight way too overexposed, and I can't fiddle around with settings while driving, besides my mobile phone has no OTG, so even if I would, I could'nt.

I drive from night to day, and from day to night, so either I need an automatic feauture (that isn't in the Mobius), or the developper should implement it in the VIDEO SETTINGS 1 and 2, so if I switch from 1 to 2, with the exposure setting preset there, I can decide which one to use just by pressing the buttons.......

That would be nice....

As Innovv have copied Mobius, I see no reason why Mobius shouldn't copy Innovv in one respect. The 'Auto Bright Night' feature, as covered by thread http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/innovv-amazing-feature-auto-bright-night.3505/ appears to deliver automatic low-light video enhancement, with no need to fiddle with settings.

Mind you, I don't think Innovv thought of it themselves, but had it suggested to them by Mtz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Majority of all innovative functions / options / ideas on Mobius, Innovv, Dimika or any other dash camera or products ( cars, electronics ) etc. - they come from everyday users like us.
Think, - why some wise manufacturers are active on forums ? - to get fresh ideas from "average Joe" who in many cases is more creative than their R&D ! ;)

To me the "ABN" looks like the WDR on Mobius. Is it something different?

To me the "ABN" looks like the WDR on Mobius. Is it something different?

ABN on Innovv can be set to activate by chosen time.

ABN on Innovv can be set to activate by chosen time.
Yes, but the settings that are activated by this function do not affect daylight image quality (or only a little), so they could very easily stay ON all day long -> the same like Mobius WDR.
However, if a group of night settings could be adjusted according to some specific schedule, then yes, it looks useful.

Yes, but the settings that are activated by this function do not affect daylight image quality (or only a little), so they could very easily stay ON all day long -> the same like Mobius WDR.
However, if a group of night settings could be adjusted according to some specific schedule, then yes, it looks useful.

About full potential of ABN vs Mobius WDR at the moment I guess @Mtz can give more defined answer, as I will be doing full deep tests of C1 vs C2 vs Mobius FW 1.13 different setting / options within upcoming weeks and at the moment I can not speculate on non of them from individual separate videos. True answer will come after side by side test.

any test of these will only be a subjective 'at this moment' type test, they're both actively working on firmware development so regardless of results now we should see further improvement from each as time goes on

any test of these will only be a subjective 'at this moment' type test, they're both actively working on firmware development so regardless of results now we should see further improvement from each as time goes on

Thats right. Mobius and Innovv are most active developers and recently its hard to keep up with changes they make to give definite conclusion. Thats why with every test will be mentioned FW version, model version and settings used on tests at that particular moment.

Majority of all innovative functions / options / ideas on Mobius, Innovv, Dimika or any other dash camera or products ( cars, electronics ) etc. - they come from everyday users like us.
Think, - why some wise manufacturers are active on forums ? - to get fresh ideas from "average Joe" who in many cases is more creative than their R&D ! ;)

I hope that the Mobius Developer monitors all the Mobius threads, & not just the main thread, i.e. http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius.1303/

I've installed 1.13 fw with many toggles, CHECK it out!!! Download and install, and let us know your thoughts.

I find vivid color / auto WB / sharpness +128 (need to read that plate, right!)/ exposure +4 suits best for dash cam use, point camera slightly down to avoid sky overexposure (darkening everything else).

Only downsize is (and was) that driving from day to dark and v.v. must have the same setting, since toggling it while driving is a bad thing....

My long time experience with digital sharpening leads me to believe that gross over-sharpening is never a good idea. Usually, it's best to apply sharpening judiciously. Nevertheless, it couldn't hurt to try it. Just being able to experiment with this is obviously one the cool and valuable things of the new v.1.13 firmware.

You correctly point out that there is an inherent problem with optimizing settings for daytime when you transition to driving at night and can't change settings on the fly. This made me think of a discussion about WDR with Jokiin from last October where the topic of dual camera units came up such as is sometimes used in CCTV surveillance cameras like the one in the photo below. So for anyone who was willing to spend the money, it would be interesting to install two side by side or upper/lower Mobius cameras where the new firmware would allow one camera to be optimized for daytime and the other for nightime. The cost of a Mobius camera is modest enough that this might be a viable approach.

dual-lens.jpg

I had same idea to buy 2 units and install them side by side or on top of each other. One set for day and other for night rec. Maybe even change lens for day time recording unit to more daytime-friendly aperture. Also add a relay-type timer switch with photosencitive eye ( light sensor ) to switch on / off each unit depending on light condition. Of course best if all those functions would be all-in-one solution built into one device. So need to wait till some manufacturet maybe see a potentisl in my dreams and can produce it in some stage.

I thought of that too, but dragging around the Mobius already was a big step, since I drive another truck every day, so I was really looking for a better smartphone than the one I have now (which I need to carry around anyway), but don't have the money for it, only from end of march I can renew contract and choose another phone, probably a Sony Xperia Z1 for the low light capabillities.

So I need to cut down on drag-arounds, as you can imagine, and then there's the hassle with cables, chargers etc.

Nevertheless, I can live with one Mobius since it has way better quality then my current phone, but 2 will make my days even more difficult to work with..... for a fixe setup it might work, however I think I would look for something else then.....

I had same idea to buy 2 units and install them side by side or on top of each other. One set for day and other for night rec. Maybe even change lens for day time recording unit to more daytime-friendly aperture. Also add a relay-type timer switch with photosencitive eye ( light sensor ) to switch on / off each unit depending on light condition. Of course best if all those functions would be all-in-one solution built into one device. So need to wait till some manufacturet maybe see a potentisl in my dreams and can produce it in some stage.

Well, if anyone could come up with the perfect DIY bracket for this, it would be you. :) This idea really wasn't so viable before but now with the new settings available in the firmware it could make a lot of sense. Another idea is to have one camera with the A lens and the other with the B lens or even a longer focal length 12mm x 0.5 threaded lens. In the discussion I linked in my previous post, Jokiin mentioned that he has contemplated this concept, "but not sure how commercially viable it would be".

I think the idea that dirkzelf came up with is great. The Mobius allows us two video Modes, with Mode 1 being set to 1080/30 and Mode 2, by default, set to 720/60. If we could change the settings for each mode, then changing to night mode would be as simple as clicking the M button to change modes. @Isoprop is this possible or available?

I think the idea that dirkzelf came up with is great. The Mobius allows us two video Modes, with Mode 1 being set to 1080/30 and Mode 2, by default, set to 720/60. If we could change the settings for each mode, then changing to night mode would be as simple as clicking the M button to change modes. @Isoprop is this possible or available?

Might be worth mentioning this in the Mobius requests thread.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Mobius 1
MedicalFlyer Mobius 11
Back