New FW 1.13: your thoughts / preferred settings

I think the idea that dirkzelf came up with is great. The Mobius allows us two video Modes, with Mode 1 being set to 1080/30 and Mode 2, by default, set to 720/60. If we could change the settings for each mode, then changing to night mode would be as simple as clicking the M button to change modes. @Isoprop is this possible or available?
Step 2 firmware is only a week old and the developer is already working on step 3 which has top priority. There are tons of exciting features in the pipeline but I'm afraid we can't reveal anything, especially now that the competition also monitors these threads. More features inevitably also lead to more bugs which also have to be corrected. Quality is the topmost priority and comes long before more features or promises that can't be kept.

Step 2 firmware is only a week old and the developer is already working on step 3 which has top priority. There are tons of exciting features in the pipeline but I'm afraid we can't reveal anything, especially now that the competition also monitors these threads. More features inevitably also lead to more bugs which also have to be corrected. Quality is the topmost priority and comes long before more features or promises that can't be kept.
Well then, we will excitedly wait and see :D

pushing the M button every night is not a good solution. I'm not the only driver and even if i was, i'd forget. The mobius already features a clock. needs to be based on clock time or detect low light from the recording itself. buttom line it has to be automatic.

As a dashcam user, i don't want to even know the camera is there on daily bases. it needs to work in the background without me fiddling all the time.
only after something has happened i want to get the footage, and i want it to be as detailed as possible.

pushing the M button every night is not a good solution. I'm not the only driver and even if i was, i'd forget. The mobius already features a clock. needs to be based on clock time or detect low light from the recording itself. buttom line it has to be automatic.

As a dashcam user, i don't want to even know the camera is there on daily bases. it needs to work in the background without me fiddling all the time.
only after something has happened i want to get the footage, and i want it to be as detailed as possible.
Depending on the size of your SD card and how much recording you have, you will have to manually format the card from time to time. Failing to do so will result in missed video or the camera not working at all.
I can't imagine the clock is a reliable solution, but then I don't use a dashcam :)

you will have to manually format the card from time to time.
what kind of time frame are we talking about exactly? its been in the car for ~4 months. took it out about a month ago to update the firmware and the few clips i checked were fine.

taking it out for maintenance once in a blue moon is reasonable, but dashcams are not supposed to draw your attention and fiddling every time you start the car. As i said, in my opinion it should be unnoticeable, in the background, until you need it.
otherwise you can ask why we need auto-startup when external power is applied? manually power up the camera every time you start the car. we want it to work seamlessly/automatically.
but then I don't use a dashcam :)
o_O
what are you doing here then? ...errr.. using it for then?

what are you doing here then? ...errr.. using it for then?

Isoprop is a major contributor at http://www.rcgroups.com , so I assume he's a fan of RC aircraft or boats or cars. Aside from that, he's the author of the Mobius Windows GUI & the Owner's Manual, etc.

His participation at dashcamtalk probably avoids the need for dashcam fans to submit off-topic posts at http://www.rcgroups.com . Whatever Isoprop's motivation, we're lucky to have his input.

If Tom Frank & therau2000 would also drop by here now & again, we'd be even more spoilt for technical expertise.

Im aware of his contribution, i was assuming he's also using it as dash cam since hes pretty active on this forum, thats all.

I understand the set it and forget it idea. I just think that regular viewing of footage at least monthly is a good idea. Otherwise how would we know it's still functioning properly. It's like that flashlight in the drawer we never use until there is an emergency and we pull it out to find the batteries are dead.

Though I would imagine if we are on here talking about them, we are also playing with, umm testing :rolleyes: our cameras regularly.

what kind of time frame are we talking about exactly? its been in the car for ~4 months. took it out about a month ago to update the firmware and the few clips i checked were fine.

taking it out for maintenance once in a blue moon is reasonable, but dashcams are not supposed to draw your attention and fiddling every time you start the car. As i said, in my opinion it should be unnoticeable, in the background, until you need it.
otherwise you can ask why we need auto-startup when external power is applied? manually power up the camera every time you start the car. we want it to work seamlessly/automatically.
If the card is used a lot the FAT will inevitably become corrupted - sooner or later. FAT is not immune to software/communication/contact glitches like a journaled file system. I would expect a small card where files are overwritten more often than on a large card to be more prone to FAT corruption so should be formatted more often. All the same, I consider ~4 months without formatting a long time if your card is in daily use. No one can tell you when your FAT will become corrupted, it just happens. Depending on the card's controller, some cards may be more susceptible to data corruption than others. In general there's no problem, but you should be aware that a problem could appear. Why not be on the safe side and swap the card for a formatted card from time to time? I don't want to start a discussion of how and when and what's best and why, so I'll leave it there. Formatting your card and checking your camera from time to time can't do any harm.

If the card is used a lot the FAT will inevitably become corrupted - sooner or later. FAT is not immune to software/communication/contact glitches like a journaled file system. I would expect a small card where files are overwritten more often than on a large card to be more prone to FAT corruption so should be formatted more often. All the same, I consider ~4 months without formatting a long time if your card is in daily use. No one can tell you when your FAT will become corrupted, it just happens. Depending on the card's controller, some cards may be more susceptible to data corruption than others. In general there's no problem, but you should be aware that a problem could appear. Why not be on the safe side and swap the card for a formatted card from time to time? I don't want to start a discussion of how and when and what's best and why, so I'll leave it there. Formatting your card and checking your camera from time to time can't do any harm.

Totally agree. Have some bad experience in corrupted flash cards.
If talk about fw-1-13 or any other mobius fw were recording at highest 18Mbps bit-rate, need to point out that the higher speed data ( more data interchage / processing on high speeds to the flash card) - the quicker flash card will be "tired" and will more likely be corrupted and "die" much sooner than using lower bit-rate. Thats why most Korean dash cams dont want to offer us option of 15 or 18Mbps. They stick to the golden middle of 10-12Mbps. But here again dilemma with other drawbacks which we can discuss in other topic.

well guys, I'm switching back to V.47.

Why?

I find the recordings in V1.13 worse that the one in V47. I don't get the sharp and crisp video that I'm used to in V.47, I dont know why, but even with all settings to DEFAULT, the quality in V.47 is way better, even V.35 (the oldest I have) does a better job.

Anyone know why that is?? I'd like to understand...... :-(

It's really a bummer, because I really like the added toggles in the new firmware, especially the motion detect.

might be a worthwhile exercise to try and supply some sample video or screen shots of each version, I think the dashcam functionality is a bit of a bonus and not something they focus as much attention on in comparison to their RC use, they certainly don't have the number of users compared to the RC users for feedback

To see Raw files would be good.
Best if you can drive one chosen route, lets say 5min drive-rec with 047 FW then go back to starting point and drive same route with 1.13 FW and share raw footage.

well guys, I'm switching back to V.47.

Why?

I find the recordings in V1.13 worse that the one in V47. I don't get the sharp and crisp video that I'm used to in V.47, I dont know why, but even with all settings to DEFAULT, the quality in V.47 is way better, even V.35 (the oldest I have) does a better job.

Anyone know why that is?? I'd like to understand...... :-(

It's really a bummer, because I really like the added toggles in the new firmware, especially the motion detect.
You are the first person to report this, so as jokiin and niko have posted, we really need a RAW video to compare.
During testing we found that v1.13 is much, much better than any previous release, but I don't recall we did a direct comparison between v0.47 using two different cameras.
If you only have one camera, then niko's advice to go back to the same starting point is a good idea, but make sure the weather doesn't change!

You are the first person to report this, so as jokiin and niko have posted, we really need a RAW video to compare.
During testing we found that v1.13 is much, much better than any previous release, but I don't recall we did a direct comparison between v0.47 using two different cameras.
If you only have one camera, then niko's advice to go back to the same starting point is a good idea, but make sure the weather doesn't change!

I do this type of comparisons time to time with different FW if have only 1 unit. Have unit with one FW set up in car, taking along with me microsd with other FW, chose well known route ( preferable circle-around route like nearby shopping centre or streets that will lead me to starting point ), go to starting point, start driving-rec with one firmware will do 5-15 min drive returning to starting point, 1-2 min updating FW then driving same route and trying to maintain same speed if traffic allows. Within 10-20 min weather conditions usually dont change so comparison result should be most correct.

Ok guys, I've just come home from another day at work, and I may have been too soon concluding allsorts.....

Today there was great weather, sunny, few clouds, and the recordings are teriffic! Nice and crisp, and probably even better as before, like Isoprop tells us above. The thing I'd like to mention is the way the camera handles when pointed right into the low sun, it makes the surroundings dark, but still a good job, can see exactly what's happening.

I think my impression may have been caused by less good weather circumstances we had the last few weeks.

The V1.13 is very much OK!

On the motion detect: It might indeed be better to not use it when driving. I noticed a recording stop for more than 1 minute even when driving, on straight road, dark, no streetlights, started recording when detecting streetlights, and in a bend, settings was set to normal, I may want to try the HIGH sensitivity setting ......

Another suspicion I have is that I may probably better place the lens a close as possible against the window, as truck windows have many scratches, scuffs, and are often dirty. Besides they are very vertical (not like your average private car with aerodynamic windows) and thus very reflective. That may pump up the quality even more.

anyway, great job on the V1.13 !! Thanks !!

big trucks (semi) are more aerodynamic-efficient then private cars.

Back