New installation, please critique...

Class 10 and above.

Transcend recently changed from 300x to 400x which is great. If you want to spring for even longer term stability get 600x or 633x

I'd avoid Samsung Evo too

By the way when you first insert any card that is 64GB or larger you will receive the following error messages until you get into the menu and format the card once. The camera will format factory ExFAT into FAT32.

Thank you all for the help!! I will report back with new video asap.

I have used Samsung EVO 32GB card in my previous two dash cams (Mini 0801 and an anonymous dash cam) in the past year or so without problem. It's one of the best bang-for-buck microSD cards on the market at the moment. Have the stock Kingston card in my SG9665GC and an even older Samsung class 10 card in my A118C, both working fine too.

the EVO cards are fine, the main problem is it's a card that gets faked a lot so it's an easy one to get caught out with

Which is why you should only buy memory cards from trusted retailers. I have bought a few from trusted local sellers here in Australia i.e. PCByte, Futu, Shopping Express.

I don't buy cheap deals from China online sellers. I have read a number of user feedback when they bought cards of supposedly 64GB or 128GB capacity, but in reality the cards are only 8GB with false label. So I can't trust them for now.

Seems ok, low setting direct sun into the lens is always tough though.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2016-03-14-21h05m32s809.png
    vlcsnap-2016-03-14-21h05m32s809.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • vlcsnap-2016-03-14-21h06m34s778.png
    vlcsnap-2016-03-14-21h06m34s778.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • vlcsnap-2016-03-14-21h07m39s152.png
    vlcsnap-2016-03-14-21h07m39s152.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Yeah I was very impressed overall with the performance. I'll definitely get better video as I have time. My only lingering issue is the focus of distant objects, including road signs. At speed is when I really notice the lack of crispness (focus?). Often I'll roll through a stoplight and won't be able to read the name of the road. Is there any way to adjust the focus? Even if it involves opening the device I would be willing to experiment. Here are some screenshots as an example:

2MIEejL.jpg

YQhiyNZ.jpg

wfZpaAp.jpg

ER3FUvG.jpg

4O8dBsm.jpg

a sign of that size at that distance is not going to be able to be read clearly, if you adjusted the lens to suit that you'd have poorer focus up close

That does make total sense. I was wondering where the limit was for current technology. What about that last image though? I'm at a dead stop right at the intersection and I still can't make out the street names.

That does make total sense. I was wondering where the limit was for current technology. What about that last image though? I'm at a dead stop right at the intersection and I still can't make out the street names.
Think of it in terms of the number of pixels available for a given element in the frame.

Take the "BIKE LANE" sign in the frame at 18:13:06 and zoom in until you can see the individual pixels. Each letter is about 5 pixels wide - not a lot of detail can be captured regardless of how good the lens/focus might be. It's much worse for the street names.

I know I keep going on about buying a dash mat for reflections and they truly are a good investment for heat control and prevents dash cracking.

Think of it in terms of the number of pixels available for a given element in the frame.

Take the "BIKE LANE" sign in the frame at 18:13:06 and zoom in until you can see the individual pixels. Each letter is about 5 pixels wide - not a lot of detail can be captured regardless of how good the lens/focus might be. It's much worse for the street names.

Good explanation! Guess I overestimated the capability a touch but still thrilled regardless. Being able to read street names isn't a big deal with the gps data. I was more concerned about getting the best performance and not leaving anything on the table. The camera more than serves its intended purpose. I look forward to seeing what's next from SG and the industry. Time to research a rear-facing cam for my hatch!

Back