New Product Development? Need Your Great Idea in 2018!

Which Dash Cam is Your Choice

• Front and Rear Camera (Front:Novatek Full HD 1080P+SONY Sensor Back: 480P ) in 79.99$

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So it could be nice just to ask for what people want, ask people to vote, this is enough. No need to buy us with one dashcam. People are not giving help here for money they are doing this for free, trying to help other people.

I'm still not gonna turn down the chance of a free dashcam :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Mtz
Great! So if somebody is coming with great ideas about how to make a great camera with great sales, he will receive a... $20-30 (factory price) camera? All people which are posting in this thread already have at least one dashcam so receiving another dashcam is not any deal for them. The right price can be $5000-$10000, maybe.

So it could be nice just to ask for what people want, ask people to vote, this is enough. No need to buy us with one dashcam. People are not giving help here for money they are doing this for free, trying to help other people.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes,sir, to know what's the idea dash cam in reasonable price is what we want to do :)

A modular system where I can pick and choose what features I want

i.e. a camera module
a wifi module
a GPS module
a battery module
a capacitor module

Let me select which components to stack together for the camera I want

A modular system where I can pick and choose what features I want

i.e. a camera module
a wifi module
a GPS module
a battery module
a capacitor module

Let me select which components to stack together for the camera I want
Cool, like MOTO Z series to customized the product

I'm still not gonna turn down the chance of a free dashcam :ROFLMAO:
I wish you good luck and to win the free dashcam if you want it so much.
Normally, from a idea to the final product few months are needed so bookmark this thread so you can come back from time to time and ask about product development. In this way the OP will see that you are interested about theirs work so they will chose you for the free gift.

For example I don't want free cameras from China because when I am going to the customs to pickup the shipments I need to show the proof of payment for what I receive even it is a real gift. And also I don't want to make some illegal things just for a free camera which costs about $40 factory price.

Yes,sir, to know what's the idea dash cam in reasonable price is what we want to do :)
There is a difference between what people expect from their dream camera and making a thread to just know what is the price people are paying for some configuration.
Your results from this thread can be very wrong because in real life, because in this forum the camera which have here the less votes will be the most sold on AliExpress, eBay, Taobao just because of its price. And finally your conclusion will be that the forum people are not good at all. Here, most of us are perfectionists, we are not buying dashcams just looking at the score given by other buyers on Ali, eBay, we are searching before.

Are the 360 dashcams the most sold in China? Then make a camera like the 360 is doing. SJCam and Xiaomi and Yi are already copying the 360 style just to take some Chinese market share from the 360 market.
But did you see on this forum threads about the 360 dashcams?
So if you expect big sales Chinese style this is not the best place to ask because people like us are not enough for selling a product and you are here to make money not to make some people dreams true. And you are right.

enjoy,
Myz

Last edited:
I want replaceable M12 lenses or C lenses, and selectable options for bitrate, framerate, exposure times, etc.

NO camera allows framerate to be selected except the Mobius 1 even though it would cost nothing to implement.

Another feature I consider necessary is GPS mainly for accurate time.

Full size SD cards would be nice too, for durability and size

I have wished for a modular approach for a while.

Not quite this.
i.e. a camera module
a wifi module
a GPS module
a battery module
a capacitor module

But more like:
Additional cameras
Alarm module
Maybe entertainment system module ( bluetooth steaming music from phone ALA car play and what ever its called from google and the fruit company )
Amplifier module maybe a part of the above.

As for dashcam functionality i really would like ANPR so i could have the camera warn me if a certain license-plate i have entered in the system is driving behind me ( undercover police cars )
In Denmark a detector that can detect the police radios ( not listen in just detect their always on radios, anyway the radios are encrypted ) but you can now get detectors like that than can be used several places in the EU where police and other things like fire departments use such trunked SINE / tetra radio systems.

I want replaceable M12 lenses or C lenses, and selectable options for bitrate, framerate, exposure times, etc.

NO camera allows framerate to be selected except the Mobius 1 even though it would cost nothing to implement.

Another feature I consider necessary is GPS mainly for accurate time.

Full size SD cards would be nice too, for durability and size

I'm all for this. However, I have to wonder if what we're asking here is high end spec as opposed to a $49 camera. All these things are what I want to see but fit more with a $200 camera than a $49 camera. How many $49 buyers are even going to realise the benefits of swapping out a lens? A good lens could easily cost as much as the whole camera itself although I rather suspect there are good lens around for less.

Personally, I don't like dual camera systems because quality usually suffers due to shared processing and storage hardware.

I also don't like GPS unless it's optional. I don't need big brother recording my speed constantly. Have no objection to GPS, but think it should be either an optional module or there should be an option to turn GPS data recording off.

Beware going too wide on the lens FOV.

Probably not much point me putting my usual list of requirements forwards given the price point. This is obviously going to be a budget cam and will no doubt be great for those wanting a simple cheap cam.

I'm all for this. However, I have to wonder if what we're asking here is high end spec as opposed to a $49 camera. All these things are what I want to see but fit more with a $200 camera than a $49 camera. How many $49 buyers are even going to realise the benefits of swapping out a lens? A good lens could easily cost as much as the whole camera itself although I rather suspect there are good lens around for less.

Personally, I don't like dual camera systems because quality usually suffers due to shared processing and storage hardware.

I also don't like GPS unless it's optional. I don't need big brother recording my speed constantly. Have no objection to GPS, but think it should be either an optional module or there should be an option to turn GPS data recording off.

Beware going too wide on the lens FOV.

Probably not much point me putting my usual list of requirements forwards given the price point. This is obviously going to be a budget cam and will no doubt be great for those wanting a simple cheap cam.

It would be great if someone made a $200 cameras with the features we want, but of course they don't, because they don't care

BTW I'm pretty sure every GPS camera lets you select what gets recorded. Garmin lets you choose from speed and coordinates

A lot of GPS cameras are locked so they always record speed data to the SD card - this is to try to tap into the business market where companies don't want employees able to disable speed or location recording . That said, it's a sledge hammer to crack a nut. A good Password system to that area of the settings is all that's need to protect data recording from being turned off by an employee and one glance at the recordings by the boss occasionally would easily show whether an employee had turned the data system off anyway. A password or pin number system just secures it further. I believe in some cameras it can be "turned off" but in reality it simply isn't shown. It's still recorded to the SD encoded in the picture which makes it retrievable later. I believe it should be fully off and if a cam company is worried about the corporate market, then password the settings in that area. I'm not a fan of GPS speed data because a few mph over accidentally and it becomes partially your fault even if the picture shows otherwise. Also, although it hasn't happened yet to my knowledge, it's only a step away from drivers being prosecuted by their own cameras for exceeding the speed limit, and I don't care what anyone says, we all do it at times, whether intentionally or accidentally. I'm not someone who believes in hanging yourself with your own camera. However, views on this may differ.

As for the $200-300 camera, if I had the knowledge to do it, I'd be tempted to design and put one to market myself - a no frills camera - Sony 4K STARVIS of at least 8mp (12mp STARVIS are v.rare), a larger sensor format if possible (could be restricted by optics cost), pro level optics, a not too wide lens, and high bit rates. No GPS, fancy buttons, coffee machine or anything else. Just a pure camera producing a near broadcast quality picture that enables the retrieval of plates from much greater distance than at present. That discussion goes beyond the current thread though....

Last edited:
A lot of GPS cameras are locked so they always record speed data to the SD card - this is to try to tap into the business market where companies don't want employees able to disable speed or location recording

I don't think it has anything to do with trying to get corporate customers, anyone like that would be looking at GPS tracking rather than camera systems, the only request we get from businesses is to be able to lock the card inside and secure the cables, employees pulling power or memory cards out is a constant issue, fruitless exercise anyway as those same types of employees that do that will just cover the lens if there's no way for them to disable the system

Lens only on the windscreen with control box including a screen underneath the dash or in Glove box.

The choose your own features to suit you sounds good - for an additional charge.
Sony STARVIS for rear facing Uber cams like the Transcend and Vantrue.
Pics need to be sent live away from Car incase of fire or theft ... unless they are stored in a secure onboard 'black box'

Back