New Shielded Case

lmb71

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Mobius ActionCam B Lens
Screenshot_2014-12-16-09-54-50~2.jpg Is anyone going to get one of the new shielded cases just announced on www.mobius-actioncam.com ? I think I'll be getting one. I've not long had my camera and although I knew about the GPS interference problem, I found FM is severely affected also. My radio antenna is close to where the Mobius sits.

While I'm at it, I suppose a USB cable with a ferrite core might be advisable.

Last edited:
they only announced, right? because i can't find it yet.
when you will see it somewhere, please update. i may buy it, depends of the price - if it will be at the price range of 3-5$ (the original case is 2.99$)

it's outrageous!
20$ ? it's almost 30% of the price of a new camera.
i prefer to buy the original and paint it with metallic paint or something like it.

It's a very niche market product though that - not everyone who has a Mobius will have any interference problems so they might have had to do a small run which is why they cost more.

The higher end cameras have this sort of coating as well as internal RF shields to help minimise this sort of problem, but it's nice to see that a fix is available for the Mobius. I've seen some people just paint the inside of their existing case - this is an example of something you could do if you have the specific interference problem:

If you read it you can see that initially it didn't make much difference but after 48 hours of drying time it was really helping.

About Mobius EMI coating I recommended over year ago.
Glad this finally out. However price is really hurts. On industrial scale to pait 1K cases would cost around 10-20p extra. To paint 100pcs maybe cost 1-2$ each. Having 500-600% of margings is normal for limited edition niche product. Those who really needs it to sort out inteteference problems, will buy it any way. As they say: nothing personal, just a business [emoji6]

As @reverend mentioned previously, it may be possible to do your own EMI/RF painted coating. I came across a modestly priced conducting carbon paint called Hum Bugger produced primarily for shielding electric guitar pick-ups. It comes in one ounce bottles and costs US $12.95 on eBay.

humbugger.jpg

There is also a company called LessEMF.com that sells (along with many other EMI/RF products) water based electromagnetic paint called Y-Shield and a copper particle water based shielding paint called CuPro-Cote, both for $29.99 for four ounces.

These types of shielding paints need to be grounded for them to be effective.

Last edited:
We have taken delivery of the shielded cases which we're putting on the site for sale shortly. The price will be £9.99 for the case, screws, and buttons.

We've not tested the new shielded cases ourselves yet but we gave one to a customer that was having interference issues and the results look good so far, with very little interference. The cases don't actually look any different and there are no signs that there's any shielding in the plastic. All new Mobius cameras come with these cases as standard now.

We have taken delivery of the shielded cases which we're putting on the site for sale shortly. The price will be £9.99 for the case, screws, and buttons.

We've not tested the new shielded cases ourselves yet but we gave one to a customer that was having interference issues and the results look good so far, with very little interference. The cases don't actually look any different and there are no signs that there's any shielding in the plastic. All new Mobius cameras come with these cases as standard now.
am very interested in the shielded case have noticed you have a box for discount code any chance of a code for free shipping within the UK?

Hi dave798, we don't have any free delivery codes live at the moment I'm afraid.
please let me know if any delivery codes become live as I am wanting a shielded case to remove the interference on my DAB radio and although you have the case reasonably priced it goes above my budget with the shipping added so will live with the DAB dropouts till i can source an alternative way around my problem

With free shipping they would probably lose money, don't begrudge them for needing to charge for postage
i do not begrudge them needing to pay for postage by any means whatsoever i noticed they have a discount code on their site and merely asked and as noted in my previous post it was fairly priced but with the shipping cost goes above what i would budget for this part so in the interim will live with the DAB interference till i can find another way to overcome it

I can confirm that I have now ordered the Mobius shielded case from Car Camera Shop and will post my findings after reviewing the product

I have now received and fitted my new shielded case from http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/ I must say this product does not do what it purports to do and suppress DAB interference. the shielded case I received was not the same as is shown in this link https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/store/products/shielded-case/ the one i received is not all one colour you will note that the linked case does look like it has a form of coating on it whereas mine looks exactly like a replica spare mobius case complete with the heatsink still all metal and was in no way different from the case that I changed it with. whether the store sent me a spare case in error i do not know but I wouldn't buy this product from this store if wanting to suppress DAB interference. I will just for transparency buy a shielded case from mobius actioncam and compare both cases with detailed pictures but as it stands anybody considering buying from carcamerashop I would suggest you shop elsewhere albeit the seller did include a spare capacitor battery and mini pack of haribo free of charge the price i paid for the product i received was not value for money and I am still suffering from DAB interference

albeit the seller did include a spare capacitor battery and mini pack of haribo free of charge the price i paid for the product i received was not value for money and I am still suffering from DAB interference

maybe they sent you the wrong order?

maybe they sent you the wrong order?
I would sincerely hope that is the case and that would explain why there is no improvement maybe carcamerashop can confirm that the item sent was indeed a supposed shielded case or an error on their behalf and they sent a normal case as i suspect that is what has actually happened maybe carcamerashop can come in here by replying to this post?????

have now been in touch with seller (carcamerashop) who are awaiting a response from the manufacturer and i think seller is of the belief that the item I was sold was in fact a shielded case, they have promised to respond on this thread when they gain a reply from the manufacturer

Hi Dave, I've just emailed you a response but I'll put it here for everyone else.

I sent the details over to the manufacturer and it appears that the cases are in fact the standard cases. Rather frustrating as we were assured they were the shielded ones! Plus, our initial trial test with a customer reported they had worked and stopped all interference.

We are waiting for more to be sent as a replacement but until then we've taken them off sale. We will of course refund your order which we will do now for you - you will receive a confirmation email when it's done.

Sorry for the inconvenience! We'll keep you posted on developments and we have more in stock.

Hi Dave, I've just emailed you a response but I'll put it here for everyone else.

I sent the details over to the manufacturer and it appears that the cases are in fact the standard cases. Rather frustrating as we were assured they were the shielded ones! Plus, our initial trial test with a customer reported they had worked and stopped all interference.

We are waiting for more to be sent as a replacement but until then we've taken them off sale. We will of course refund your order which we will do now for you - you will receive a confirmation email when it's done.

Sorry for the inconvenience! We'll keep you posted on developments and we have more in stock.
thank you very much what a sport rest assured I would hope more suppliers could learn from you, i will keep an eye open for when your shielded cases arrive and send some business your way thank you for being so open sorry i couldn't promote your product but will buy a shielded case when they arrive, please let me know when you have them in stock, and for anybody doubting this supplier he refunded immediately after finding out his supplier had sent the incorrect products and I would definitely buy from him again

Back