New To Dash Cams... Overwhelmed

DarwinsFlinch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there, gang. I had a very close call a month ago and, as I thought back on it, I realized it would be word against word. I am getting a bit older (56) and I drive a bit slower and there is some bias out there. Where in the heck do I start?

From what I have been able to untangle, I think I am looking for a discreet, single channel with a decent daytime/low light blend. I drive mostly daytime during the week, on weekends I can be most anywhere but am often driving dusk into night. WiFi? Battery type? Not a fan of wires on the windscreen... can a charging pack be used? I don't really have a budget so nothing is necessarily off the table, but I don't want to spend more than I need, naturally.

A little direction would be appreciated.

2008 Chevy Colorado

(click to enlarge)

You are easy able to route wires around the windscreen.
If you start at the top and dead center then the wire go up above the headliner, here you should be able to just push the wire up above the headliner, this should be totally tool less.
Then you get to the A pillar, and here you often have to pry off the decorative plastic trim, some times a single screw is used to hold things in place, but often the plastic just click on and off with a little force.
Now in there you want to be careful with any airbags that might be located there, but if you can get in behind the airbag or at least trail the wire down close to the windscreen glass ( airbag should deploy in the other direction.

Some cars you don't even have to move the plastic trim pieces as there is a gap you can just press the wire into.

When you then reach down to dashbord level there is 2 routes, one is strait down at the base of the A pillar, i can do this with my Cheap Small Suzuki car.
This off course mean that i will have to start in the other end with the cigarette plug/adapter as it is too large to thread thru the little gaps, and the mini USB plug in the other end of the wire go thru very small holes.

Starting at the cigarette plug is actually the right place to start, so forgive me for explaining in reverse for some strange reason.

Anyways back to the power wire, if you dont have a gap at the base of the A pillar you can go down thru and down below the dashbord, then you are often able to route the wire down between the rubber door seal and the dashbord side, and then also down and below the dashbord.

Now that you are down below its just a matter of routing the wire across the foot well, there should be stuff below the dashbord to zip tie or tape the wire to so its out of the way, and then its just a matter of routing the wire around to the cigarette socket on your center console or maybe thats in the console between the seats.

You can power any 5 volt dashcam using a USB power bank, but thats no optimal way to do it.
One day you have forgotten to charge it or just down right forgotten it, and who care its just a short trip to the store down the street, and then murphys law kick into action and that short drive was just where you needed a recording.

So either the regular route using the provided adapter in the cigarette plug, or you can piggy back on a fuse in the fusebox for the same result.

This is my old setup with just one 5 port USB cahrger in the glove box, this have since become too little so its expanded a lot.

In the video you can see the plastic trim pice from my A pillar lying on the dashbord.

Since then i have expanded my power grid to be more suitable for a dashcam tester, so now i have the following connections at hand.

In glove box one of those 3 way cigarette adapters i call garbage in the video, it also have one 2 amp USB outlet.
I then still have the 5 way USB charger ( 2 X 2.4 A + 3 X 1.0 A outlets ) and i have also added another 4 way USB charger with 2.4 A on all for outputs.

I have then piggybacked into a 10 A fuse in my fuse box and installed the other 3 way cigarette splitter in the boot of my car.

more install camera videos.

A little more advansed install tapping into fuse box for install of a Battery discharge preventer you will want if you plan on using parking guard while the car is parked.

You have that dotted area in front of your windscreen, so this mean that you can make good use of the wedge styled dashcams as most of it will be above in the dotted area and only the lower part with the lens will peek out below the dotted area.

But you will have to have the camera offset a little due to the way your RVM is also coming off the windscreen, that stalk is just in the sweet spot :rolleyes: but fear not a little offset is no big deal with the wide angle lenses dashcams use.

Last edited:
No specifics at this point. Just interested in general general impressions of the unit's ease of use, issues, pic quality. As I said, brand new at this.

I have seen your replies in Amazon, and not concerned about that. I appreciate your candor. Do you have a newer model in the pipeline you expect out in the next 3 0r 4 months? Be a downer to buy the v2 and have it quickly superseded. Also curious about heat issues. In Maryland, 90+ summer days are becoming the norm. Even with a windshield screen and vented windows, the cabin has hit 115F. How are your heat tolerances, and is there a heat resistant SD card you recommend?

...Also curious about heat issues. In Maryland, 90+ summer days are becoming the norm. Even with a windshield screen and vented windows, the cabin has hit 115F. How are your heat tolerances, and is there a heat resistant SD card you recommend?
I'm in Michigan and get the same temps as you, if not hotter. Running GCs front and rear with no issues. Both cameras using 128GB PNY cards.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00W77C1W4

I have seen your replies in Amazon, and not concerned about that. I appreciate your candor. Do you have a newer model in the pipeline you expect out in the next 3 0r 4 months? Be a downer to buy the v2 and have it quickly superseded. Also curious about heat issues. In Maryland, 90+ summer days are becoming the norm. Even with a windshield screen and vented windows, the cabin has hit 115F. How are your heat tolerances, and is there a heat resistant SD card you recommend?

we do have some improvements we're working on right now, you'll see those available from next month, the cards we use are all rated to 80°C which is pretty much the norm and above the processor operating temps anyway, we use and recommend Transcend cards but as long as you stick with top tier manufacturers cards (some model Sandisk cards should be avoided though) and be wary of fakes you're generally ok

The SG9665GC ( which i also have on my windscreen as my primary camera ) is a good wedge camera, the brand offer up customer care and support thats second to none i know off.
I am somewhat affiliated with the brand as they send me cameras to beat on.

Í don't think the V2 will suspended anytime soon, it is still a valid camera with high end hardware in it, and yes Street Guardian have new stuff coming, but hard to tell if we will see it on the shelves this side of X mas.

In the videos I have been watching, I do not see any location or speed information shown. What is the need for a GPS?
Any negatives with using this Micro SD? https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00VHW7OKO

location is shown in playback software, speed can be shown on screen if selected in the menu, GPS also keeps time and date in sync, the GPS allows rapid navigation of files in the playback software by being able to click on a location and go to that section of video, also aids in the sorting of files in the player

Thats a fine Transcend card, have one myself, and Transcend even okay it for dashcam use.

"Ships from and sold by Amazon.com." thats about as good as it get if the card should kick the bucket.

I had "Amazon cards" die on me, and they almost have a replacement card ind my mailbox before i get to ship the broken one back to them. :cool:

I appreciate the tip but have issues with PNY media forgery on 2 occasions. Your mileage may vary but I have sworn off of them.

Back