New TomTom Action Cam

every Hero? chasing the GoPro a bit hard there with their marketing, a few new ideas though is good to see for a change

Just how saturated can the action cam market get? Is there so much money in this product category that companies like TomTom feel it's worthwhile to invest and compete in this market? Perhaps it's because Garmin jumped in and now TomTom feels it needs to match Garmin's product line which now includes action and dash cams along with their core of GPS products? If that theory proves true then a TomTom dash cam can't be too far behind.

TomTom are probably making nothing like they used to out of the GPS market since the advent of the smart phone.

They did license some software to Apple for their maps app so they must have made some nice money out of that - unfortunately their own iPhone application stagnated with nothing but backend problems when trying to renew services.

I've just made the move to Android and the TomTom app for Android is on another level compared to what they have on iPhone.

...I've just made the move to Android and the TomTom app for Android is on another level compared to what they have on iPhone.

Better or worse?

Much better on Android - the iPhone app feels antiquated in comparison but I guess they'll release a new version at some point for iOS (assuming Apple don't go and stop them releasing a competitor to their own Maps app featuring turn-by-turn technology from TomTom......)

I have own a tom tom for many years and love there product, also I am looking at the action cam would be a great thing when I go on vacation, hmm dash cam if they do I think it might take it to the next level but like I said i am a little bias lol

I have own a tom tom for many years and love there product, also I am looking at the action cam would be a great thing when I go on vacation, hmm dash cam if they do I think it might take it to the next level but like I said i am a little bias lol

it's a very well known name which puts them above any other non GoPro offering straight away

a lot of people love Tom Tom, unless they bought a recent model, not anywhere near as good as their early stuff

I've not actually looked at a physical TomTom device in years - I used to have a 520 and to be honest the iPhone interface was still quite similar to what that had almost ten years ago!

I need to try that Waze stuff out as I only ever hear good stuff about that one too.

I need to try that Waze stuff out...

I've used Waze, TomTom App, Google Maps, Navmii, Nokia Here & standalone Garmin & TomTom SatNavs.

I don't use Waze any more. Used to be good for traffic reports, but I now find it unreliable, as it regularly fails to warn of traffic congestion.

My preference is Google Maps ... as long as there's a reliable data connection it consistently gets me to my destination quicker than any other App. It frequently informs me that I can save a few minutes by taking the next left, etc. If the data connection is lost, however, all bets are off & the App falls over.

For journeys with intermittent data connection, Nokia Here is my automatic choice. It only needs a data connection for traffic reports, the maps are stored on your phone. It's so good I cannot believe it's free. Audi, BMW & Mercedes recently paid £1.9 Billion for Here, so I wonder how long the App will remain free?

I have SatNav built in my vehicle and while it's convenient the maps get out of date fairly quick and cost a small fortune to update (US$200 :eek: ) making it unlikely that I'll ever pay for updated ones.

Used Waze for a while and, for me, it was more of a nuisance than a help and gave it up after a few weeks.

I've been using a TomTom for about 6 years now (when not using the built in) with lifetime map updates and real-time traffic. Could not possibly be any happier.

Audi, BMW & Mercedes recently paid £1.9 Billion for Here,

Before that Nokia paied much more for Here, it is said it was one of the things bringing Nokia down.:rolleyes: German car makers did a good deal there i think :D

Back