New Viofo A139 !

Turning off / on interior cam is not difficult to implement. We heard some users request these features, so finally we plan to implement this.
The internal camera must be turned off not with a button, but when switching to parking mode. In parking mode, the recording of an empty car is not interesting.

It could be if someone breaks in to the car
If they do they will take the car and camera with them, unless they are an animal like a racoon or something.. you are correct could be interesting then..

The internal camera must be turned off not with a button, but when switching to parking mode. In parking mode, the recording of an empty car is not interesting.
What if someone tries to break in and steal as much as he can while in parking mode? Isn't that interesting piece of evidence?

I think it should be OPTIONAL for those who still want to have it ON and not completely OFF as the only option in parking mode as you suggest.

If they do they will take the car and camera with them, unless they are an animal like a racoon or something.. you are correct could be interesting then..
Remember not all thieves are that smart.

What if someone tries to break in and steal as much as he can while in parking mode? Isn't that interesting piece of evidence?

I think it should be OPTIONAL for those who still want to have it on and not completely OFF as the only option in parking mode as you suggest.
In all honesty if loss is under, i think 5 grand, cops wont even bother nor will insurance provide you with anything either.. Maybe posting on facebook might help track the culprit but then what, you go to their place with a baseball bat ?

In all honesty if loss is under, i think 5 grand, cops wont even bother nor will insurance provide you with anything either.. Maybe posting on facebook might help track the culprit but then what, you go to their place with a baseball bat ?
Regardless of that, I think I would still like to know what happens in the interior of my car and perhaps the evidence is clear enough to see what the thief looks like.

If they were smart to begin with, don't think they be thieves in all honesty.
"In all honesty" you find a problem for every solution available it seems like. :rolleyes:

"In all honesty" you find a problem for every solution available it seems like. :rolleyes:
Indeed. Doing an engineering degree would do that to you. Think of everything as a problem even the solution to something could be a problem. Here is a good example, we used to travel at very slow pace using horses and carts etc. However the solution resulted in being a problem for the environment. Carbon emissions and all that jazz. So the need 4 speed problems solution created another problem. So in all honesty your statement is correct I find a problem for every solution available it seems.

Yep- nothing is perfect.

Locally there have been some "Porch Pirates" stealing packages who were caught after the victim mentioned the theft on Facebook etc and posted pics from their doorbell cams. Police aren't interested in doing the investigating work here, but they will act if you do the work for them.

And let's not forget that the interior cam also 'sees' some of the outside so I leave mine going with the A139.

Phil

Yep- nothing is perfect.

And let's not forget that the interior cam also 'sees' some of the outside so I leave mine going with the A139.

Phil
Exactly why I went for 3 channel I want to point interior cam toward passenger side windows. Capture that while driving or in parking mode. And get maybe another camera to cover the other side too. Viofo needs to come up with 4ch unit that be awesome.

A thief opened my car at night time in 2019, thanks to the interior cam, it record the thief face while he close the car door.
While he entered the car he had a hat and didn't look up, so the interior cam only caught the face while he left the car.

So different users have different requests, we need to add more settings and options. :giggle:

Indeed. Doing an engineering degree would do that to you. Think of everything as a problem even the solution to something could be a problem. Here is a good example, we used to travel at very slow pace using horses and carts etc. However the solution resulted in being a problem for the environment. Carbon emissions and all that jazz. So the need 4 speed problems solution created another problem. So in all honesty your statement is correct I find a problem for every solution available it seems.
Like all medications that are designeded to cure but also will bring you side effects and the potential of other issues, and the weapons that where created for defense but at the same time bring misery to innocent people, bla bla bla.
like I'm not aware of what you depicted in your analogy. I find that self conflicting.

ugh iphone :facepalm"

"It defaults to off is the correct term, the camera defaults to Wi-fi off each time."

No, it is not the correct term and I have just explained why. Default implies one predetermined CHOICE out of many. That's not what we have here.

The camera REVERTS to wifi off is the correct term, because it goes back to something other than what we set it up for.

When the camera defaults, you have a say in what that choice would be.

When the camera reverts, you don't.

What we have here is a particular behavior preprogrammed from the factory which we cannot change (the behavior) even if we tried.

I am talking about the ability to change the factory predetermined behavior (ON or OFF), not what the feature actually does (activate Wi-Fi).

I need BOTH the ability to start/stop WiFi at will and ALSO the ability to choose which status should be the default when I turn on the camera. We cannot do the latter. The factory/camera has made that decision for me, and that's not OK.

There is a difference between us manually turning a function on or off at will, and having the camera constantly assuming as predetermined choice the one it thinks we should have and not the one we want and respecting that preference.

It does not respect or consider my preference and decides for me.

I don't spend my money on a device so it will dictate to me how I have to use it or which settings I have to set up. That's for me to decide!

Default (n): a preselected option adopted by a computer program or other mechanism when no alternative is specified by the user or programmer.

This is the incorrect term because we don't have the ability to specify the alternative. There's no true alternative. It's a single choice: OFF.

To revert (v): return to (a previous state, practice, topic, etc.).

This is exactly what the camera does: always revert to its original status despite any changes we make.

"A setting would be to change the default option to default to on."

Agreed! We don't have that setting at all. There is nothing built into the firmware to tell the camera to always turn wifi on on boot up.

"Do you genuinely have to adjust your settings or view your screen every time you start your car?"

Absolutely Yes! You cannot project your own personal way of using the product unto others who may have different needs or their own ways of using the product.

I will explain why.

When I'm doing ridesharing, I don't need to activate 3 channel recording all the time. I don't need to activate the internal camera when I'm in between rides and there is no rider in my car.

I don't need to activate 3 channels when I'm off work and I'm driving myself, family or friends around on private driving. In both of those circumstances I only need front and back channels.

Those circumstances change back and forth multiple times during a typical day.

Recording a channel constantly when it isn't truly necessary consumes more power, generates more heat, wears out the camera more and shortens the useful life of the microSD card when we record and rerecord gigabytes of useless data (internal camera videos of empty seats).

I want to make sure that the camera is only writing to that card files that are necessary and relevant.

This is even more important considering the fact that the camera is limited to 256GB cards so we are forced to manage the space and retrieve files more often.

Ideally, we would need a simple button to switch back and forth between "Driver mode" (front and back) and "Rideshare mode" (all channels on) at will without having to fiddle with WiFi and using other phones or gadgets.

It's a waste of time we don't have when we are busy and the only way around it is to leave 3 channel on permanently, a less than ideal scenario. This is us users suffering from the technical limitations of the device and us adapting to the device when it should be the device adapting to our needs instead.

"Normal operation of a dash cam is you start your car and it starts to record... "

This is your own super simplified opinion about "normal operation". Normal operation is a lot more than that.

Normal operation is everything that we need to do to make the product work as intended, including settings, functions and controls, to produce the results we seek.

Everything and anything that I need to do, change, press, activate, deactivate, setup or configure so I end up with a useful video file at the end of the day is normal operation.

"On the occasion settings need to be checked or changed then you just turn on Wi-fi, it’s a button press and takes a matter of seconds to do, connect and open the app."

The WiFi procedure is an authentic torture, considering the fact that wiring is incredibly finicky. Cameras are constantly disconnecting and every time a camera goes offline you have to start the whole process all over again to visually confirm if they reconnected, or which one reconnected and which one didn't!

Just hearing "recording 2 channels" without actually seeing which ones are recording is not enough. These cables are atrocious and we don't know which camera is the one disconnected. If wiring was more reliable we wouldn't need a live view, but we can't trust these wires.

If I was to switch between 2 channel and 3 channel modes (Driver mode vs rideshare mode) as I would like and as efficient camera use would dictate, I wouldn't have the time to follow that convoluted wifi process so many times in the day. I'm way too busy for that!

That functionality needs to be programmed into a one touch button.
This camera has an optional Bluetooth button. Why not program that button to choose between video recording lock or video recording channel swap?

It's perfectly doable!

"ultimately if that’s not what you want then buy a different camera."

Out of the available choices in the market to satisfy Uber drivers needs, this the product that gets the closest, but it is still falling way short of expectations and needs to mature a lot to get there.
Excellent!! (y)

I will use the internal cam for capturing video thru the car side windows. Capture of anyone cpming near your car and what side etc. How good is the internal camera for this purpose? What about at night, is the infrared really good? What I want to do is capture anyone coming near my car. Front and rear cam records anyone coming toward the car from those angles and the internal cam to record what they are doing on the sides. Is this realistic with the A139 trio cam?

Back