New way to power dashcam

would just need a Micro USB version though
Ah I just noticed the one I posted was a Mini now that you said that. My mistake.

check your OBD port also, on some of them there's no room to put the cover back or it hangs down in the way, I know in my car I'd be kicking something like that with my foot where the port is mounted

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00ZWC0T8YHas anyone tried this device yet it seems new.There is not much info to go on in the description.
would just need a Micro USB version though

Have been keeping eye on this for many month.
Last week received 3 different models with MiniUSB plug ( straight and "wrong" angle ) and different main unit cabling routing design.
Same factories produce with MicroUSB plug as well, so the principles of work will me same.
When get more time I will test them.

OBD power supply.jpg

Here is one from Amazon US oddly enough it is also powering a DashCam in the pictures
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00WQSFLPS
They've lifted that picture from the Shadow GT880S advertising which does come in the box with an OBD-II adaptor for power and data reading.

It worked well while I tried it - for some reason the GT880S uses quite a heavy gauge cable - potentially shielding so it's thick and difficult to tuck in like you can with the thinner power cables (although on the flipside they can cause interference for some).

The Shadow version had a flip switch so you can switch between just powering the camera when you turn the car on or to supply permanent power (which from memory cuts at 11.6V)

I'm not sure what the wiring between the ECU and OBD-II port is generally rated at - if you go and blow that you're in big trouble! I've seen 3a mentioned which would be fine but I've also seen lower figures so not sure if there's a specific standard for that?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the wiring between the ECU and OBD-II port is generally rated at - if you go and blow that you're in big trouble! I've seen 3a mentioned which would be fine but I've also seen lower figures so not sure if there's a specific standard for that?

yeah that's a genuine concern I think given the way some stuff is made

Not poo-pooing the thread, but aside from the 15-min up-time after ACC turns off, what's the upside to using the OBDII port? Seems to me this is just going the long way around in trying to get to 12V power - something which the fuse box or ciggy lighter do without getting you so close to the CANBUS data circuits.

FWIW, for about USD17.00 (with free prime shipping) you can buy a 'timed relay' which will allow you to program a specific shut down delay after ACC drops. I installed one in all of my vehicles, powering for an additional hour after key is removed. That covers most scenarios where the cars are used for shopping and quick errands.

The delayed circuit then powers all of dash cameras, after-market radio, and other gadgets that I don't necessarily want shut off immediately with the key removal.

Not poo-pooing the thread, but aside from the 15-min up-time after ACC turns off, what's the upside to using the OBDII port? Seems to me this is just going the long way around in trying to get to 12V power - something which the fuse box or ciggy lighter do without getting you so close to the CANBUS data circuits.
In some cars connecting to the OBDII port is just very convenient. In mine, the port is under the steering wheel, slightly to the left (red circle on attachment) so powering up anything that you want to be on the left is just convenient.
Considering that the only cigarette lighter in the car is marked with green you can imagine why some people would want to use the OBD. I have additional USB port in the glove box thanks to the Dension Gateway Pro BT so I don't need it but it seems to me like a useful alternative if you don't want to play with your fusebox and have cables all around your ****pit.

Attachments

• Bild_10758_****pit_1600_k.jpg
    Bild_10758_****pit_1600_k.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 23
glad to know you guys like this new accessory.
The OBD hardware kit and dualUSB hardware kit just been started for one month, good quality but higher price, than the normal cheap hardware kits.
But the limit is the two hardware kits can only supply 1.6A for two cameras for now.

I admire you brave individuals who are installing this thing. There is no way I'd let any accessory have access to my Honda's OBD port. :)

And shouldn't Mr. Chan and his team be working on features and accessories we were promised when we all served up some of our hard earned cash for our mini 0806s?

FWIW, for about USD17.00 (with free prime shipping) you can buy a 'timed relay' which will allow you to program a specific shut down delay after ACC drops. I installed one in all of my vehicles, powering for an additional hour after key is removed. That covers most scenarios where the cars are used for shopping and quick errands.

erkme73, you really need to stop teasing me with this timed relay and show me the bloody thing. How about some pictures of your setup before you get arrested trying to explain that gizmo to local law enforcement. LOL

The power that is available on the ODBII is +12V/4A or 24V/2A - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics#OBD-II_diagnostic_connector
What is also interesting that for example in my car this voltage gets cut off 15 minutes after I lock it (when it goes to "sleep mode") so if you use OBD connector for powering your cam you get 15 minutes of "parking guard".

I will have to admit that I'm intrigued if the OBD does in fact provide an additional 15 minutes of power, but the manufacture needs to be aware that many American insurance companies are now using the OBD to monitor driving habits. Sure you give up some of your freedoms, but for me the savings were fairly substantial. Since I have the State Farm Drive Safe™ or In-Drive system installed on both of my cars, I would be unable to use this adapter even if I wanted to. https://www.in-drive.com/sf/#IL

Sounds great, but I wonder how much it'll cost me to send my CR-V to China when that device or my mini 0806 blows out my on board computer. :)

And yes, I'm just having fun with you guys. As you've already read, I use that port to save some money on my insurance.

Last edited:
Back