Newbie! Need helps/ intial set up for A119 V3

ladyleo65

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 V3
I will be using cigarette plug that Does not run continuously Only when engines on.
I am confused as too whether I need to worry setting up any Parking and motion detection mode settings. I have read only need if hardwired. Is this True?
This is how I have it set now. Haven't used it yet.

Res: 2560x1440 30fps
Bitrate: High
Loop rec: 3min
Video Format: mp4
EV -1/3

HDR: On ??
Parking Mode: auto ???
Enter parking mode timer: 90sec ???
Parking record duration : On ???
Parking G sensor: High????
Parking mode detect: Low ???
Time lapse recording: Off ??
Motion Detection: Off ???

Gps: On
Speed: mph
Date stamp: On
Gps info stamp: All
Camera Model: On
Audio: On
Screensaver: 1 min
Boot Delay: Off
Led: On
Frequency: 60hz
Everything with ???? Next to it I am Not sure how I need to set it up for just recording while driving.

It would be nice to habe motion detection in case I'm not in car at a store but not at home bc I gabe a lot traffic on my street.

Can anyone give me some tips on this So I can get it hooked up amd going. Thanks.

The problem here is that we all use different settings

I don't use parking mode and unlike most others I've stuck to firmware 1.03 because it serves my purpose better

Differences I have are (ignoring the parking mode area) :

EV 0
Boot Delay 5 secs
1.03 has WDR not HDR but I have WDR off
Frequency needs to be what your house mains is (the UK is 50hz)

Welcome to the forum ladyleo65.

I am Gentleman leo 66 :)

I can not recall with that model i have never tested myself, but if possible HDR is generally only wanted on at night, some systems now have a timer so that would change automatic in regard to some set time.
Yes if you do not have the hard wire kit then you can not use the parking guard features, so you could set that to off, but i dont think its a problem if it is on auto, at least not if your power source for the camera also turn off with the engine.
Enter parking mode times is a delay if you use that, if you do it is good CUZ if the change is instant as it can be, then you leaving the car and slamming the door would create a event.
If you do not use parking guard i think it do not matter what it is set to.
Parking record duration, that is the timer for parking guard, when i test this mode in systems i use this and set to 3 hours, this cover all my shopping and at home i have CCTV on the parked car.
As i recall this timer go as high as 48 hours, which is also about as long as a car battery will last in parking guard mode ( if you use that )
Parking G-sensor, that is the shock sensor for when parked, i have this on and set to high, though when i do test parking guard i prefer to use the low bitrate mode as it record all the time, but if ON diring parking guard mode the G-sensor will lock the event that caused the shock.
Parking mode detect i have no idea what is, if not using parking guard it should not matter.
time lapse recording, that is one of the parking guard modes, when using that the camera will record with 1-5-10-15 frames per second, like low bitrate it is so generate smaller parking guard files and generate as little internal heat as this is important when using parking guard in summer parked in the sum.
Motion detection is generally regarded as a failed parking mode, most often it will detect even the slightest movement in frame, and so it can risk recording all the time. And as motion detect record full quality video, in a busy place it would record that all the time more or less, and this in turn generate maximum heat inside.

Using parking guard, or just in general what you want it to not generate too many false events as that just waste memory card space, so for instance G-sensor ( when driving ) i have that off if i can or at least set to low sensitivity so it do not trigger too often-
The low bitrate a use for parking guard mode, and i assume time lapse will be the same, this parking guard modes are not really locked in the event folder, so when the memory card is full and this footage is now the oldest on the memory card it will get deleted to make room for new stuff.
Today the memory space set aside for events, well when that fill up those will also get deleted to make room for new stuff starting with the oldest stuff there, but fear not there is room for a lot, and even more so if you setup do not generate too many false events.

You should of course use a 256 GB memory card with your system even if it is just a single front camera, i use that size and systems with more cameras, but still with the little i drove ( 15-20 minutes daily on average ) i have footage going back 3 weeks
And in my event folder i have events going back months as it never really fill up as the only events i have is if i press the event button ( seeing as no one hit my car when i am parked where G-sensor would then kick in )

GPS info stamp, set to all it also put the GPS coordinate's in the image, i do not like that but prefer to just have the time/date + speed.

Of course is / when you use parking guard, you use power when parked so you can not do that forever, and you can not use parking guard for 23.5 hours every day and just drive 30 minutes, CUZ that is too little to fully recharge your car battery.

Also if you use parking guard, on the hard wire kit there is a switch with several positions, this select the low voltage cut off where the dashcam will be turned off so as not to deplete your car battery all the way.
12.2 Volts are the recommended minimum cut off, this is regarded as a 50 % depleted lead acid car battery, going lower will also start to eat into the life expectancy of your car battery as they are not meant to be discharged deeply, car batteries are more or less meant to be charged 100 % all the time.

Of course if you have a car with a old battery, that will of course play into for how long you can expect to run parking guard from a power perspective, the batteries do not last forever, also come in many sizes, mine if upgraded from 45 Ah to 55 Ah but it is still a very small one, a big truck ASO will often have much larger batteries, i even had a truck once which had 2 batteries, i assume the one was just for starting and the other was just for all the other stuff.

IF you have a drive way and park there i would recommend putting a CCTV camera on the car instead, there you can probably use motion detect but tell the system to ignore movement on the sidewalk or street in the background, a CCTV camera might also be able to just react to human shaped movement.

But for out and about on the town parking guard is nice, people today seem morally impaired, so if they slam their door into your car they will not care,,,, well at least not about your car
But as i have a small car with a small battery i prefer to use the timer, so the low Voltage cut off is never reached in my setup, and 3 hours is more than enough for my out and about needs.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean when you say Parking Guard. I do have 256 card. And cameras at my home.
So basically all parking features should be OFF?
And set Parking Record duration to 3hrs?

I have new battery. Just bought car 2months ago.

Very nice congratulations with your new Vehicle.

Parking guard / mode is the camera recording or being able to record while the car is off and parked, so if you do not use that right now but just want to record while you drive, then you can easy set everything related to parking guard / whatever to off, though i do think when you have set the overall parking guard ( i think that is what they call parking mode, see if there is a OFF option under that menu item ) to off, what else related to that should not matter what it is set to as the camera never get to that is its OFF

No parking duration is just if you use parking guard, this way time on the timer turn the camera OFF VS letting it be active as long as it can on the battery / cut off value on the hard wire kit. so leave that if you do not use parking guard right now.
I use it CUZ there is no reason to have parking guard on when i am parked at home where i have CCTV, also at home where i park, pitch black almost at night in the back yard, so a dashcam would not see much in the little light VS my CCTV camera on my 2 floor balcony door, it see everything clear as day.

I dont know how you plan to review footage, i have always put the memory card in my card reader on the PC, you can of course also use a phone and the WIFI with the viofo APP ( at least i think this model also have wifi ) it just seem so slow and troublesome to me personally + i hate to touch or just look at my phone
Anyway looking at footage you can always see what is going on, if there is a lot of clips in the event folder, this could mean a few things.
1: the G-sensor is on while you drive, or at a too sensitive setting, or your streets are in a very poor condition CUZ even on LOW a pothole will trigger a event, anyway these will of course be clips where you are driving.
2: you are using parking guard / mode, and in some way a lot of events are created automatic , this could be by the G-sensor / shock sensor or as i mentioned above using t he motion detect parking guard mode, if this is events while parked, well your car will be sitting still in all those events.

When i use a new camera i use the default settings, or that is if it is not default i make a few changes.

Segment size / duration i like to be 3 minutes, you can most often choose between 1-2-3-5-10 and 15 minutes here.
The image quality also some times just called bitrate must be Maximum, only the best is good enough for me.
Then i set my time Zone to get the correct time on the camera, right now that is the actual +1 hour in Denmark, but in the summer i have to change this to +2 hours as dashcams unlike our computers and telephones dashcams can not handle automatic change between summer and winter time.
Then i make sure GPS is on and display speed & time/date in the footage.
Then i make sure G- sensor / shock sensor are off ( if possible ) or set to low for when driving ( some cameras only have 1 setting for this also some times OFF is not a option, that then go for both when driving and when parked if you use parking guard / mode )
Now i have not really tested many of the new HDR enabled cameras, if that is there i would like it to be only on at night as explained above, hopefully there is a timer that can automate this CUZ i will not do it manually.
HDR use in daytime have some unfortunate side effects, it is not like it turn the video image into garbage, but this i understand can have a negative effect on very little things like licence plates captured,,,, or not by the system.
I think that is just about it for my settings in the very basic use mode not using parking guard / parking mode, so all other settings i just leave as they are.

So as you go along, keep a eye on your Event folder on the memory card, there should be as little as possible files in there, even if there is room for a lot, if that file is huge it just take memory space that could be used for your regular driving around.
Also when your memory card is full, have a look in the normal folder where your regular driving along video are, then you can see for how many days / weeks you have room for, just so you know and will not stress out if you 2-3 days later remember " O i need to save that things i saw 3 days ago " it should still be there and easy to find using the time/date names of the saved videos.

If you have a serious event in your car, well it dont matter if it is not locked in the event folder on the memory card, even if you are unconscious in your car, the first thing first time responders should do is turn off your car, which will of course prevent your system from recording any more.

If you have had a smaller fender bender, and the other part is not behaving like a civilized, well i would turn the key so the motor stop in your car, but not all the way, this way the camera should still be recording, and if you can leave a door or window open, it might also record any sound, for the same reason if you can only talk to the other part while close to your car.
Of course you can also whip out your phone and record with that, but ´that tend to provoke some people, so best if all remain as calm as possible.

Also i would not mention you have a camera to the other part, his insurance or a court will learn that when that time come, and what any attending police officer might think what have happened, well it is guess work VS your video of what actually happened.
In Denmark police generally only attend if they need to come and direct traffic around your cars or there have been bodily damage and ambulances are also there.
Otherwise with a small fender bender you are supposed to get your car out of the way on your own, so traffic can proceed.

Do play around with your new system, it can not be damaged by any silly setting, and there is a reset to default settings option in the bottom of the menu.

And remember in here there is no stupid questions, there are many questions asked before, but we can handle that too.

Last edited:
Back