Newbie request for help with settings for dash cam.

A 15000 mah external battery is the minimum needed. Anything less could damage your camera and your car. I would suggest testing with that battery and then buying a bigger and better battery for security reasons. It's Completely necessary!

How's that?;) Show that to your wife to help convince her to get you more batteries. None of it is true, of course, you don't need an external battery. Most times the internal is enough. I left a gap so you can hide this part from your wife:p

Wish the camera was a bit wider but the B lens seems a bit too much.

A lens HFOV = 86deg. B lens HFOV (Wide Setting) = 116deg. B lens HFOV (Narrow Setting) = 102deg.

Perhaps B lens 'narrow setting' is in your 'Goldilocks' zone? Reduced fisheye effect is a fringe benefit.

Last edited:
A 15000 mah external battery is the minimum needed. Anything less could damage your camera and your car. I would suggest testing with that battery and then buying a bigger and better battery for security reasons. It's Completely necessary!

What's the source of the 15000mAh minimum? I ask because my 13000mAh Anker Astro E4 fails to meet the minimum requirement, yet appears to be capable of powering Mobius for over 20 hours. It powered mine overnight in a hotel car park, & is in frequent use when the car is parked unattended.

For people wanting to use Mobius as an action cam, I don't see why they cannot use a small external battery to extend the internal battery's 80 minute duration, e.g...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B005X1Y7I2

Last edited:
What's the source of the 15000mAh minimum? I ask because my 13000mAh Anker Astro E4 fails to meet the minimum requirement, yet appears to be capable of powering Mobius for over 20 hours. It powered mine overnight in a hotel car park, & is in frequent use when the car is parked unattended.

For people wanting to use Mobius as an action cam, I don't see why they cannot use a small external battery to extend the internal battery's 80 minute duration, e.g...

Sorry off topic. It was a joke because Grimm said he had to convince his wife to allow him new toys. I wrote that to help him get more toys. I put the correct answer below it.

Any battery will do, as long as it outputs 1A. I just use the internal, for mall runs it's plenty. Sorry I will try to stay on topic :oops:

Sorry off topic. It was a joke because Grimm said he had to convince his wife to allow him new toys.:oops:

I got the joke but before the edit I can see where people may not. Havent you learned the internet rule yet? Joke/sarcasm must end with a smiley or wink!

What's the source of the 15000mAh minimum?

To answer the question anyway, its an Anker Astro E5. Both USBs beyond the spec. There was a powerguard(?) that was cheaper but was below spec so I bought the higher priced anker.

Actually the wife insisted! Seems filling her head with "geek talk" over and over = her saying yes out of loss of will to live.

EDIT- After thinking about what GJHS said about MD and leaving the camera on external power I decided to try that first. I was able to cancel my order on the Anker 5 :)

Perhaps B lens 'narrow setting' is in your 'Goldilocks' zone? Reduced fisheye effect is a fringe benefit.

Yes that may have worked better. It is really hard to judge what you need till you get the cam in the car. That was my biggest dilemma, which lens to buy. For now I'll stick with the A but I could always buy a B lens and swap in future. But I may buy a different dash cam for front in the not so distant future and I think the A works well in the back. In the back I had it first hanging from the ceiling looking out which was fine but putting it behind the middle seats headrest allowed for a view of the back window and cargo space which is a plus for when I park in a lot in NYC. Also no distraction from the cam at all.

EDIT- "problem" solved. With some of the money I didnt use on the Anker I bought another mobius car kit from Novotm (buymobius.com), this time a B lens. So B in the front A in the back. Now to tell the wife. Easier still I will just say yes when she wants to buy somethings of equal (or more, most likley more) value. Now on to the next car, which I can at least hard wire with no warranty worries :)

Last edited:
Does the power-off disconnect 10secs disconnect no matter what? What I mean is if I lose power but return power <10sec does it sense the power and continue working or does it shut down after 10 secs no matter what happens to the power?

Does the power-off disconnect 10secs disconnect no matter what? What I mean is if I lose power but return power <10sec does it sense the power and continue working or does it shut down after 10 secs no matter what happens to the power?
The camera will respect the 10 sec. timeout. If you re-apply power within the 10 secs. the camera will continue recording until the next power loss where it will, once again, respect the full 10 secs.

Sweet! Thanks Isoprop!

Been having some trouble with my external battery which is plugged into the car lighter and both mobius' are plugged into it. When I cut power the external continues to power the mobius' for "parking mode". When I put the car back on the external continues to power the mobius' but gets power from the cig lighter. However, a few times, I have turned back on the car and the mobius' both have turned off! The external was charging but wasnt supplying power to the mobius'. Unplugging&replugging both usb's made them work again.

Not sure if it's a mobius or external power thing that happens but I am thinking the 10secs time out would help if it worked as I hoped.

Sweet! Thanks Isoprop!

Been having some trouble with my external battery which is plugged into the car lighter and both mobius' are plugged into it. When I cut power the external continues to power the mobius' for "parking mode". When I put the car back on the external continues to power the mobius' but gets power from the cig lighter. However, a few times, I have turned back on the car and the mobius' both have turned off! The external was charging but wasnt supplying power to the mobius'. Unplugging&replugging both usb's made them work again.

Not sure if it's a mobius or external power thing that happens but I am thinking the 10secs time out would help if it worked as I hoped.
Same here after MD. Starting the car turns the Mobius off.

@GJHS
is that all the time? Hard wired or external battery?

I didnt change the setting yet but it didnt happen today...

@GJHS
is that all the time? Hard wired or external battery?

I didnt change the setting yet but it didnt happen today...
Mine is powered off the cigarette lighter. Yes 90% of the time it's running in MD, it will turn off when I start the car

Mine is powered off the cigarette lighter. Yes 90% of the time it's running in MD, it will turn off when I start the car
Im guessing you are using an always on cig lighter? I think i remember a hidden cig lighter in your Car.

I guess there is some sort of power interrupt happening when starting the car. Just for a moment but that must be enough of a voltage drop for the mobius to decide that its power off time. Thats what I am guessing.

Does the same thing happen with other devices? SAT/NAV etc. Of course they may not be as sensitive to the voltage drop so not the best test.

I wonder why it only happens 90% of the time and not 100%.

What year is your Camry? We inherited a 2000 with <15,000 miles on it. Was actually driven by an old lady to go to the local grocery store and back home! I dont know if any of the cig lighters are always on, or if there is a hidden one. I'll have to get all Sherlock on it now.

Im guessing you are using an always on cig lighter? I think i remember a hidden cig lighter in your Car.

I guess there is some sort of power interrupt happening when starting the car. Just for a moment but that must be enough of a voltage drop for the mobius to decide that its power off time. Thats what I am guessing.

Does the same thing happen with other devices? SAT/NAV etc. Of course they may not be as sensitive to the voltage drop so not the best test.

I wonder why it only happens 90% of the time and not 100%.

What year is your Camry? We inherited a 2000 with <15,000 miles on it. Was actually driven by an old lady to go to the local grocery store and back home! I dont know if any of the cig lighters are always on, or if there is a hidden one. I'll have to get all Sherlock on it now.
No it's on a VW with cigarette lighter plugs that come on when you turn the key. MD for me is from the internal battery. It must be when the camera senses external power

I have also found that low sensitivity is the best. It captures cars and people and skips trees moving or light changes

The discussion of external power supplies is interesting, particularly because just yesterday I came across an interesting hundred dollar gadget called the "PowerAll". It's similar to some other products on the market except that it can jump start a car and has two 2.1 Amp USB outlets. Curiously, it is only around 12,000 mAh but it claims to crank 400 Amps of jump starting power. Now that I've had two successful days of running a Mobius with a super-cap the idea of unattended parking mode (and perhaps temporary surveillance out on my property) seems intriguing. There's a competing 13800 mAh product at the same price called the PowerGo . Actually, the Anker Astro E5 seems appealing as it seems to provide similar capabilities at half the price. (No jump starting though:()

PowerAll

Last edited:
I have also found that low sensitivity is the best. It captures cars and people and skips trees moving or light changes
So far I have mine on high, which is just too much for the day time but at night it has a hard time picking things up when parked. When driving at night the front camera is fine but the back doesnt go on till a car is much, much closer. This is on a dark highway with no lights other then the car's own. If on low I'm afraid the car would have to be eating my muffler for the mobius to see it...

I may go back to med...

With MD on internal battery that was happening to me most of the time as well. Unplug replug...Have you tried it on regular video on internal battery and then put the car on?

@Dashmellow- So far my Anker 16000 is doing well. I dont think any of them have an off switch. They sense when a USB cord is removed and power down after about 1min. Other then having to unplug, wait, replug 1x at the end of my driving day it's working well so far. Will be changing over to super caps soon and hope things will go smoothly.

Last edited:
So far I have mine on high, which is just too much for the day time but at night it has a hard time picking things up when parked. When driving at night the front camera is fine but the back doesnt go on till a car is much, much closer. This is on a dark highway with no lights other then the car's own. If on low I'm afraid the car would have to be eating my muffler for the mobius to see it...

I may go back to med...

With MD on internal battery that was happening to me most of the time as well. Unplug replug...Have you tried it on regular video on internal battery and then put the car on?

@Dashmellow- So far my Anker 16000 is doing well. I dont think any of them have an off switch. They sense when a USB cord is removed and power down after about 1min. Other then having to unplug, wait, replug 1x at the end of my driving day it's working well so far. Will be changing over to super caps soon and hope things will go smoothly.
It sounds as if different setting work for different times in MD. I think keeping it in loop and then setting MD up with your phone before you leave the car is the ideal set up now until/if they come with a way to change settings from the camera. Again this is ideal and not for the set and forget crowd.

If you decide to try the Android app, I bought my OTG for $5 bucks from B&H on 34th. I could send you the link. Or maybe you prefer to avoid that amazing candy store

I haven't tried it in normal recording yet.

It sounds as if different setting work for different times in MD. I think keeping it in loop and then setting MD up with your phone before you leave the car is the ideal set up now until/if they come with a way to change settings from the camera. Again this is ideal and not for the set and forget crowd.

If you decide to try the Android app, I bought my OTG for $5 bucks from B&H on 34th. I could send you the link. Or maybe you prefer to avoid that amazing candy store

I haven't tried it in normal recording yet.

Well, I just want to see if it happens in normal mode so we can see if it's just a MD issue. I suspect it will happen in all modes.

Thanks but no android so no love for me. I may have to cart my old dell mini around for changes.

B&H is a hole Ive yet to climb out of btw :)

From what I can tell, both the PowerAll and the PowerGo do have dedicated on-off buttons which I would prefer as I wouldn't want these gadgets to get any funny ideas about monkeying with the on-off settings if they got pissed off or something. Both PowerAll and PowerGo are rated up to 140F operating temps which I like as well. Anker doesn't seem to publish this rating for some reason. I wonder how Anker can offer this at half the price as all these products would require more or less similar components except for the extra stuff they throw in?.....Just found the PowerGo on eBay for $89.95 though.

So far my Anker 16000 is doing well. I dont think any of them have an off switch. They sense when a USB cord is removed and power down after about 1min.

The switch on my Anker Astro E4 does power it off when held down for about 5 seconds.

Back