Newbie request for help with settings for dash cam.

thomo59

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am a new Mobius owner and wanted to ask for some guidance regarding the settings via mSetup that are best when using the camera as a dash cam. Have searched on here but can not find a simple answer, however appologies if I have missed it. Just for info the camera is loaded with version 1.17 firmware and I have replaced the battery with a super capacitor and it has the standard lens.

Please can other users who have better knowledge advice the best settings for the following:

Wide dynamic range: off/on/low light ?
Video frame rate: 30 fps or 60 fps ?
Video resolution: 1080p or 720p ?
Field of view: narrow or wide ?

Finally any changes that need to be made via the 'Advanced Image Settings' ?

I have tested the camera using a Samsung 32gb class 6 card and when reviewing the footage on my laptop noticed that sometimes the flow of it is not smooth and looks like it jumps frames or frames freeze for a split second every so often. Does this sound like an issue with the SD card or the settings? Have ordered a Kingston class 4 card now and awaiting it but just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

Many thanks in advance.

Wide dynamic range: off/on/low light ?
Video frame rate: 30 fps or 60 fps ?
Video resolution: 1080p or 720p ?
Field of view: narrow or wide ?

I have tested the camera using a Samsung 32gb class 6 card and when reviewing the footage on my laptop noticed that sometimes the flow of it is not smooth and looks like it jumps frames or frames freeze for a split second every so often.

I suggest...
WDR: On
Low Light: Off (causes overexposure in daylight)
1080p
30fps
FoV: Wide

Good to see another Mobius capacitor-user.

Playback issues on your laptop are not caused by Mobius. Copy the files from Mobius to laptop before playback. If still not smooth, try VLC. If still not smooth, try the K–Lite Codec Pack.

The choice of settings is subject to what each person likes, but here's my feelings:

Wide dynamic range: off/on/low light ? WDR ON
Video frame rate: 30 fps or 60 fps ? 30 FPS, there's no need for 60 FPS
Video resolution: 1080p or 720p ? 1080P, unless you want maximum time on a card for some reason, then 720P for maximum time.
Field of view: narrow or wide ? Wide.

Finally any changes that need to be made via the 'Advanced Image Settings' ? For now leave it alone, if you love doing tests, you might try out different things.

Bob Diaz

I recently bought a Mobius for dashcam use.

For loop mode, between the choice of 3-minute and 5-minute intervals, I've chosen 5 minutes. Would anyone argue for 3 minutes?

I'm sticking with a battery rather than a supercap, because I want to be able to remove the camera and continue to capture video. For example, if I'm ever caught up in a traffic incident, it might be good to get out of the car and capture exterior images.

I prefer 3 minute clips, as I find it easier to locate a specific event within a shorter file. How about trying 5 minutes for a week, then 3 minutes the next week, then review & decide?

Most people have phones with inbuilt cameras that can capture exterior images. You'll have to replace the battery in due course, so why not get the capacitor now from Banggood while it's only $5.99. Plus, discount code b185f7 knocks an additional 5% off any product across the site.

For loop mode, between the choice of 3-minute and 5-minute intervals, I've chosen 5 minutes. Would anyone argue for 3 minutes?

I'm sticking with a battery rather than a supercap, because I want to be able to remove the camera and continue to capture video. For example, if I'm ever caught up in a traffic incident, it might be good to get out of the car and capture exterior images.
I chose 5 minute because I read somewhere it's not easy on the camera to constantly make/save a file while still recording. I also like that when I lock a file I get a good amount of time before and after. This way if all the other files have been written over, I still have a good frame of the incident. I would imagine 3 mins isn't a big difference, so it's really down to preference.

As far as battery, I agree with Dogwood. I like being able to take the camera out and record, I use mine as more of an action cam/dash cam. I recently used it to record a really cool giant indoor market, where if I used my phone it would have attracted too much attention and might have been stolen. I just held it in my hand and no one even saw it. Same I imagine in an accident, you could put the Mobius in your hand and just film without the other party knowing rather than coming out of the car pointing a phone everywhere. You may be able to capture an admission of fault.

I also went to a birthday party out in the country, left my camera home and used the Mobius. People couldn't believe it was really a video camera and were amazed later at how sharp the video was. I know I will have to replace the battery yet it's only a few bucks and I'm having fun with my little camera.

Everyone uses the Mobius different, good to hear all the ways and settings people use. It helps us learn and maximize our cameras. Russ helped me set mine back from High Bitrate to Standard, since they both look the same, and get more time on my card.

...I recently used it to record a really cool giant indoor market, where if I used my phone it would have attracted too much attention and might have been stolen. I just held it in my hand and no one even saw it. Same I imagine in an accident, you could put the Mobius in your hand and just film without the other party knowing rather than coming out of the car pointing a phone everywhere...
Yeah, the ability to be "stealthy" could be essential under the sort of tense or even threatening circumstances in the wake of an incident.

There's been some discussion of battery life, which of course will vary based upon use and environment. Is there generic advice for scheduled battery replacement...once a year or the like?

Since this is a newbie thread I will throw out some newbie questions:

Power-off Disconnect. I was planning on about 10sec so when I turn off the car I can switch the usb to a external power supply when out shopping, etc so it should give me enough time so no interrupted video. Picked up an Anker Astro E5 (15000mAh) for that purpose.

Plan is to have forward and eventually rear cam left running like I was driving (loop) and to inspect my vehicle before entering. If I find something I may swap the disk or just wait till I get home depending on time (32gig cards in each cam).

Anyone see any problems?

No, on this car I can not hard wire.

Since this is a newbie thread I will throw out some newbie questions:

Power-off Disconnect. I was planning on about 10sec so when I turn off the car I can switch the usb to a external power supply when out shopping, etc so it should give me enough time so no interrupted video. Picked up an Anker Astro E5 (15000mAh) for that purpose.

Plan is to have forward and eventually rear cam left running like I was driving (loop) and to inspect my vehicle before entering. If I find something I may swap the disk or just wait till I get home depending on time (32gig cards in each cam).

Anyone see any problems?

No, on this car I can not hard wire.
If your referring to the Mobius, parking mode would be done via Motion Detect mode. In that case interruption is not important. After the car/external power stops, just hit the power button to turn it on and enter Motion Detect.

The camera would actually be in MD full time, yet with a 30 sec timeout should record complete without turning off when driving. When I switched to a 5 sec timeout, the camera would stop recording in traffic or long red lights.

If you're referring to full time normal loop recording, same as driving, then in my opinion it's recording too much blank space and is unnecessary. MD with high sensitivity works great in my tests and produces smaller clips for things like passing cars and people.

I read about MD. A bit worried about the reliability when driving, the mobius not recording because of nothing happening, then sensing something then coming back on but missing a few seconds because of the inherent delay.

I was thinking of just leaving the camera recording like driving except I would be parked. Yes, there would be a lot of useless stuff recorded, but there is always a lot of useless stuff recorded. Its only when we need the footage that it becomes useful.

For my driving and parking habits (not long,not much) I dont think using it the way I intend will unduly strain the mobius.

I will revisit MD and will test it. But at a later time after I get going with the basic functions. Thanks GJHS!

I read about MD. A bit worried about the reliability when driving, the mobius not recording because of nothing happening, then sensing something then coming back on but missing a few seconds because of the inherent delay.

I was thinking of just leaving the camera recording like driving except I would be parked. Yes, there would be a lot of useless stuff recorded, but there is always a lot of useless stuff recorded. Its only when we need the footage that it becomes useful.

For my driving and parking habits (not long,not much) I dont think using it the way I intend will unduly strain the mobius.

I will revisit MD and will test it. But at a later time after I get going with the basic functions. Thanks GJHS!
As I said, set to 30 sec timeout everything worked perfect. No gaps in driving recording and MD parking worked great. I set it to a 5 sec timeout to record less useful stuff in MD parking, yet it affected driving and there were a lot of gaps. As you can see I'm still in my perfect setup testing as well.

Second option, if you have an Android phone and can run the Mobius App, is to just set MD using the app before you leave the car. It takes only a second to do and would give you the best of both worlds. I'm testing that next, so will give you a report later.

Just the basic worry about missing something I guess. Even something interesting away from my car ;)

I will re-read the MD thread and your observations sometime next week or so and test it as well (and report back in that thread). Still waiting on AV cable* (to help with setup) and dual lock (I ran out) so I havent been able to install it yet. I could clamp it on the dash with a manfrotto clamp or magic arm but if I leave a mark I'll hear about it forever from The Lord. Of course adding the dashcam will help when we have arguments over who said what but I am sure she will get out of being wrong somehow. Probably she will turn it around to, "You told me you would turn the mic off! You Bastard! I'm taking the kids and house and you can live on the street with the rest of your hobo family! Why I ever took you in from living in that boxcar I have no idea! Take your stick and your red hanky and leave!"

No Android phone. :(

Best option would be FW that allowed you to drive in regular loop mode and then push one of the buttons to switch over to MD, then push a button again to switch back. I am sure none of this would be "easy" as so many non-programmers proclaim, and since dashcam use is an after thought it may never come about but it would be nice.

*Edit- AV cable came as I was typing. That was fast! Ill have to do a post on Novotm.

Last edited:
Best option would be FW that allowed you to drive in regular loop mode and then push one of the buttons to switch over to MD, then push a button again to switch back.

That's how I would like it to function, but I doubt that it will be implemented. I hope to be proven wrong.

That's how I would like it to function, but I doubt that it will be implemented. I hope to be proven wrong.

If somehow we could conceive of a reason to have this functionality in an RC plane...

Me too, though I think we can make it happen if it can realistically hardware/firmware happen.

Of course adding the dashcam will help when we have arguments over who said what but I am sure she will get out of being wrong somehow. Probably she will turn it around to, "You told me you would turn the mic off! You Bastard! I'm taking the kids and house and you can live on the street with the rest of your hobo family! Why I ever took you in from living in that boxcar I have no idea! Take your stick and your red hanky and leave!
I have learned that locking a file in the middle of an argument is akin to slapping her in the face with a glove and declaring war! Now I have learned to "allow" those arguments to be written over as a peace offering.

I have learned that locking a file in the middle of an argument is akin to slapping her in the face with a glove and declaring war! Now I have learned to "allow" those arguments to be written over as a peace offering.

Haven't thought about that! Slap? That would be a hit with a baseball bat to my wife. I would have to say that I saw something up ahead that looked interesting....She won't buy that...Hmmmm. Guess I have to note the time and go through all the recordings and hope that one didnt get erased.

I know I wont ever win an argument with my wife, I just like believing that someday I will. We all need a little hope...

Haven't thought about that! Slap? That would be a hit with a baseball bat to my wife. I would have to say that I saw something up ahead that looked interesting....She won't buy that...Hmmmm. Guess I have to note the time and go through all the recordings and hope that one didnt get erased.

I know I wont ever win an argument with my wife, I just like believing that someday I will. We all need a little hope...
One argument was so heated that locking the file resulted in a slap! She didn't slap me she slapped the camera :eek:

Since we have derailed this thread beyond all hope...

Is your mobius hardwired GJHS or do you use an external battery?

Since we have derailed this thread beyond all hope...

Is your mobius hardwired GJHS or do you use an external battery?
Neither, I use the internal battery. 80 minutes so far has been sufficient

Neither, I use the internal battery. 80 minutes so far has been sufficient

Ah. With motion detection? Saves on power I gather not running the video all the time.

If I did that I wouldnt have convinced the wife that we needed a 15000 mah external battery and I wouldnt get to play with a new gadget :)

On track with this thread: Set up the mobius this very night.
Found that the front window is weirdly slanted so I had to mount under the rearview bracket. To the left or right interfered with the rearview mirror.

The dual lock came today as well so I used the sticky mount to dual lock. Made a few dual lock "attachment pads" using the sticky mount as a guide. Attached 1 pad to front window then camera and mount to pad. Works great. Just pull to remove mount and camera and attach elsewhere.

The video line out cable is a must for installing. Without it I would have gone crazy.

9 feet of usb is not long enough for a clean install but for now a messy install will do unless the wife complains. (Want to make a bet).

Wish the camera was a bit wider but the B lens seems a bit too much. May pick up another dashcam (newer version mini 0801?) and put the mobius in the rear.

Another mobius on the passenger side pointed at the drivers window seems a good idea for traffic stops.

Actually I cant think of a place I dont want to stick a small camera inside and outside my car.

This new addiction can get expensive...

Last edited:
Back