Newbie with an interesting question.... unable to find concrete answer.

honhon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all... newbie here... trying to get some information prior to doing my order....

My plan is the

Mobius Actioncam in my 2014 forte koup turbo and possible an additional unit in my wife's optima

im debating on the mounting system... i saw a picture from when someone removed a suction cup mount for a transponder at a race track when they went to a track day... and it cracked his windshield when he took it off...

is this a common issue? also i have a tint stripe at the top of the windshield so i dont know if the tint will also affect the suction cup?

ive been debating to make go with a rear view mirror (handle bar style) mount

also, i cant find concrete answers on power.... my first plan was the original idea of the cig lighter plug, but then i eventually found myself looking up 12v to 5v converters with a male mini USB plug coming out it... meaning you wire it into 12v and then it puts out 5v of the mini usb powering the camera...

i saw where some people have wired this type of unit into the power of the moon roof system, which my wife's optima has and i know the power draw will be minimal from the camera on that system...

but with my car, the only switched power i have is the homelink powered mirror with the auto dimming and programmable buttons.

so my question is this... does the mobius draw little enough power to where i can use the homelink powered mirror power and ground?

i saw a few vehicle specific forums where someone did it, but i would rather come to a forum where all the talk is about the cameras to get as much knowledge as i can prior to placing my order.

thank you for any and all help, i did search and the search function is great, but i didnt see anyone talking about specifics for what i was looking for.

not sure about the electrical question, but the suction cup shouldn't break it, a lot of members go to a track (@CheckYourLights I believe is one) and you can use the lens extender to mount the body somewhere else and the lens on the windshield

I wouldnt think the suction cup thing would be an issue, i think it was just the random time for that person... im sure if there was an issue it would be more apparent with all the suction cups out there that are holding GPS units and Iphones etc... but i wasnt sure...

ive come across some people tapping into their "switched" power off their powered mirrors for their radar detectors and im sure that a radar detector draws more power than the mobius...

another issue ive thought of is that i think my idea of tapping off the homelink mirror and putting the converter above the sunglass holder it may get too hot sitting just under the roof skin... so i may have to go the route of installing a "hardwire" setup and then having a longer mini usb cord go up the a-pillar then across the roof under the head liner then out to the camera....

so many ideas... but i want to hammer them out before i order and i want to make sure that i can order soon because some of the parts have to come from far far away just for good prices lol

Mobius current draw is around 500mA, briefly rising to nearer 1000mA when writing data to the micro SD card.

For reliable operation, Mobius needs 5v 1A.

I monkeyed around with converters, connectors, tapping wires in the overhead console and winding up the mile of wire that comes with most adaptors until I realized that wire is long enough to reach the fusebox.

Months ago i connected the radar detector, front and rear cams to loose 12 volt sockets wired to a common "add a fuse" on a circuit energized with the ignition and grounded on a stud with used be the car's harness. All wires hidden under trim. Haven't touched it since. Tomorrow I may add the GPS.

i was kinda leaning towards just biting the bullet and doing the common "hard wire" converter box with the long mini usb cord and just running it up the pillar and across the inside of the headliner

I don't know why. but suction cups aren't known for being able to stick to factory tinted glass. 3M or very similar ( quality ) tape is best for tinted windows

^ i found a thread about the 3m tape, so im probably gonna go that route and make my own wedge bracket

my friend broke is windshield while sticking a suction cup mount for his radar detector on his front windshield. it cracked from him pushing it on.

it was also below zero Fahrenheit so it was really really cold.

so thats extreme cold, and the example i saw was extreme 100+ F heat, so for normal or avg temps suction cups should be good. but ill probably still go rear view mount or custom wedge mount

well... i ordered my stuff.. mobius cam, class 4 32gb kinston micro sd, handlebar mount so i can mount it to my rear view mirror

and i went ahead with the longer hardwire 5v converter, ill just pop the apillar trim off to run the wire and be done with it

so hopefully soon ill get my parts together, i ordered from ebay from the big seller of the mobius on ebay, the ebay stats say they've sold 16k+ of the cameras on ebay, i wanted to order from buymobius.com but the website was down and i didnt know when it was gonna come back up and i didnt want to pass by the window of oppurtunity when my wife gave me the thumbs up to order lol

the 5v converter is coming from the us though, so i can probably install that right away and then when the camera comes it'll be a quicker setup

also, ill be doing a picture thread when i install it in my forte koup...

well i got my installation done, i didnt have the camera so i couldnt do any install pics....

but i did use the bicycle mount for the rear view mirror as i have the homelink mirror and the mirror mount is thicker than normal mirror mounts so it mounted nice and tight... the camera hangs just below the mirror so i can confirm that it is recording... its not too distracting while driving and sense i live in florida, i decided to pick up some memory heatsinks and i stuck it on the mobius heatsinks...

pretty satisfied with the installation and the performance of the camera

Post some pictures please.

during my son's nap tomorrow, ill snap some pictures.

Quick pic while waiting to pick up my daughter from school.

Attachments

• IMG_20140916_140124_274.jpg
    IMG_20140916_140124_274.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 21
My friend and I put the little heatsink on his and mine BC we live in Florida and it can get rather warm.

wel the camera has been running well, i decided to check the recordings today when i came across a horrible driver

i was doing about 54mph, had to slow down b/c a car was passing and either had bad depth perception or just didnt care to hit the gas peddle. you can click watch on youtube button right of the video then go full screen if you want.

i have the dynamic range turned on. i may need to mess with the settings to get better clarity during the dark hours, sense there isnt many street lamps around me and i go to work around 4am

Back