Newbie with car keyed problems

john ward

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys having issues with some idot keying my car, mostly at night whilst parked on driveway, which is the best cam for recording whilst parked up for a few days,have a budget £100

If you're at home can you put a camera outside pointed at the car?

yeah thought about that but my wife's not convinced its happening in the driveway possibly at my place of work

Unless they key your car and or come in to view on the camera, chances are good you won't be able to catch them with just 1 camera. Unless they always key the same spot. Cameras can be hardwired to the battery for lengthy recording, you'd want to get one that can hold a card of at least 64GB, depending on the camera that should record for 5 hours ish (longer if you record in 720.) The hardwired kit I bought is meant to prevent drain to the battery to a certain V, haven't tried it out, but if you drive it everyday it should prevent it from happening.

been having a look around at my options, and was kinda leaning towards the modius c2 possibly one for each end of the car , i have an older model santa fe and was going to mount one on the rear brake light cluster which is attached to the rear window and have it pointing inwards looking at the back of the drivers head , hopefully it might catch a image of the culprits being lower down

That's a good option. The C2 will make everything appear smaller and further away in order to have a wider view. I think you're onto something with having it point from one end of the car to the other.

been having a look around at my options, and was kinda leaning towards the modius c2 possibly one for each end of the car , i have an older model santa fe and was going to mount one on the rear brake light cluster which is attached to the rear window and have it pointing inwards looking at the back of the drivers head , hopefully it might catch a image of the culprits being lower down

I had a rear mounted Mobius B facing forward for a while. The C2 has a wider field of view, but this may give you an idea of what to expect ...

image.jpg

Mounted like that you will only see who is keying your car if he lean over to closely inspect his damage, or if he is a mean dwarf or maybe a guy in a wheelchair.

Is it all over the car or do the vandal have a favorite side / end of the car ?

I'd agree. You could install them lower down, like on a headrest rail; someone used an L bracket and zip ties to do this. You'll probably have to play around with it a bit, see what gives you the best view.

Problem is if you have the camera facing too much up, then the bright sky might force the camera to use a setting that will make it quite hard to make out what the vandal look like.
But things like WDR and HDR might help in this regard, so i would use a camera that have one or both of those things, and all new cameras have at least WDR

I think Russ was trying to entrap 'frog air freshener' thieves by leaving that window partially open, and pointing the cam at it.

frog2.jpg

The FAQ thing I was thinking of is kind of a sticky 'start here' thread that answers the more common questions, or misconceptions. (with links to previous discussions on this site)

Would keep people on this site longer, and maybe give some of them the ability to 'fine tune' the questions they have a bit.
Yeah, only a few would bother to read them or search them.
:)

Hmmm... cheers guys i can see the problems mounting up, I'll keep you posted on how I got on once, I've decided which cameras to go for

Age old problem age old techmoan inability to have vision and foresight...( fit a dashcam guys, but I can break into your car from the back or sides as demonstrated and what dumb ass would not even consider the possibility of fitting others to cover sides and back and make a video with one camera. durrrr ! )

If you gave techmoan a pencil he would do a video showing someone drawing with it and miss the fact you could write with it !!

Obviously a 2 camera system determines anyone approaching from front or rear will be captured on cam ...and limits who is able to approach from the side.

Add 2 side Mobius and you have 360 ..

you would have to be disguised to touch my car day or night and anyone else's

HaHa
Cheers Pete 4 cameras in a car you're taking the p--s, perhaps if it was a Ferrari, but on a 10 year old motor its not viable, for me a car is only transport, but for others it's so much more. still has me mad that some prick goes out of their way just to stick to you without having the balls to confront you. I,ll work something out with 2 cameras, latest idea is to mount the rear camera under the centre headrest pointing upwards. keep the ideas coming guys, really do appreciate all the comments.

Back