Next Viofo Cam

Maybe it could be a good options to people there want a simple and small camera at the back of the car, with easy access from the phone.

OCD Tronic will have the VIOFO WR1 in stock this month. (all sales channels) Shipment will be en route starting next week. We'll open pre-orders as soon as we are 100% certain there are no unexpected freight delays.

not 100% it will be that good at night time compared to the G1W-s as this new WR1 as only a F1.8 aperture, where the Viofo G1W-S as a F1.6 (lower the aperture the better)

not 100% it will be that good at night time compared to the G1W-s as this new WR1 as only a F1.8 aperture, where the Viofo G1W-S as a F1.6 (lower the aperture the better)

good luck picking the difference between an f/1.6 and f/1.8 lens, there's a lot more to an end result than just numbers

good luck picking the difference between an f/1.6 and f/1.8 lens, there's a lot more to an end result than just numbers

Yeah, numbers don't tell you much when it comes to comparisons. Two different lens with the same aperture and focal length can have vastly different characteristics and performance.

I'm gonna have to buy an extra lottery ticket every week since I can't otherwise have a chance to buy all the new cams I want to try :p

I really like the idea of small rear cams with good performance. And just plain old good performance too. Until recent times us budget-limited types had to settle for marginal vid quality, especially at night- now we're getting some really nice cams we can afford :D

I wonder what effect this will have on the marketing of higher-priced cams n0w that these newer cams are closing the performance and feature gap? Who would spend 3x the price just to get a cam that is only 1.5X better? And what will happen with the older designs which now compare badly- will we see those companies disappear because of poor sales? o_O

These are very good times for us dashcam enthusiasts to be sure :D
Phil

I'm intrigued by the term "Extreme Temperature Resistance" as a primary feature. The design of the housing on this one suggests that it could be a very stable camera/lens combination.

Reactions: Mtz
...I wonder what effect this will have on the marketing of higher-priced cams n0w that these newer cams are closing the performance and feature gap? Who would spend 3x the price just to get a cam that is only 1.5X better? And what will happen with the older designs which now compare badly- will we see those companies disappear because of poor sales? o_O

These are very good times for us dashcam enthusiasts to be sure :D
Phil
Presumably there will still be a good market for cameras with more expensive low light sensors like the Sony IMX 291 which is significantly better in real darkness, although if you only ever drive under street lights there doesn't seem to be a huge difference from the IMX323. Beyond that the more expensive cameras are going to have to go to 4K resolution and solve the problems with low light performance and overheating. 4K sensors are getting better in low light, but only slowly so maybe we will see some dual sensor dashcams soon like we have dual sensor phones, IMX 291 for use in low light combined with IMX117 for daylight use, we already have dual sensor chipsets available as used in the mini 0906 for front and rear views. Problem is the market for 4K dashcams is probably going to be quite small which will make them expensive, cheaper to buy a cheap Viofo WR1 for night + daytime and add a Gitup F1 for simultaneous 4K footage.

Reactions: Mtz
Looking forward to more on the F1.

How good does the vision need to be in a Dash Cam? I mean .. it's not a Movie.

See this -----> M ... it's an 'M' right? .. the res on this screen is 1680x1050 ... Do we really need 4K .. to see that it is an M? ... No we don't. Will 4 or 8K make it it look any more M ish than it already is? 1440p is very nice .. and as good as it needs to be for the purpose of Insurance/Police imho. Lighten up night vision, sure. Extend the distance for seeing number plates clearly, yeah.

Dammit .. the Car is too far away .. can't make out the plate.. wouldn't it be great to have a zoom lens
.. and place a zoom button on the Steering Wheel.. I'd like some of that. Better add one for the rear.

Last edited:

See this -----> M ... it's an 'M' right? .. the res on this screen is 1680x1050 ... Do we really need 4K .. to see that it is an M? ... No we don't. Will 4 or 8K make it it look any more M ish than it already is?
1440p is very nice .. and as good as it needs to be for the purpose of Insurance/Police imho. Lighten up night vision, sure. Extend the distance for seeing number plates clearly, yeah. Zoom lens?

It doesn't work like that. The "M" is stationary on your screen and is not photographically captured.

As for the required detail to be captured, that depends on the situation. In my case I became interested in dash cams because of a criminal matter where I was being harassed and threatened by someone in a vehicle I once did some business with who broke a contract and wasn't happy that he got sued so he would do things like swerve his car at me. It is often not enough to identify a particular vehicle or even a license plate. In some situations you need to identify the person driving, or how many people are in the car or specific details of a particular vehicle such as a logo on the door. After four years of seeing many comments from people on DCT who don't think capturing the highest quality imagery possible is important using words such as "it's not a movie" it has become clear than none of the members making comments like that have ever actually been in a situation where they needed to use their dash cam footage in a serious legal or insurance matter where law enforcement officers, lawyers, prosecutors and insurance company representatives with vested interests are involved.

Last edited:

See this -----> M ... it's an 'M' right? .. the res on this screen is 1680x1050 ... Do we really need 4K .. to see that it is an M? ... No we don't. Will 4 or 8K make it it look any more M ish than it already is? 1440p is very nice .. and as good as it needs to be for the purpose of Insurance/Police imho. Lighten up night vision, sure. Extend the distance for seeing number plates clearly, yeah.

Dammit .. the Car is too far away .. can't make out the plate.. wouldn't it be great to have a zoom lens
.. and place a zoom button on the Steering Wheel.. I'd like some of that. Better add one for the rear.
  • 720 resolution dashcams were useless for reading plates, you had to be very lucky to catch one.
  • 1080 resolution dashcams can capture plates as long as the lens isn't too wide angle and you have good lighting for a fast shutter speed when the plate gets close enough for the resolution.
  • 4K resolution dashcams can be wide angle to capture all the action and still be able to capture the plate at a distance where you don't need a very fast shutter speed.
So no, you don't need a 4K dashcam, but they will both capture more action (due to the wider angle) and capture more plates (due to being able to resolve them further away with less motion blur).

But currently there aren't any 4K dashcams available and the 4K sensors used in most action cameras are not sufficiently light sensitive. Plus you can't normally use a 4K action camera as a dashcam in 4K mode because they have a habit of overheating.

But currently there aren't any 4K dashcams available and the 4K sensors used in most action cameras are not sufficiently light sensitive. Plus you can't normally use a 4K action camera as a dashcam in 4K mode because they have a habit of overheating.

So how does the F1 combat the overheating issue? Or will the recommended resolution for dash cam usage be 2K or 1080p?

So how does the F1 combat the overheating issue? Or will the recommended resolution for dash cam usage be 2K or 1080p?
Basic science - small things always cool better than big things...

Basic science - small things always cool better than big things...
I'm not sure that's basic science. Cooling has to do with the surface area exposed to heat transfer. That's why it's so important for heat sinks to make full contact to the cpu in a computer. That being said, small things are generally optimized to generate less heat simply because cooling would be harder.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It is often not enough to identify a particular vehicle or even a license plate. In some situations you need to identify the person driving, or how many people are in the car or specific details of a particular vehicle such as a logo on the door. After four years of seeing many comments from people on DCT who don't think capturing the highest quality imagery possible is important using words such as "it's not a movie" it has become clear than none of the members making comments like that have ever actually been in a situation where they needed to use their dash cam footage in a serious legal or insurance matter where law enforcement officers, lawyers, prosecutors and insurance company representatives with vested interests are involved.
This is where "the rubber meets the road", as they say.

I'm not sure that's basic science. Cooling has to do with the surface area exposed to heat transfer. That's why it's so important for heat sinks to make full contact to the cpu in a computer. That being said, small things are generally optimized to generate less heat simply because cooling would be harder.
Iceberg v ice cube, which melts quicker?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W WR1 48
W WR1 0
Yooshaw WR1 3
J WR1 4
J WR1 5
Back