Nextbase 312GW problem?

I wouldn't be so sure, dashcams are about the hardest product to accommodate when it comes to memory cards, I'd try a good top tier brand name card instead, your errors are consistent with poor memory card quality

Ok thanks for that, recommend any good memory card?

Ok thanks for that, recommend any good memory card?

Samsung or Transcend would be my choice but prices are high at the moment.
With soaring prices for micro sd cards over the last year or so, many months ago I thought I'd try a couple of Toshiba Exceria 32GB which I picked from Amazon up for under £10 each and they've been fine in various dashcams so they could be a worthwhile budget choice.

Beware sellers offering low-cost top-branded memory cards because there are large numbers of low-quality fakes out there. Only buy top-tier memory cards from top-tier sellers.

In my experience, failing, under-spec or fake memory cards are the most common source of problems in dashcams. Second most common source of problems is the power supply to the cam, especially if not using the manufacturer supplied cable and in particular if a DIY or improvised USB cable is more than about 3.5m long.

Thanks guys for all your help, very much appreciate the advice, great forum!

I bought the Nextbase 312GW dash can a few weeks ago. Just today there was an incident on the motorway and I pressed the button to save the file but when I got home the camera didn't seem to record anything for the last 15mins of my driving? Does anyone have any idea why it did not save the file? I am disappointed in this camera already :(

Hello pjos11
I have a 512GW, which I believe is similar. I doubt if it is your memory card. Sandisk are reputable world leaders in memory cards.
It could be the problem is pressing the wrong button at your moment of emergency. With my camera, it is so easy to catch the wrong button and turn-off the device rather than protecting the files.

It is virtually impossible to gauge if the thing is on or off. Same prob to know if it's recording or not. Ditto protected or not. There is an indicator light, but that is useless in daylight as it becomes invisible.

There is a feature on mine, the unit tells me (ie a spoken voice) its settings. This can be helpful; so definitely worth turning-on of yours is similar.

My advice to anyone with a new dashcam is to practice saving a pretend emergency file. Extracting the same to a PC and emailing it to a pretend insurance company.

Sandisk are reputable world leaders in memory cards.

While this is true, it is widely known and well-documented that many SanDisk cards do not perform well in dashcams or other write-intensive environments. They have some newer cards which are more compatible but you should use only those in dashcams. Many 'cam failures' have been solved by losing the SanDisk card in favor of ones known to work better ;)

Phil

With my camera, it is so easy to catch the wrong button and turn-off the device rather than protecting the files..

if that's actually possible that's a serious oversight and something they should address in the firmware to prevent that even being a possibility, in most models you'd need to press and hold the power button for around 5 seconds to get it shut off while recording, any short press of the power button should be ignored as a power off command

it is widely known and well-documented that many SanDisk cards do not perform well in dashcams
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I'm not sure I agree on your take on SanDisk. Happy to learn from you - maybe a new thread ??
Anyway, to try and assist the OP. Everything was working fine before an incident. After the event, it stopped recording. Some are blaming SanDisk. Sorry but that's a bit far fetched.
I think it's more likely to be a combination of (1)newbie user of the device, (2) a bit of panic after the problem and (3) poorly designed device.

Also, are you still reading pjos11? People are trying to help you.

Thanks

Last edited:
if that's actually possible that's a serious oversight and something they should address in the firmware to prevent that even being a possibility, in most models you'd need to press and hold the power button for around 5 seconds to get it shut off while recording, any short press of the power button should be ignored as a power off command
Hello Jokiin
That's a very valid point. As you say, hold for 5 seconds would be better. OR perhaps press once and then confirm via a prompt.
I can't think of any reason to turn the camera off whilst driving, so why not disable the thing altogether for a moving car.
I have tried on my unit (not exactly the same as OP) and power-off is under 2 seconds.

It is not far-fetched to note the troubles with some SanDisk cards and dashcams. There are dozens if not over a hundred instances noted here on DCT alone where erratic cam operation with almost every brand of cam was solved by ending the use of SanDisk cards :eek: Most of the better cam manufacturers do not recommend them. While they give stellar performance almost everywhere else, they don't always do that here. The problem is in the card OS which is not set up the same as most other manufacturers and is not done to industry standards which the other card makers follow ;) That difference is precisely why they are so good elsewhere, but it causes problems here which is one of the most write-intensives uses for SD cards. If you'll do a bit of research on the SanDisk site you will see that they neither recommend or warranty most of their cards for dashcam use. Not rumor, not opinion, but their own official words from themselves :cool: The card line they now make for dashcams does seem to do well as does their 400GB card, both newer developments. Otherwise most of their cards simply have a history of more fails than wins with dashcams which is why you will discover that most of those who've been in the dashcam game for more than a few years use other cards which have a much more solid record of trouble-free functioning.

I have no dog in this fight; I simply want everyone to have good trouble-free experiences with their cams- not needless frustrations and failures.

Phil

Last edited:
A pretty good article on cards :D Few of the usual 'card tests' in the past included high-bitrate video because it wasn't common but now it is ;)
The old Samsung EVO cards have a good reputation, but with their 'new' EVO lineup the "Plus" and "Select" are the ones to get. The Transcend 400X cards also do very well. PNY and Kingston are also good choices but I'm not familiar with their lines. The old Lexar 633X was another good card but Lexar is selling it's removable memory business and the new ones have given problems so I'd pass on that brand now.

You will find a few users who have gotten good results from other cards (including SanDisk) but that is not the norm. If everything is working fine there's certainly no reason to "fix it" but SD cards are one of the most common causes of recording failure and erratic operation with dashcams so by staying with only the cards known to work well you greatly lower the chances of having problems. Given how critical reliable recording might be with a dashcam it doesn't make sense to take chances.

There's a lot to know about SD cards which aren't as simple as they may seem, and a lot of threads here on DCT going into comparisons, explanations, and of problems people have had with them in every style of cam. Check around the site and you'll find those threads a-plenty, but all you really need to know is which cards are known to work well and which ones to avoid then follow along yourself/

Phil

It is not far-fetched to note the troubles with some SanDisk cards and dashcams.

Phil
Hello Phil

I wasn’t saying it was far-fetched to allege troubles with SanDisk. That is a reasonable debate and I have no issue. I am not sure I accept your interpretation but that was NOT my point.

What I was saying is that if a camera suddenly stops working the moment someone has a driving incident it is far-fetched to blame the SD card.

On that I'd agree with you ;) There have been instances reported where cards failed upon a crash but those are rare and were always caused by external sources such as the card ejecting from the cam or the cam malfunctioning and losing the last file or damaging the card electrically. Which would be the same with any card. Still it is best to not use SanDisk cards that are not known as performing well in dashcams. There are better choices available for this usage which was my point.

Cheers!
Phil

I am a complete novice regarding the use of dashcams. I have a Nextbase 312gw which occasionally stops recording. I have a 32GB memory card from Sandisk. it is a class 10 card as recommended by Nextbase. What I did not realise is that these cards have different write speeds. Mine is 45 mb/s which appears to be the most common on sale. However, Nextbase recommend 48 mb/s. I have now purchased one with "up to" 98 mb/s and will be trying this card to see if the problem clears.

Hi @1st time user don’t worry we have all started somewhere!

If you had a SanDisk class 10 card it should be fine - providing its regularly formatted and a genuine card. How often have you been formatting it?

Is there any error message on the screen when you notice it’s stopped recording?

I upgraded from a Sandisk 32gb micro sd card in my 412gw to a sandisk ‘ultra’ 64gb class 10 & upto 80mb/s. It’s been in my device since February 17 until now & have never had an issue with it & i admittedly only format my micro sd card once every month or so!

I am a complete novice regarding the use of dashcams. I have a Nextbase 312gw which occasionally stops recording. I have a 32GB memory card from Sandisk. it is a class 10 card as recommended by Nextbase. What I did not realise is that these cards have different write speeds. Mine is 45 mb/s which appears to be the most common on sale. However, Nextbase recommend 48 mb/s. I have now purchased one with "up to" 98 mb/s and will be trying this card to see if the problem clears.

Class 10 should be more than adequate.
If the card turns out to be the problem, most likely the card will be found to be fake, faulty or worn out.
It's also possible there's a problem with the power supply (including use of a non-OEM power supply), or a fault with the cam itself, or something in the cam's settings needs changing.

I’ve always purchased my micro sd cards from ‘my memory’ and have never failed on me and are genuine cards.

Agreed with all the above, definitely worth always using a genuine out the box supplied charger to avoid any non recording issues

Back