nextbase 512g freezing

Gazbaz77

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I recently bought the above dash cam and two times recently I've gone to either turn it off or use the functions snd it seems to be frozen up and inoperable. I normally remove the power supply and wait for the internal battery to run out then restart it and everything works again. Anyone have or have had this issue before or have a i got a faulty cam?

What memory card do you use ?

32 g

A 32gb sandisk extreme.
When was the last time you formatted it inside dashcam?

Sandisk are usually hit and miss and not recommended to use in dashcam except their Endurance series.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

When was the last time you formatted it inside dashcam?

Sandisk are usually hit and miss and not recommended to use in dashcam except their Endurance series.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk
I've been formating via the cam frequently, and formatted inbetween it freezing up.

I didn't think the wrong ad card could cause such issues.

I've got it hard wired into a live fuse so it will constantly record when parked up for a while. Sometimes I'll forget to turn the cam off on an evening so it'll be running all night. It worked fine until I left it running for a long period so it could be that.

What sd card would you recommend?

I've been formating via the cam frequently, and formatted inbetween it freezing up.

I didn't think the wrong ad card could cause such issues.

I've got it hard wired into a live fuse so it will constantly record when parked up for a while. Sometimes I'll forget to turn the cam off on an evening so it'll be running all night. It worked fine until I left it running for a long period so it could be that.

What sd card would you recommend?

For some daschams SanDisk may work, for most not, hit and miss case.
Also if you run it 24/7 then it's normal that memory card wears out much quicker. 32GB card has less writing cycles comparing to 64 or 128GB. Also it depends on the type of memory card used ( MLC, SLC, TLC etc ).
Most likely your card is getting closer to it's normal lifespan considering "stress" it has to go trough when used for constant "parking" recording.

Try a Kingston or Samsung memory card next and that should sort any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also if you run it 24/7 then it's normal that memory card wears out much quicker. 32GB card has less writing cycles comparing to 64 or 128GB. Also it depends on the type of memory card used ( MLC, SLC, TLC etc ).
Most likely your card is getting closer to it's normal lifespan considering "stress" it has to go trough when used for constant "parking" recording.
Ahh. Might wire it a fuse that's only live when ignition is turned on then. did not realise sd cards could be worn out.

I did like the fact my car was kind of protected whilst I was away from it whilst parked for short periods, but no good if it's going to ware my sd cards out if I forget to turn it off.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Hi. I recently bought the above dash cam and two times recently I've gone to either turn it off or use the functions snd it seems to be frozen up and inoperable. I normally remove the power supply and wait for the internal battery to run out then restart it and everything works again. Anyone have or have had this issue before or have a i got a faulty cam?
Yes Same. I keep using the reset to get it running again.

Has anyone tried a 64gb in a 512g?
it says 32gb only???

it says 32gb only???

My colleague bought the nextbase and had a 64gb class 10 sam disk to hand. Despite the device only supporting 32gb as listed, the 64gb card is working without issue and has been for for some weeks now. Also its utilising the total card size and not topping out at 32gb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of interest - what is the time shown on the screen when it freezes. I've noticed mine always freezes at exactly 13:10:4x

How bizarre. Mine freezes on exactly the same time. 13.10.45!
Had unit replaced at Halfords as the could not explain. Brand new 32g sandisk. Hard wired to always on but BMW cuts power to unit after some time. Exactly the same happening with 2nd unit.

How bizarre. Mine freezes on exactly the same time. 13.10.45!
Had unit replaced at Halfords as the could not explain. Brand new 32g sandisk. Hard wired to always on but BMW cuts power to unit after some time. Exactly the same happening with 2nd unit.
I would replace the SanDisk card. They do not work well in dash cameras.

it says 32gb only???
The 512G will only accept up to 32GB, you can get SanDisk High endurance cards which are designed for continuous recording devices.
Other options are the Lexar or Transcend, due to the way Samsung cards are manufactured it causes them to be unreliable in dash cams.

My 512G freezes at 13:10:44 every second or third day, whether it has been on overnight or just for a few minutes. My unit was replaced twice and I'm now on my third 512G, which is still doing it. Nextbase have told me that they know nothing about this freezing at 13:10:44, but I know other users who are also having this issue and have contacted them too. My 512G is hardwired in. This is not an SD card fault, it is probably an issue with the boot OS of the device, (like the BIOS on a computer), although it could also be an issue with the GPS timing/sync module. I have tried five different SD cards and none of them have solved the problem. I use Industrial High-Spec SD cards designed specifically for CCTV footage.
I have taken videos on my phone showing this happening numerous times.
I would rate the Nextbase 512G a Zero out of five, as it has caused me to miss recording very important footage and is therefore not fit for purpose.

Shame on Nextbase for failing to rectify this well documented problem with the 512G.

I used to own a nextbase 402g, had it around a year or so and in that time it went back to nextbase for a new internal battery & firmware update. As it was not recording correctly, it would get stuck on record and only record 3-6 mins of journey and stop recording. I brought a nextbase 412gw and have had no issues with since I brought it from Halfords November 2016. Been using a SAN disk 64gb micro sd card formatted to FAT32 from EXFAT32 and it has recorded faultlessly! May even purchase a 128gb micro sd card next for maximum recording!

My 512G freezes at 13:10:44 every second or third day, whether it has been on overnight or just for a few minutes. My unit was replaced twice and I'm now on my third 512G, which is still doing it. Nextbase have told me that they know nothing about this freezing at 13:10:44, but I know other users who are also having this issue and have contacted them too. My 512G is hardwired in. This is not an SD card fault, it is probably an issue with the boot OS of the device, (like the BIOS on a computer), although it could also be an issue with the GPS timing/sync module. I have tried five different SD cards and none of them have solved the problem. I use Industrial High-Spec SD cards designed specifically for CCTV footage.
I have taken videos on my phone showing this happening numerous times.
I would rate the Nextbase 512G a Zero out of five, as it has caused me to miss recording very important footage and is therefore not fit for purpose.

Shame on Nextbase for failing to rectify this well documented problem with the 512G.

I'm sorry you're experiencing this, we would certainly like to hear from you Paul! Are you able to call us on 02920 866 429 or email our support team at support@nextbase.co.uk ?

I am on my second 512G bought from Halfords, I also bought the Nextbase branded accessory Sandisc 32 gig memory card at the same time. The first unit started locking up so updated to latest firmware and changed memory card, still the same, after a few days it started locking up again requiring the reset being pressed to restore function. Halfords replaced the card and the camera. Updated straight away to latest firmware it has been fine for two weeks, now it has started to freeze up again. The unit is fitted into an AA service van and used 11 hours a day. Two serious incidents were missed due to the locking up which went unnoticed as the screen shows an image, but the red light no longer flashes, and the time stanp is frozen.
I need a camera to just work and not have to faff about resetting two or three times a day. The card has been formatted via the camera but makes no difference. A different make card also makes no difference, the fault is with the camera unit.
If you do take your unit back to halfords, make sure you are running the latest firmware or they will tell you to go away and try it with the update first, prior to swapping it out.
Taking mine back for a refund.

Just looked at the time on my frozen screen and it is 13:10:44 when it starts the sequence of lockups.....
Nextbase you now are aware of the problem.

I brought a 402g and within a few months it failed to record at certain intervals, and then some days it would freeze and would not record & as mentioned above I had to let it run until run out of battery life. I sent mine back to NB and they put in a new battery & updated the firmware. All seemed fine, until November 2016 and it gave up the ghost completely. I purchased the 412gw with 64gb Sandisk ultra sd card and it has been flawless

Back