Nexus 4 Pro Firmware (and APP) Bugs & Issues Thread [UPDATED 24th Feb 2024]

I think it has something to do with the way the app stores videos. You can download the videos from the camera and then need to press the sync button to download them to the storage where it is accessible for users. Otherwise, the videos are stored somewhere within the app.
Please correct me if I am wrong
That would make sense but even when I delete it off my phone then it doesn't get deleted off the cache. Should reference back to the app when it does that otherwise end up with a giant ass cache lol

@Agie , can we add to the wish list to be able to turn off the green light? It could add more attention to the car when I have the convertible top off & wish it was possible like the blackvue allows.

Agreed

I have learned to NEVER trust manufacturer specifications, and ALWAYS confirm & verify with test equipment.
@rcg530 turned me onto these two devices that have helped me diagnose power starvation issues with USB cables, USB chargers, etc.
The DROK USB Load tester is excellent for only $15;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product

The Klein USB power tester is "expensive" at $40 but It's a quality name brand;

Without testing the true power capacity of cables & chargers under load you're in the dark about what you're actually getting.
@panzer do you know the true draw of the n4 pro by chance? I am going to hardwire mine w/ an auto voltage drain detector so my car battery doesn't die and was hoping to know how much amps I need. I am sure it's 5v but wasn't sure about amps needed for the n4 pro

I will confirm this with thermals over the weekend, cannot do in-line power testing until next week, but my initial hands on showed that that the interior/cabin camera doesn't disable when you're not recording the camera. It's also obvious when the light level drops low enough that the IR-block filter is flicked away.

Do we know how 1440p & 1080p are derived from the 3160p sensor? Are we looking at the SoC just doing bicubic/bilinear scaling, or does the sensor support pixel binning?

I will confirm this with thermals over the weekend, cannot do in-line power testing until next week, but my initial hands on showed that that the interior/cabin camera doesn't disable when you're not recording the camera. It's also obvious when the light level drops low enough that the IR-block filter is flicked away.

Do we know how 1440p & 1080p are derived from the 3160p sensor? Are we looking at the SoC just doing bicubic/bilinear scaling, or does the sensor support pixel binning?

Looking forward to you sharing your findings, don't know but as long as it's not interpolating I'm a happy man lol

Interpolation when you downscale is fine. The other way, upscaling, yeah no.

Last edited:
Well done the team, pity I’m not able to join you, despite sending PMs to Jeff, total silence.

Well done the team, pity I’m not able to join you, despite sending PMs to Jeff, total silence.
I know you were just as excited as the rest of us to get one, and I don't think a single person here on DCT has heard from Jeff since early August. They emailed back re-assuring that they take feedback here seriously, but they never replied to my follow-up emails.

They are obviously monitoring the forum, as you can see Jeff continuously logging in, so they must be reading everything but they're not engaging with any of us :(

I noticed that voice commands wouldn't work for me when Audio Noise Reduction was turned on. I also wish there were an option to disable motion detection on either front or rear camera in addition to the current area options. In my case I have a tree that blows with the wind that triggers motion in my rear cam. One last issue for me is that Auto screen brightness seems to always be on high, even in complete darkness.

I noticed that voice commands wouldn't work for me when Audio Noise Reduction was turned on. I also wish there were an option to disable motion detection on either front or rear camera in addition to the current area options. In my case I have a tree that blows with the wind that triggers motion in my rear cam. One last issue for me is that Auto screen brightness seems to always be on high, even in complete darkness.
Those would be some good options, interesting with the auto screen brightness though I must say I haven't noticed it that much as it's currently summer here. Will have to re-look at the unit, as I cannot recall if it has an ambient light sensor or not

Bugs in APP (4th Nov 2023 - current version 1.0.35)

Listed bugs were observed in version 1.0.32:

1. Translation issue when starting app, says "Get Start" instead of "Get Started" (fixed in 1.0.35)
2. When setting HDR toggles for individual cameras (rear, front, cabin) within the app, the app crashes and you need to re-connect to the camera again (fixed in 1.0.35)
3. Please add option like "Do Not Show Again" as every time the app is started, it gives you instructions to how to connect via WiFi to your camera (fixed in 1.0.35 - you need to go to the About tab and toggle "Wi-Fi Connection Guide" to Off)
4. Remove orange background on "Software V 1.0.XX" and also the cloud icon, as this is indicating to me that there is an update available - when there is no update available (fixed in 1.0.35)
5. Remove cloud icon on "Firmware OTA update for dash cam" as this is also indicating to me that there is an update available - when there is no update available (fixed in 1.0.35)
for 3. and 4. - please only display cloud icon when there is an update available to download
6. In the "About" tab, links for Facebook, Twitter (X), Instagram and Reddit do not work - please update these to work (fixed in 1.0.35 except Twitter)
7. Please add section to display the list of Voice Commands available inside the app - it can be frustrating as they are not listed in the PDF (or paper) user guides and the only way to view them is through using the camera screen itself
I'm about to upgrade to the latest firmware, but the one just before it has #7 in it, fwiw. You can toggle them on/off.

Bugs on device (10th Sep 2023):

1. Even though the "Wifi off after 10 minutes" option is on, when you try and connect to the camera (even after turning the wifi on using the button manually) it still won't connect to the camera to view and download footage straight after an accident. I need to turn the ignition off then turn it back on to connect.
  • Event detection randomly goes off, the screen is off but I can hear the photo-taken chime. These were when I was stopped at a traffic light or a carpark, there were no objects/cars/people close to the car either. I have turned G sensor to setting of 1, but still happens.

Bugs on device (5th Oct 2023):
  1. When using a non-Vantrue power supply, sometimes the dash cam plays the power-on and power-off chimes, and sometimes it doesn't. It used to play every single time with the official Vantrue power supply, but with third-party power, it does not.
I only have an inline USB type A monitor atm, type C was sold as new but is broken before it shipped. I'll be testing power usage for multiple system states tonight.

Interpolation when you downscale is fine. The other way, upscaling, yeah no.
Initial sniff says that we're probably using a different readout mode on the sensor as power usage drops notably for lower resolutions, fwiw.

Those would be some good options, interesting with the auto screen brightness though I must say I haven't noticed it that much as it's currently summer here. Will have to re-look at the unit, as I cannot recall if it has an ambient light sensor or not
Any particular requests for power usage? I figured out why the cabin camera was on, Auto IR light usage. I'm currently in the realm of thought that Vantrue is just using the cameras' metering as the light sensors; interior or exterior.

I'm about to upgrade to the latest firmware, but the one just before it has #7 in it, fwiw. You can toggle them on/off.

I only have an inline USB type A monitor atm, type C was sold as new but is broken before it shipped. I'll be testing power usage for multiple system states tonight.

Initial sniff says that we're probably using a different readout mode on the sensor as power usage drops notably for lower resolutions, fwiw.

Any particular requests for power usage? I figured out why the cabin camera was on, Auto IR light usage. I'm currently in the realm of thought that Vantrue is just using the cameras' metering as the light sensors; interior or exterior.
#7 I'm talking about the app, not the camera firmware itself. I know the camera you can see the list, but you can't see it in the app unless I'm missing something

No particular requests, interested in any observations you have though as it's all good stuff to know and hopefully they can implement fixes on if needed

Minimum average power draw I can get down to ~4 W. Since I want 100ths precision, I might wait for a banana plug to USB terminal adapter so I can data log and run from a linear supply.

Minimum average power draw I can get down to ~4 W. Since I want 100ths precision, I might wait for a banana plug to USB terminal adapter so I can data log and run from a linear supply.
That figure seems ok so far but wouldn't want it to be too much higher in usage practice I'm guessing..

That figure seems ok so far but wouldn't want it to be too much higher in usage practice I'm guessing..
We're going to have to ask for a lot of firmware changes if you want it lower. You'll have to remove the rear camera and drop recording resolutions down dramatically. With only the front camera active, IR LEDs off (which means the cabin camera, 1080p in low bitrate mode, we can bring the parking camera power usage to ~3.65 W. When I say minimum, I'm referencing Parking Mode, not stand by or when you have the car running.

We're going to have to ask for a lot of firmware changes if you want it lower. You'll have to remove the rear camera and drop recording resolutions down dramatically. With only the front camera active, IR LEDs off (which means the cabin camera, 1080p in low bitrate mode, we can bring the parking camera power usage to ~3.65 W. When I say minimum, I'm referencing Parking Mode, not stand by or when you have the car running.
Saw these figures down bottom, I know not same model but at least 3Ch setup

Attachments

• IMG_20231105_054615.jpg
    IMG_20231105_054615.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 18
A few more bug fixes in the latest ECJ-202 firmware for the Nexus 4 Pro, published 7th Nov 2023, keep up to date with the changes here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...hread-updated-11th-nov-2023.49679/post-601357

Nice to see that they've finally added the list of voice commands available on the dash cam itself, to the APP. Audio Noise Reduction and daylight savings time toggles are also now present in the app, saves having to go through the app to activate/deactivate these.

Sadly, the Audio Noise Reduction bug is still not resolved.

1699652339758.jpg 1699652339756.jpg 1699652339753.jpg 1699652339751.jpg 1699652339748.jpg

Last edited:
Back