Nexus 4 Pro Firmware (and APP) Bugs & Issues Thread [UPDATED 24th Feb 2024]

Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
70mai S500, A229 Pro, VS1, Nexus 4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3v2v1
I'm sure some firmware bugs have been reported to Vantrue @Jeff_Vantrue or through their official support channels, but wondering if it might be useful to collate them all under the one umbrella here if we experience any.

NOTE: Please scroll down to see the latest messages on this thread for any updates or new bugs discovered

Current firmware version as of 24th Feb 2024:

Front Camera: VT-EDB181
Cabin Camera: VT-ECD191
Rear Camera: VT-ECK301

Wish-list:
  • HDR on/off or auto timer like other brands e.g. Viofo has?
  • Possible removal of Sync feature from app, these should be downloaded to phone storage from app already
  • Show the amount of storage left on microSD card within the app itself when checking
  • Ability to turn off green indicator light on the unit itself (thanks @J Ward
  • Please add section to display the list of Voice Commands available inside the app - it can be frustrating as they are not listed in the PDF (or paper) user guides and the only way to view them is through using the camera screen itself (fixed in firmware ECJ202)

Last edited:
Bugs in APP (noted 4th Nov 2023 - current version 1.0.43 as of 24th Feb 2024)

Listed bugs were observed in version 1.0.32:

1. Translation issue when starting app, says "Get Start" instead of "Get Started" (fixed in 1.0.35)
2. When setting HDR toggles for individual cameras (rear, front, cabin) within the app, the app crashes and you need to re-connect to the camera again (fixed in 1.0.35)
3. Please add option like "Do Not Show Again" as every time the app is started, it gives you instructions to how to connect via WiFi to your camera (fixed in 1.0.35 - you need to go to the About tab and toggle "Wi-Fi Connection Guide" to Off)
4. Remove orange background on "Software V 1.0.XX" and also the cloud icon, as this is indicating to me that there is an update available - when there is no update available (fixed in 1.0.35)
5. Remove cloud icon on "Firmware OTA update for dash cam" as this is also indicating to me that there is an update available - when there is no update available (fixed in 1.0.35)
for 3. and 4. - please only display cloud icon when there is an update available to download
6. In the "About" tab, links for Facebook, Twitter (X), Instagram and Reddit do not work - please update these to work (fixed in 1.0.35 except Twitter)
7. Even though the "Wifi off after 10 minutes" option is on, when you try and connect to the camera (even after turning the wifi on using the button manually) it still won't connect to the camera to view and download footage straight after an accident. I need to turn the ignition off then turn it back on to connect. (fixed in 1.0.35)
8. Firmware update not prompting correctly in Android app, even when tapping manually on the "Firmware OTA update for dash cam" entry in the About tab - (fixed in 1.0.35/firmware ECJ-202)

Bugs on device (as of 24th Feb 2024):

1. When adjusting the volume of the dashcam itself, it does not reflect that setting in the Power On Sound. It always makes the maximum volume sound on boot-up; on older firmware it used to chime at a lower volume (if set to that) Behaviour modified so that at every boot and turn-off screen now, Vantrue loading screen displays - i.e. waits for power to be cut to cameras before turning off properly (fixed in firmware EDA-101)
2. "Audio Noise Reduction" feature introduces distortion when turned on, into the audio recordings. See here for details: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-channel-dash-camera-review.49696/post-605970 (fixed in firmware ECK-142)
3. Event detection randomly goes off, the screen is off but I can hear the photo-taken chime. These were when I was stopped at a traffic light or a carpark, there were no objects/cars/people close to the car either (still not fixed in firmware ECK-142)
4. Format Reminder works correctly on the day it is requested to display the prompt to format the card (e.g. 30 days in the future), but on that particular day it repeatedly asks to format the card if the ignition is turned on or off (observed in firmware ECK-142) (fixed in firmware EDB-181)

Last edited:
Bugs (5th Oct 2023):
  1. When using a non-Vantrue power supply, sometimes the dash cam plays the power-on and power-off chimes, and sometimes it doesn't. It used to play every single time with the official Vantrue power supply, but with third-party power, it does not.
What power supply are you using? Is the output sufficient? Is the camera actually powering up properly? Calling it a bug when it only happens using non-Vantrue hardware is a bit unfair.

What power supply are you using? Is the output sufficient? Is the camera actually powering up properly? Calling it a bug when it only happens using non-Vantrue hardware is a bit unfair.
Baseus CCJDZ-MC, used with 3 metre long 5A 20v USB-C to USB-C cables. Camera is powering up and powering down correctly each time.

I note on the specs for the Baseus that it has values of 5V3A as the lowest for both USB-C and USB-A. The stock Vantrue integrated charger is 5V2.4A listed on its specs.

Not sure if it makes a big difference but I could be mistaken. It's PPS the Baseus charger so should flip around and settle on a value depending on what current/voltage draw it detects in the device connected to it.

Calling it a bug when it only happens using non-Vantrue hardware is a bit unfair.
Agreed
I note on the specs for the Baseus that it has values of 5V3A as the lowest for both USB-C and USB-A. The stock Vantrue integrated charger is 5V2.4A listed on its specs.
I have learned to NEVER trust manufacturer specifications, and ALWAYS confirm & verify with test equipment.
@rcg530 turned me onto these two devices that have helped me diagnose power starvation issues with USB cables, USB chargers, etc.
The DROK USB Load tester is excellent for only $15;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product

The Klein USB power tester is "expensive" at $40 but It's a quality name brand;

Without testing the true power capacity of cables & chargers under load you're in the dark about what you're actually getting.

Attachments

• Klein .png
    Klein .png
    161.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DROK .png
    DROK .png
    180.2 KB · Views: 6
Agreed

I have learned to NEVER trust manufacturer specifications, and ALWAYS confirm & verify with test equipment.
@rcg530 turned me onto these two devices that have helped me diagnose power starvation issues with USB cables, USB chargers, etc.

Without testing the true power capacity of cables & chargers under load you're in the dark about what you're actually getting.
Will investigate the cheap USB load testers further thanks for that mate

Agreed

Apologies for the noob question, but how would one go about testing with this. Never used any electronics like this before.

Have this, but it's not quite the same I don't think: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...der_detail.order_detail_item.4.2626f19cBOmrv1

Priced at £31.90 in UK, with load or
£16.50 without

Toooo many to chose from but prices much better .

Attachments

• USB Power Tester .jpg
    USB Power Tester .jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 7
  • KEWEISI KWS-V30 .jpg
    KEWEISI KWS-V30 .jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 7
Toooo many to chose from but prices much better .
Check my link I posted above. Displays a lot of values and takes a few attachments.

£21.99 , not available in UK but can get thru Amazon ‍♂️

YOJOCK USB C Tester USB Power Meter 2 in 1 Digital Multimeter 3.6-32V 0-5.1A Voltage and Current Tester, Type C Voltmeter Battery Capacity Volt Ammeter Power Bank USB Cable Charger Detector https://a.co/d/9Plx9e4

This is only £16.99 + £7.99 shipping

YOJOCK USB C Tester USB Power Meter 2 in 1 Digital Multimeter 3.6-32V 0-5.1A Voltage and Current Tester, Type C Voltmeter Battery Capacity Volt Ammeter Power Bank USB Cable Charger Detector https://a.co/d/9Plx9e4

This is only £16.99 + £7.99 shipping
Haha that's the exact same one I have. Same link but they try and market it under different stores etc

Has anyone noticed the cache used by the Vantrue app?

I checked today and I literally have saved a few videos locally on my phone but deleted them later - the cache was at nearly 2GB!

I have no idea why the app has to use that much...

Has anyone noticed the cache used by the Vantrue app?

I checked today and I literally have saved a few videos locally on my phone but deleted them later - the cache was at nearly 2GB!

I have no idea why the app has to use that much...
I think it has something to do with the way the app stores videos. You can download the videos from the camera and then need to press the sync button to download them to the storage where it is accessible for users. Otherwise, the videos are stored somewhere within the app.
Please correct me if I am wrong

Back